Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - May 24, 2019

Kathleen Kennedy seems to lack the eye for talent like her Marvel contemporary Kevin Feige has (who hit GOLD with the Russo Bros.). And this really seems to reek of a DISNEY "push" to get younger, "potentially-talented" directors on-the-cheap who they can control rather than relying on trusted, reliable and consistent directors (which seems like they finally did with Ron Howard on the Han Solo movie). DISNEY might bite the bullet and shell out some cash for a solid director for Episode IX. I think some upper-Disney execs TOLD Kennedy to get Ron Howard or someone they could "trust" so that they could better focus on Episode IX.

I wasn't impressed with the Trevorrow hiring when I first heard about it. The minor quirks of "Jurassic World" really demonstrate his weakness in directing and writing as the movie is a spot-flick (though it's entertaining) and he just really, REALLY lucked out by knowing the right people (Brad Bird, Spielberg, etc.). The guy also has VERY limited experience. He's just a few steps away from any of us directing a movie! I think Hollywood right now is in a mode where they think ALL these great indie-film directors can be big money, blockbuster movie directors and that's just not the case.

I think as long as we see Kathleen Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm, you'll keep seeing this "flip-flop" of directors with Star Wars movies.

He NEVER should have been hired in the first place- today they righted that wrong.
Brace yourself for JJ to be back..I'm not kidding

I understand wanting to take risk on new talent. It's the only way to find new blood. But she needs to pick directors that have genuine talent. So far, she has not found the next Spielberg that's for certain.

Honestly though, maybe the genuine talent doesn't want to touch Star Wars (or Marvel for that matter). This stuff must seem so stale to young creative artists.

Nolan will do it- or did he sign for Bond yet?????????????????:lol

Nolan will do it- or did he sign for Bond yet?????????????????:lol

He would make the worst Star Wars ever, guaranteed. His sensibilities are the exact opposite of what Star Wars needs.

He's way too cerebral. He might make an excellent Star Trek though.

He would make the worst Star Wars ever, guaranteed. His sensibilities are the exact opposite of what Star Wars needs.

He's way too cerebral. He might make an excellent Star Trek though.

or 2001 sequel- i loathe 2010.

Wasn't Interstellar his 2001, that sucked.

Inception had his Bond snow scene, was just ok at least better than Spectre's lol.

I'm calling it right now after Wonder Woman episode 9 is going to have a female director watch.

*Note to self, Khev and jye need to hang out more with Mad Old Lu lol

Yep even though he's more Team TFA than Team RO he's definitely one of us. :duff

I agree that Kennedy's instincts often don't pan out and that she's probably constantly on the hunt for the next "cheap Memento director makes awesome blockbuster" situation but I don't fault her for that. WB struck gold in 2005 and I think that LFL did the same with Edwards on RO and maybe even Johson for TLJ. Even better than her searching for hungry (albeit cheap) talent is that she will NOT stay the course and let the captains sink the ship if she detects that they are leading the Saga astray. As we've already discussed many times there are tons of examples of "auteurs" going completely off the rails and making absolutely idiotic decisions that demand either hard or soft reboots in order to clean up the mess (Hulk fighting giant Jellyfish Dad is just one of many examples.) So I do take some comfort in knowing that Kennedy is not a slave to the "genius" of any given filmmaker or one hit wonder, especially if the genius is merely of the "Emperor's New Clothes" variety.

She knows that making good movies is all that matters and I applaud the fact that she once again swallowed her pride and admitted that she made a mistake in who she initially hired. I'm sure lots of people are laughing at her for that. But she assumedly knows that if Rian Johnshon makes two awesome films back to back instead of a great TLJ and then crappy ass prequel tribute by Trevorrow then it will all be worth it.

Last edited:

Wasn't Interstellar his 2001, that sucked.

Inception had his Bond snow scene, was just ok at least better than Spectre's lol.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. not sure if you are joking or what SUCKED??????????????:lol

I'm calling it right now after Wonder Woman episode 9 is going to have a female director watch.

I'm still calling Johnson. When he went on stage at Celebration he lifted one leg from the knee down when he hugged one of the other celebs the way chicks do when they're swooning over an embrace. I was all "what???" Lol. So yeah Episode IX directed by Rianna Johnson.

2001 still refrenced today at film schools and preserved in the national archives.

Intersteller who. Junk just like 2010.

Yeah I would never want a Chris Nolan SW flick. I still think that the guy who did Edge of Tomorrow would be a great choice.

Who cares about directors, anyone can direct good films, today it just boils down to editing and cinematography. Any movie who relies heavily on cgi will suck no matter who's directing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell that to DC fans.

DC is a victim of bad editing, Snyder can translate comic book storyboards to movies, Man of Steel does it excellently, for once we see superman fight with speed of sounds speeds, fly without the movie slowing down around him and attempt to get the nitty gritty worlds come to life. Look at how bad the wire work is in age of apocalypse, you see magneto to fly and its so fake with his leg propped up and hands acting like he is super slow, it killed it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Director of Thor 3 was asked if he would like to direct IX and his answer was:

"Lolz. I like to complete my films."

"I would be fired within a week"

Holy crap lolololololololololololol

Kathleen Kennedy just announced as the new host for The Apprentice and every week the contestants will try to direct a SW film, lol.

"Colin go ahead and pick two other directors who will accompany you into the Boardroom."

"Uh, the Lego Bros I guess."

"Very well, Ron, Rian, you're free to go."

Does anyone know what the "excuse" is for Trevorrow's dismissal?

Does he just have dumb ideas? Is that what Disney said? Or he has another project he wishes to pursue at this time.

Does anyone know what the "excuse" is for Trevorrow's dismissal?

Does he just have dumb ideas? Is that what Disney said? Or he has another project he wishes to pursue at this time.

The Variety article said it was due to disagreements over the script he was penning. So yeah, dumb ideas, lol.

Back