Star Trek The Next Generation Retro TV Review series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember an episode where Picard gets zapped and wakes up in some city with amnesia and ends up living there for the rest of his life, only to wake up a few seconds after he was initially zapped. What a serious mind ****. Not sure what season that was, but I consider it one of the best TV show episodes I've watched.

I like how their history portrays Cochran as this great man that devoted his creation to humanity, only to find out this great man was doing it all for the nookie.
The Inner Light. Fantastic episode. Picard lives an entire lifetime in 30 min only for it to be a way for an extict race to share their culture. That flute melody gets me every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I remember an episode where Picard gets zapped and wakes up in some city with amnesia and ends up living there for the rest of his life, only to wake up a few seconds after he was initially zapped. What a serious mind ****. Not sure what season that was, but I consider it one of the best TV show episodes I've watched.
S5 E25

My fav TNG episode for sure.

I never understood why first seasons get so much negativity.

FC is as far from brilliant as it could get. :lol

They simply weren't as good but I still love them.

And FC was the first time we see the enterprise E, worf comes back, amazing action with the Borg and not to mention the moby d1ck parallels. It's also light years ahead of the other TNG films in terms of quality although generations was okay too

I think you're talking about the very last episode which was a two parter, fantastic ending to the show!

Edit: my mistake thought you were on about all good things with old Picard :lol

The crew find a world run by Women in Angel One.
https://latetothegame.blog/2018/01/29/retro-trek-review-star-trek-tng-ssn-1-episode-13-angel-one/
bdee51c098370ce2973dd5522ec3290a.jpg

As a kid, I loved TNG. It was by far my favorite TV show. I remember when they announced they were ending the show, I got so pissed that I drew a picture of the Enterprise, hung it on the back of my bedroom wall, and threw everything I could get my hands on at it. Not sure what I thought that would accomplish, but hey, I was 9.

As an adult, and having rewatched all the episodes numerous times, especially when the HD Blu-Rays came out a few years back, I'm not as in love as I once was. The characters, overall, are pretty generic and bland, with the exception of Worf and Data (and yes, I know the Roddenberry rule on interpersonal conflict, but that doesn't mean their personalities have to be non-existent). The Enterprise design just doesn't feel right to me...I know it was late 80's design, but compared to any of the other ships - especially bridges - we've seen, it just doesn't feel very functional. Wesley became interesting toward the end, but at the beginning, he was just an annoyance.

That's not to say I don't enjoy it, I do. Guinan, Q, and the Borg are always great. Barclay was fun from time to time. And of course there were some FANTASTIC episodes, right up there with the best any TV show has to offer. But on a scale of favorite Trek series, it's just not at the top of the list anymore, I'm afraid.

Rewatchin' TNG made me apreatiate it even more.
I used to don't care for La Forge but now I really like him.
On the other side Worf's character and story became boring and tiresome. If most of his episodes weren't part of a bigger picture with lots of other GOOD characters played by good actors I wouldn't really care for him.
I still absolutely don't ****in' care for Beverly Crusher. Boring ass character, charmless actress.
But I actually really love Wesley and wish he was part of the regular crew after his return 'till the very end.

My feelings on these characters shift a bit over time as well. Geordi is an interesting case. It seems like most of the time he's just in the episodes to support other characters, or to be somebody who gets abused in some way. But he does have a charm to him. And it's interesting that he's the one character Data considers a real friend. Worf I really like sometimes, but sometimes they give him mannerisms that just don't make any sense for a Klingon. And that's a bit distracting, so that he doesn't feel as fully fleshed-out as he could. I really like that we got to see more of him in Deep Space Nine After Next Generation. They tried to write Beverly out of the show early on, suggesting the writers also had trouble with her. But she ended up coming back and being more appealing than her replacement I guess. She has a bit of a milquetoast personality, but I actually like that in the caretaker of the ship. She is warm and compassionate, but not particularly interesting most of the time. Of course, bones is a much better dr., but you're never going to capture that lightning in a bottle again. I've also been watching more of the Show recently, and do love it, though not every episode is great.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

With TOS we had Bones.
With DS9 we had Bashir.
With VOY we had The Doctor.

They're all very unique, charismatic, memorable and had their own cool stories and character moments.
Beverly is just there. The only interesting thing her character had was shared background with Picard.

With TOS we had Bones.
With DS9 we had Bashir.
With VOY we had The Doctor.

They're all very unique, charismatic, memorable and had their own cool stories and character moments.
Beverly is just there. The only interesting thing her character had was shared background with Picard.
I will have to agree. While she is an excellent Doctor on her own right, her stand alone episodes were forced at best. Still, she was far better than Katherine Pulaski.

Which is incredibly frustrating because Diana Muldaur is awesome and could be TNG's Bones but they gave her crappy character to play. :(
Yeah. Her perpetual hostility toward Data really rubbed me the wrong way. I get they were trying for a Bones and Spock thing but she just came off as mean and a little bigoted toward Androids. Near the end of the season she started to warm up to him but it was far too little too late.

Also I understand that Patrick Stewart was a bit of a **** on set during the first 2 seasons as he really didn't want to be there. Once he lightened up the cast seemed to really become the ensemble they were meant to be. We see the level of comfort starting in season 3 that just wasnt there previously. So it wouldn't surprise me that Muldaur felt a little out of place with a cast that had been together a year and a lead actor who was a little dickish.

Stewart wasn't a **** tho. He came from professional dramatic background.
It was very hard for him to work in such chaotic, non-professional environment.

What's funny is that DS9's set was TOO professional.
It was hard for newcomers to work on that series because every line had to be approved and every act had to be perfect.

What's funny is that DS9's set was TOO professional.
It was hard for newcomers to work on that series because every line had to be approved and every act had to be perfect.

Now that's interesting, I've never heard that before. I knew Stewart struggled to 'fit in' on TNG at first and to adapt to the American TV set rather than the British stage. But I've never heard this about DS9. What were the driving forces behind that? I never got the impression that the original showrunner, Michael Piller, or the later one, Ira Behr, was that type of person. Maybe it had to do with Avery Brooks? Man, every interview I've seen with the guy makes me wonder if he drops acid.

Back