Star Wars Celebration VI

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at one of the fan club breakfasts at CIV and Mary Franklin said she was hoping to do alternating coasts from then on out, since IV was LA and V was Orlando, I'm guessing CVI is back on the west coast. I was at the CI through CIV but didn't make it to CV. My choice last year was SDCC or CV, there was no way I could do both with them being a few weeks a part and on opposite sides of the country. After attending five SDCCs and four Celebrations I'm afraid SDCC wins out every time.

After attending five SDCCs and four Celebrations I'm afraid SDCC wins out every time.

I've only been to one Celebration and this year will be my first SDCC. I'm 110% Star Wars (the extra 10% is in my pants), so I have a feeling Celebration will win out for me.

CV had great panels and shopping. Getting around was a breeze. I'm already fearing the crowds at SDCC, but at least I'll be hanging with Freaks. :hi5:

Just wait until you experience the madness of SDCC. There's almost no comparing the two. It's like Christmas and my birthday, same month, but there's no way I'm not celebrating both!

Waller is so dirty. :lol

Just wait until you experience the madness of SDCC. There's almost no comparing the two. It's like Christmas and my birthday, same month, but there's no way I'm not celebrating both!

Waller is so dirty. :lol

Yeah, anytime I try to explain to folks who have only been to Celebration how much bigger, better, and different Comic-Con is to that event they never believe me till they go to Comic-Con. Afterwards they understand why everything I say about the event is the truth.

I'm going to throw an observation on the table. And keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never been to either a Comic Con or Star Wars Celebration so PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG but, from what I've observed through TV coverage the last couple of years it seems like Comic Con is losing its identity. And by that i mean its becoming so big the original reason for the convention has been deluded and now accounts for but a small part of what Comic Con actually is.

It would appear over the years they have broadened their subject matter to appeal to a wider range of "customers" and now its more of a Pop Culture Con instead of a Comic Con. The boners in Hollywood have taken over and made it all about marketing crappy movies and TV shows, and less about comics and collectibles.

For instance the reason its now become next to impossible to get tickets is because every Harry Potter/Twilight fan out there, who could give two _____s about comics or collectibles want to go watch panels all day. Which i guess is cool if your into that kind of thing, but if your like me and are more interested in meeting comic book artists and sculptors, then it would suck to not have that opportunity because they sold every ticket in less than 12 hours.

Now don't get me wrong. I was fortunate enough to get tickets this year, and I'm super pumped about going... like really really pumped. but only for the reasons listed above. It just crazy how it turned from being a haven for nerds to the coolest place in the world. Maybe we can expect a special appearance from P. Diddy next year to usher in the Hip Hop scene.

That would be the only reason i could see someone favoring Celebration over Comic Con, If you only loved Star Wars and could care less about the rest. Again I'm ready for Comic Con, but would love to go to Celebration one of these days too.

Sorry about the tangent. :panic:

I'm going to throw an observation on the table. And keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never been to either a Comic Con or Star Wars Celebration so PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG but, from what I've observed through TV coverage the last couple of years it seems like Comic Con is losing its identity. And by that i mean its becoming so big the original reason for the convention has been deluded and now accounts for but a small part of what Comic Con actually is.

Well, I've never been to a Celebration but to 6 comic-cons now with 7 this year. So take this for what its worth. It is more a entertainment type convention now but there are plenty of comic stuff there as well.

It would appear over the years they have broadened their subject matter to appeal to a wider range of "customers" and now its more of a Pop Culture Con instead of a Comic Con. The boners in Hollywood have taken over and made it all about marketing crappy movies and TV shows, and less about comics and collectibles.

For instance the reason its now become next to impossible to get tickets is because every Harry Potter/Twilight fan out there, who could give two _____s about comics or collectibles want to go watch panels all day. Which i guess is cool if your into that kind of thing, but if your like me and are more interested in meeting comic book artists and sculptors, then it would suck to not have that opportunity because they sold every ticket in less than 12 hours.

As I said its more of an entertainment convention comics as a part of it. Which honestly is fine by me. As far as marketing crappy movies and tv shows thats one persons opinion and I know a few get there but I've been to many panels for movies comic realted or not for movies I really enjoy. I'm glad they come and I get to hear from these actors and such that I and others want to see or hear from.

As far as getting tickets this was the first year it was a pain and it is more on the people running it than the type of people going. Most people there take plenty of time to look at the collectibles trust me getting around some of them is a real pain. :lol

Now don't get me wrong. I was fortunate enough to get tickets this year, and I'm super pumped about going... like really really pumped. but only for the reasons listed above. It just crazy how it turned from being a haven for nerds to the coolest place in the world. Maybe we can expect a special appearance from P. Diddy next year to usher in the Hip Hop scene.

It still is a haven for nerds as you put it but its also the coolest place in the world. It allows all of us who enjoy all these kinds of things to be all in one place. I still find a way to talk to plenty of artist and sculptors all while still enjoying stuff like LOTR, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, King Kong, Lost, True Blood, Iron Man, 300, etc that have or will be there.

If you truly just want comic book conventions there are plenty of those that have just that. However, most are shifting towards more entertainment type events.

That would be the only reason i could see someone favoring Celebration over Comic Con, If you only loved Star Wars and could care less about the rest. Again I'm ready for Comic Con, but would love to go to Celebration one of these days too.

Sorry about the tangent. :panic:

Yeah, if you really only liked Star Wars celebration might be better but most of us are not just singular in what we like.

I do tend to get scattered with the range of options of fandom and collecting going on at SDCC. That's really how I got into Sideshow to begin with. Damn Gentle Giant getting me totally pissed off with their terrible customer service, etc. So I went over to check out that Alien diorama I had seen the day before, put in an order with Inthia, and bam...

Been an SS devotee ever since.

But this year, even though I only have two days, I've decided to focus on picking up some way back back issues of FF. Finally decided to ditch the whole 10,000 issue collection and focus on just a few titles for collecting purposes. My Grendel collection is 100% complete. Lets see how long it takes to create a complete FF.

:lol

Yep, I'll still take both conventions, although this may be the last year I attend SDCC in any way. It's just become such a hassle. I can remember the first year I decided to go about two weeks out. Just bought tickets and showed up, no problems. How things have changed.

Looking forward to CVI wherever it is in probably 2013 too. :D

Celebration belongs in CA. Any place else is nothing more than a slap in the face to all Star Wars fans everywhere.

I've only been to one Celebration and this year will be my first SDCC. I'm 110% Star Wars (the extra 10% is in my pants), so I have a feeling Celebration will win out for me.

CV had great panels and shopping. Getting around was a breeze. I'm already fearing the crowds at SDCC, but at least I'll be hanging with Freaks. :hi5:

See there is a core difference for me. At any Celebration, there is a common bond that runs through all attendees. The "WARS". And what this does is bring more of a family feel to the entire event that in my eyes cannot be duplicated by any Comic Con as they are all so diluted by the hype and plethora of industries, media, etc. A celebration is all about a love of Star Wars. If you are not into it, you would not attend. That can be felt by all who attend. The common bond.

Celebration belongs in CA. Any place else is nothing more than a slap in the face to all Star Wars fans everywhere.

:mad:

Why is that ?

Celebration IV was in L.A. and was the least successful and least profitable of them all so far.

:lecture

Celebration. Woo!!!! If it is in 2013 we'll have Attack of the Clones in 3D to look forwards to. :yess::yess::rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:lol

Back