Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

I'm really nervous about IX. JJ was able to "check every box" on the first one but TLJ has more emotion. It seems like JJ can have good ideas (like humanizing Storm troopers with Finn) but there's no follow through with character development (in either movie). I'm worried he will spend so much time tying up loose ends it will be devoid of anything impactful.

Knights of Ren the entire movie. 2 billion.

latest

giphy.gif

If there is no time jump in his movie it has no chance.

I still firmly believe we have two more films in this saga....

Did anyone ever call it a new trilogy? Or are we all assuming that.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it'll never happen but I'd watch a whole movie of Luke training, the temple getting destroyed, and Luke leaving.

While I didn't have much problem with Luke ending up the way he did in TLJ, it might help to see his progression towards the decision to die on the island. MH was one of the best actors in TLJ, what a shame to not utilize that.

I know it'll never happen but I'd watch a whole movie of Luke training, the temple getting destroyed, and Luke leaving.

While I didn't have much problem with Luke ending up the way he did in TLJ, it might help to see his progression towards the decision to die on the island. MH was one of the best actors in TLJ, what a shame to not utilize that.

Yeah this was the hard part for a lot of people....if they spent some time showing Luke, growing fearful, and how he and Kylo were interacting...maybe even allude to him being possessed by the dark side....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if they spent some time showing Luke, growing fearful, and how he and Kylo were interacting...maybe even allude to him being possessed by the dark side....

KIJ9SiR.jpg

Why?

They all would be toast if they ran into a couple rookie chicks with lightsabers they just learned how to turn on.

All the women in Star Wars are Mary Sues now anyway. Might as well make it look as bad*** as it can be.

Did anyone ever call it a new trilogy? Or are we all assuming that.....

Yes it's been a trilogy from the get-go. All three were scheduled from the first announcement (even though the dates have moved around a bit).

If they ever continued this saga it would probably be another trilogy down the track.

Part of the problem with the ST is that it couldn't show these major events except in brief flashbacks. Whereas Eps I-VI covered all the pivotal events.

Part of the problem with the ST is that it couldn't show these major events except in brief flashbacks. Whereas Eps I-VI covered all the pivotal events.

:exactly:

Yeah, you wonder why on earth we're watching the boredom of Rey and Luke as A-story when we should have been watching the "Han/Leia's son shows force powers and Luke agrees to train him and things go horribly wrong" storyline - even if that story was primarily carried by Ben/Kylo and another young (Rey-like) jedi trainee.

Going the way they have is like choosing to show TDK trilogy through the eyes of a homebody Alfred and his wife, where Alfred's always coming home telling what his boss has been up to lately and maybe we see a flashback if we're lucky.

Yeah, you wonder why on earth we're watching the boredom of Rey and Luke as A-story when we should have been watching the "Han/Leia's son shows force powers and Luke agrees to train him and things go horribly wrong" storyline - even if that story was primarily carried by Ben/Kylo and another young (Rey-like) jedi trainee.

With the de-ageing CGI available it's a wonder we didn't get exactly that. Flashback/Force projection Luke looked impressive; they could've done the same with Han and Leia. Or just pass off old Han/Leia as 20 years later (it worked for McGregor/Guinness!)

I know the ST is set up to introduce new characters and they only included the OT characters to get butts in the seats and to pass the torch but I can't help feeling like they were wasted entirely. I know there was no way to get Harrison to do more than one movie but Fisher wasn't that bad (better in TLJ than FA) and Hamill is perfect to watch. They should've been in it more. We'll never get these characters back together again and to waste the opportunity seems so terrible. For all three of them to never even be in the same room together? Even the moment with Luke and Leia at the end of TLJ feels off because he isn't *really* there.

I know the ST is set up to introduce new characters and they only included the OT characters to get butts in the seats and to pass the torch but I can't help feeling like they were wasted entirely. I know there was no way to get Harrison to do more than one movie but Fisher wasn't that bad (better in TLJ than FA) and Hamill is perfect to watch. They should've been in it more. We'll never get these characters back together again and to waste the opportunity seems so terrible. For all three of them to never even be in the same room together? Even the moment with Luke and Leia at the end of TLJ feels off because he isn't *really* there.

Hamill really came out best to me. I really don't like how HF has aged - I don't mean his physical looks, but what was once a lovable gruff cynic has somehow morphed with age into something much less likable or relatable. And CF I'm certain perhaps had a minor stroke, or had more plastic surgery than believed because her face just wasn't moving properly and it impacted her voice too (and its remarkable that CF lost weight and was presented as about as polished as she could be.) And age isn't the answer - Streep is much older than CF was.

Hamill I think has improved greatly with age - the whiny-voiced golly-gosh actor that they cut around in ESB is gone and he has weight and charisma onscreen. I like how his rugged face looks onscreen, especially when he lost weight for the role. As I've said before, even at his age right now (and he looks great for his age) I could see a darker Luke jedi movie (tonally more like Rogue One) with Hamill at its center.

But no, the "journey" of the wonderous, boring Rey and her fascinating partners-in-crime Kylo and Maz and Hux (oh, totally forgot to mention Poe and Finn - wonder how that happened?) will play on and on as Hamill ages out, with Disney likely glad to be rid of him for trolling their products on Twitter, then "apologizing."

Honestly, after TLJ, I'm beginning to feel like the ST has evolved into a calamity on the scale of the PT. Not because they are poorly written and acted like the PT, but because they squandered the last productive years of the OT principals with a "Star Wars for a new generation" mantra - when most of the audience was in fact older fans who in truth only wanted to see new characters because they were interacting with the classic characters.

I wish Disney luck with that new Rian-with-no-OT-characters-or-story trilogy - because as Han would say - "you're gonna need it."

Hamill I think has improved greatly with age - the whiny-voiced golly-gosh actor that they cut around in ESB is gone and he has weight and charisma onscreen. I like how his rugged face looks onscreen, especially when he lost weight for the role. As I've said before, even at his age right now (and he looks great for his age) I could see a darker Luke jedi movie (tonally more like Rogue One) with Hamill at its center.

Definitely. I was most worried about Hamill going into FA just because his original performance isn't top notch and voice acting seems to make actors a little more "over the top" like stage performers but dang he out-acted almost the entire cast with his one scene in FA, lol.

I really wanted Luke to go dark in TLJ (if you're gonna do, go all out) and have the crux of the movie be Rey being forced to pick between Kylo and Luke. The idea that she isn't sure who to trust because Luke is so different and we see the softer side of Kylo.

I loved the line where Kylo tells Rey "He senses your power like he sensed mine..." and it made me think it would've been kinda cool to play up the drama of whether or not Luke would attack Rey like he did in Kylo's memory of what happened. I think Hamill could've played that line really well and up the tension of the situation.

The idea that Luke sits her down and she immediately goes to the dark could've been more epic. Then you could have Kylo in her ear asking her why Luke is trying to stop her and that to be knowledgeable in the force is to explore both sides of the balance and that she *must* go to the pit to find out making it appear that Luke is the villain.

Then you could have Luke come back around and explain (more than the one line of dialogue we got) why the Jedi need to end. That after what happened with Ben he *had* to leave and go back to the roots of the Jedi and explore what it meant when he almost killed Ben. The idea that you could stop so much pain that Kylo would cause is really compelling to me. That even though it was a passing thought it needed to be explored if he should be the one to make that decision and this idea that maybe the force *needs* Kylo and what Luke's place is in the force.

I think Hamill could've pulled off that really dark side and then come back around to a character we trust and love again. One of my favorite examples is when he delivers the "Ok that is pretty much nowhere" joke line then goes right into "Why are you here" completely seriously and I believe the emotional shift, it doesn't come off weird or ruin the serious tone you want for them in that moment. Perfect transition.

Back