Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All so true. I got to grow up watching stuff like Star Wars, Back to the Future, Terminator, Goonies, Ghostbusters, etc. I think I just assumed that films with all that quality, imagination, and magic would continue being made forever...

:goodpost:

I feel so fortunate to have seen all of the 70s/80s/90s blockbuster classics at the time of release. My first young-kid movie memory is the long line for "Jaws" in 1975 - the first movie to "bust the block" and become a blockbuster. Perks of being an old fart.:yess:

They don't make 'em like they used too.

Where's my cane, dagnabbit.

VqUW.gif

Not.... Cinema....:lecture

They say your world dies before you do, but I didn't expect original movies would be included in that.:lol

I would love to take RO to 1977 and play it after ANH for the audience as a double feature opening night lol

People would scream in terror when Vader cuts down rebels -- woman would faint, as they always did way back in 1977.

The folding horizon would be incomprehensible back in 1977 and simply confuse the simple brains of early man.

I would love to take RO to 1977 and play it after ANH for the audience as a double feature opening night lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'd be like the audience overdosing on uppers (ANH) and then on downers (RO.)

Perfect for the 1970s.:dunno:rotfl

I think cgi Leia would be met with the same reaction from the Exorcist back then.

People would come out all sweaty dazed and nauseous lol

I truly wonder if they'd think Peter Cushing looked weird. They'd have no concept of CGI so the idea wouldn't even occur... they'd just assume it was him.

I'm certain they wouldn't understand what Cassian is saying half the time.

I think cgi Leia would be met with the same reaction from the Exorcist back then.

People would come out all sweaty dazed and nauseous lol

Mostly because back in 77, CF was hot and young, not a weird pasty animated character.:lecture:rotfl

I truly wonder if they'd think Peter Cushing looked weird. They'd have no concept of CGI so the idea wouldn't even occur... they'd just assume it was him.

The uncanny valley in theory works on any human in any time - its about the natural human ability to pick up subtleties of movement and appearance that says "ain't real."

How would those primitive people react to Infinity War? Giant purple man,aliens, racoons, people flying, people turning into dust?

I think Joker would fit in 1977 perfectly, as long as the film isn't advertised as Batman related?

The uncanny valley in theory works on any human in any time - its about the natural human ability to pick up subtleties of movement and appearance that says "ain't real."

But Tarkin looks pretty damn good in most scenes. Plus, you'd be going back to projector lamps... not the HD quality we're all used to now. I don't think Tarkin's "flaws" would read.

I can't subscribe the idea that the uncanny valley works on anyone in all time. Cavemen would certainly be fooled. I think people from the 19th century back would too. I mean, people leap from their seats and ran out of the way when they first projected that movie of the train steaming toward the camera.

But Tarkin looks pretty damn good in most scenes. Plus, you'd be going back to projector lamps... not the HD quality we're all used to now. I don't think Tarkin's "flaws" would read.

I can't subscribe the idea that the uncanny valley works on anyone in all time. Cavemen would certainly be fooled. I think people from the 19th century back would too. I mean, people leap from their seats and ran out of the way when they first projected that movie of the train steaming toward the camera.

Well, I meant people who are familiar with the concept of a projected screen that has enough clarity to see things clearly.

I mean a caveman would spend the whole time looking behind the screen (trying to see the onscreen people) instead of at the image, and even a 1920/30s audience would just be like "OMG the image looks like the real world versus that grainy-ass **** we're used to":lol

But yeah, Tarkin was very well done but I don't think it was 100% there. There were multiple times when I felt he had a subtle video game cut-scene look about him. The other thing was that he was in quite dark/contrasty surroundings nearly all the time - not sure if that helped or hurt the illusion.

Maybe a 1970s audience unfamiliar with the CGI tech might put it down to a slight frame-rate/projection speed glitch or something as to why Cushing felt slightly off.

I think Joker would fit in 1977 perfectly, as long as the film isn't advertised as Batman related?

Why wouldn't it? That's basically bleak 1970s New York presented in Joker. As I've said, remove a few words (Gotham, Joker, etc) and it's just a gritty 1970s drama-thriller called "Clown."

It's cool for us to see the era recreated (esp with the Scorsese homage angle) but to people in 1970s it would just be like "eh, that's the reality oustide the theater door."

It's cool for us to see the era recreated (esp with the Scorsese homage angle) but to people in 1970s it would just be like "eh, that's the reality oustide the theater door."

And they loved it. It was new to them, new to movie-goers after the groovy 60's. Everything had that Popeye Doyle look and feel. Even Saturday Night Fever -- god, what a horrible movie. And that was upbeat. Seen it lately? It looks like Taxi Driver even in the disco scenes. That was the style for everything from Dirty Harry to The Star Chamber to Invasion of the Body Snatchers to Saturday Night Fever to Dirty Larry Crazy Mary (or was it the other way round?) to Uptown Saturday Night to Macon County Line to White Line Fever.... it was gritty, dirty, real, stinky, shaky, foul-mouthed, sexed-up and rural... Rural is the key to the 70's.

Star Wars and Spielberg started the ball rolling to change all that. Movies got back their vivid color, their over-lit sets, their beautiful cinematography, etc...

And they loved it. It was new to them, new to movie-goers after the groovy 60's. Everything had that Popeye Doyle look and feel. Even Saturday Night Fever -- god, what a horrible movie. And that was upbeat. Seen it lately? It looks like Taxi Driver even in the disco scenes. That was the style for everything from Dirty Harry to The Star Chamber to Invasion of the Body Snatchers to Saturday Night Fever to Dirty Larry Crazy Mary (or was it the other way round?) to Uptown Saturday Night to Macon County Line to White Line Fever.... it was gritty, dirty, real, stinky, shaky, foul-mouthed, sexed-up and rural... Rural is the key to the 70's.

Star Wars and Spielberg started the ball rolling to change all that. Movies got back their vivid color, their over-lit sets, their beautiful cinematography, etc...

Travolta kinda commits rape in SNF - its in some ways a repugnant, ugly and gruesome movie. It became pop culture due to disco but not sure that movie was supposed to be upbeat (something somewhat similar, like Officer and a Gentleman, I would argue is.)

It was a gritty urban drama even at the time (I wanted to see it but was told no - and you didn't get many nos in that era,) and the fact it was a huge hit speaks volumes about why movies were so bullseye culturally back then and such a big deal to audiences for a whole host of social reasons (most of which don't exist anymore.)

Just as big physical stunts/chases up-close were a new/big deal for the 70s (built on as the 80s rolled around with movies like Raiders centered on big stunts/chases) the idea of location shooting in the 1970s was also new and edgy/cool - and also possible, due to cameras shrinking by like 80% from 1960 to 1970 and making handheld, movement and car mounts possible. So it's likely it was more about showing authenticity of the streets vs the sterile stagey sets of the 1960s that visually drove directors in that era of SNF, French Connection etc.

And you're right that Spielberg and Lucas basically staged a "return" back from the Midnight Cowboy grit (that movie, which I love, is such a sewer of humanity.) Much of that stench and craving for gritty authenticity was driven by the stench of Korea and more prominently Vietnam (and Watergate, which 100% stemmed from Vietnam,) but that was over by '75, enter Mr Lucas & Spielberg.

All of this is the reason why to me RO both works as a partner to ANH but also doesn't.

I got to grow up watching stuff like Star Wars, Back to the Future, Terminator, Goonies, Ghostbusters, etc. I think I just assumed that films with all that quality, imagination, and magic would continue being made forever...

Word. It would have been unfathomable for me back then to ever think that one day I'd actually wish for them to *not* make any more Terminator, ALIEN, Predator, Indy, SW, Die Hard, etc., movies.

Remember 1988/89 when there wasn't a single bad movie in any of the above franchises? We were so blissfully naive, lol.

:goodpost:

I feel so fortunate to have seen all of the 70s/80s/90s blockbuster classics at the time of release. My first young-kid movie memory is the long line for "Jaws" in 1975 - the first movie to "bust the block" and become a blockbuster. Perks of being an old fart.:yess:

I've got a feeling we're close in age. "Jaws" was THE first "wow!" film for me. I remember the beaches here in South Florida being considerably emptier due to that movie's affect.

As far as the "I can't wait for..." films, my quick list are the following:

1. Jaws 2 (yeah, that one disappointed but I remember as a kid being so looking forward to the sequel.)
2. Empire Strikes Back (My first opening day movie. Was 10th in line. Skipped school to be there. Local news stations interviewing us "nerds". A most memorable time for me.)
3. Aliens (* see T2 below)
4. Terminator 2 (The original made these must-see movies and they truly didn't disappoint.)
5. The Lord of the Rings (As an adult, these three films brought back that excitement and wonder of the previous listed films. Instant classics.)

They did do Honey I blew up the baby though in 1989... and Ghostbusters II. And Last Crusade (still brings me sadz). I liked Lethal Weapon II though.

Yeah, 1989 was kinda brutal - GB II, BTTF2 and Last Crusade were all kinda okay-ish but gradually left a bad taste for me.

And Honey I Shrunk the Kids I liked more than I should have because of Joe Johnston.

I've got a feeling we're close in age. "Jaws" was THE first "wow!" film for me. I remember the beaches here in South Florida being considerably emptier due to that movie's affect.

As far as the "I can't wait for..." films, my quick list are the following:

1. Jaws 2 (yeah, that one disappointed but I remember as a kid being so looking forward to the sequel.)
2. Empire Strikes Back (My first opening day movie. Was 10th in line. Skipped school to be there. Local news stations interviewing us "nerds". A most memorable time for me.)
3. Aliens (* see T2 below)
4. Terminator 2 (The original made these must-see movies and they truly didn't disappoint.)
5. The Lord of the Rings (As an adult, these three films brought back that excitement and wonder of the previous listed films. Instant classics.)

I was only 7 when Jaws came out, but I remember it being a huge deal that so many people were lined up to see it.

And ESB was my first "opening night" experience too - first showing. My mother beside me, fingers stuck in her ears as the Falcon roared overhead.:lol

Back