Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - May 24, 2019

I Boba Fett movie would be perfect

I'd be fine with a Fett film if it was done Predator style where he was hunting a bunch of other characters. Make the movie about them as he picks them off one by one. Keep him masked and in the shadows. I don't want him to be the "hero" and learn all these new details about him, etc. And no more Jango voice.

A fett movie should just show his corpse being digested for thousands of years.

It'll get delayed and I'm sure hit December again. Wasn't The Last Jedi originally slated for the summer too?

So was TFA. This is just returning to the original plan.

JJ needed more time, starting from scratch. Now they seem to have caught up.

Kennedy is probably thinking of sending Trevorrow the way of Trank right about now:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_book_of_henry

I don't think studios are vetting their filmmakers based on an amalgam of blogger critic opinions.

I haven't seen the movie nor do I think Trevorrow is a great auteur, but RT is just a travesty that continues to plague this art-form and should be ignored by both the people who pay for movies and the people who watch them.

Most directors hate RT and rightfully so.

A fett movie should just show his corpse being digested for thousands of years.

article-2177818-142EC07C000005DC-449_634x351.jpg

I don't think studios are vetting their filmmakers based on an amalgam of blogger critic opinions.

I didn't say studios I said Kathleen Kennedy and she is not one to be trifled with. Since being hired Trevorrow has said that he thinks Episode IX should celebrate all eras of SW, including the prequels. Strike 1. Then he went off and directed a film that featured a male lead. Strike 2. And now his film is getting critically panned. Time for him to start checking job openings at Fox Studios.

Critics are the worst, always. Unless they support your opinion. Everybody auteur know that by now.

I wouldn't mind if Trevorrow was replaced. It might delay the film by a year but I am just not a fan of the two films I have seen of his (JW and Safety was okay but not the amazing film it was made to be). I would feel a lot better if somebody better was chosen. Or let Rian Johnson finish it depending on how TLJ turns out.

They were too quick to hire a director for 9 and while Trevorrow is a man who can handle the studio system (ie; be a good slave) they should've tried a little bit harder lol.

It really should've been a female director anyways.

I could see Jenkins doing a decent job. My first choice for a SW flick would probably be Doug Liman right now. He's proven himself capable with both banter (Swingers) and epic sci-fi (Edge of Tomorrow.)

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/colin-trevorrow-exits-star-wars-episode-ix-1202548088/

Though I think this is a really good move in this case, given the mediocre track record of the guy, it is just more evidence that Star Wars is all a big corporate machine first, and artistic endeavor a distant second. There really can't be much debate about it at this point. I expect these films to just get less and less meaningful and more and more watered down, targeting the lowest common denominator as time goes on. Which says something, considering that I don't think anything past the original films has been very meaningful.

Technically, as usual, you are 101% correct.

But while I fully comprehend that the corporate suit committee machine is creating nostaligia driven derivative products to tug at fans heart strings and wallets I can still allow my inner child to be entertained by Hulk smashing Loki or the rebel fleet arriving over Scariff.

Yes the suits only care about money to sustain their exotic lifestyles but if they're putting a smile on my face then I have no problem supporting their cocaine addictions.

Hot damn will you look at my Trevorrow post from June up above lol.

Hot damn will you look at my Trevorrow post from June up above lol.

And look at my two posts from June 17th after this thread had layed quiet for two months. Kennedy should put me on the payroll. :yess:

I still reject the claim that TFA and RO are "nostalgia" driven movies. If SW films hadn't ended after Jedi and had continued to be released every three years then TFA and RO would have been just as huge had they been released in 1986 and 1989. Sure we could have never had those movies as they are with the actors' ages and modern day visuals (duh) but they would have been seen as just good ol' Star Wars.

Are there elements of nostalgia in TFA and RO? Definitely. Han's trash compactor reference and the cheesy Walrusman cameo obviously qualify. But one side attacking the other side's "base" was a well that was already being returned to in *1980.* And some critics even called ESB out on that very fact. Grand battle that destroys a base. Check. Lightsaber duel. Check. Four TIE Fighters chasing the Falcon. Check. ESB repackaged a *lot* of what we had already seen in SW. And then ROTJ was somehow even MORE derivative, lol.

Then we got the prequel trilogy where the whole damn thing was supposed to "rhyme" with the OT and we have the Tatooine hero blowing up the big space station in the first one, losing a limb in the second, and all the other countless similarities.

So you can't really fault TFA/RO for having familiar elements as if it's this shocking or lazy or "safe" new thing because it's literally what every Star Wars sequel has done since The Empire Strikes Back. The trick I think is giving us SW films that ARE more like ESB where they don't hit you over the head with the repeated themes the way say ROTJ did. I'll concede that TFA falls into the latter category but RO absolutely was not. On first blush TLJ looks like it might be another blatant retread (with more Dagobah-style training and an epic AT-AT battle) but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a bit of a ruse and that the finished film will end up going REALLY sideways. We'll see.

So happy to hear Treverrow is out! :banana I hated him being involved since day one!

Not to get too involved in the nostalgia/suits debate, I will say that putting out an effective "product" still takes enormous skill and talent. So I'm not going to begrudge Disney or Kennedy for going about making movies in a more considered and deliberate way, as opposed to indulging an "auteur" to do whatever they want. I love TFA and like RO, and I like Rian and what I see of Last Jedi so they have earned my trust. Hopefully they'll find a worthy replacement for IX.

And look at my two posts from June 17th after this thread had layed quiet for two months. Kennedy should put me on the payroll. :yess:

I still reject the claim that TFA and RO are "nostalgia" driven movies. If SW films hadn't ended after Jedi and had continued to be released every three years then TFA and RO would have been just as huge had they been released in 1986 and 1989. Sure we could have never had those movies as they are with the actors' ages and modern day visuals (duh) but they would have been seen as just good ol' Star Wars.

Are there elements of nostalgia in TFA and RO? Definitely. Han's trash compactor reference and the cheesy Walrusman cameo obviously qualify. But one side attacking the other side's "base" was a well that was already being returned to in *1980.* And some critics even called ESB out on that very fact. Grand battle that destroys a base. Check. Lightsaber duel. Check. Four TIE Fighters chasing the Falcon. Check. ESB repackaged a *lot* of what we had already seen in SW. And then ROTJ was somehow even MORE derivative, lol.

Then we got the prequel trilogy where the whole damn thing was supposed to "rhyme" with the OT and we have the Tatooine hero blowing up the big space station in the first one, losing a limb in the second, and all the other countless similarities.

So you can't really fault TFA/RO for having familiar elements as if it's this shocking or lazy or "safe" new thing because it's literally what every Star Wars sequel has done since The Empire Strikes Back. The trick I think is giving us SW films that ARE more like ESB where they don't hit you over the head with the repeated themes the way say ROTJ did. I'll concede that TFA falls into the latter category but RO absolutely was not. On first blush TLJ looks like it might be another blatant retread (with more Dagobah-style training and an epic AT-AT battle) but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a bit of a ruse and that the finished film will end up going REALLY sideways. We'll see.

Take that karasnikt!

So happy to hear Treverrow is out! :banana I hated him being involved since day one!

Not to get too involved in the nostalgia/suits debate, I will say that putting out an effective "product" still takes enormous skill and talent. So I'm not going to begrudge Disney or Kennedy for going about making movies in a more considered and deliberate way, as opposed to indulging an "auteur" to do whatever they want. I love TFA and like RO, and I like Rian and what I see of Last Jedi so they have earned my trust. Hopefully they'll find a worthy replacement for IX.

*Note to self, Khev and jye need to hang out more with Mad Old Lu lol

But why did they boot Colin?

Has there been a Disney SW film yet (other than TFA) where the initial director ended up being the final and only director?

Kathleen either likes to fire people, or she makes bad first decisions. I lean to the latter.

She hasn’t fired Rian yet! So that’s 2, two movies! So there! :pfft:

But seriously, I have to give her kudos for having the brass to fire or replace or intervene or what have you, for the sake of the quality of the movie. We’ve all seen some real stinkers in the theater that we wonder who the hell approved any of it. If she sees it’s not working out, she’ll do what it takes to fix it. Optics be damned.

Back