Star Trek Prodigy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like a lot of things, it just has to grab you. If it doesn't after one, two, five episodes, might as well skip it. With shows that went on for 7 seasons the such the backlog is too much as well. I've given up trying to get into new (for me) long-running IPs. There's really no point to it.
Person of Interest. Jonathan Nolan is the creator. That is all.

I've always found Star Trek super boring, The Orville doesn't take itself too seriously and that makes it way more fun imo.
I have young kids and when you do, you learn pretty quickly that “boring” is just code for “Daddy, I’m too young to understand this…can you just put on cartoons instead?” :)

Like a lot of things, it just has to grab you. If it doesn't after one, two, five episodes, might as well skip it. With shows that went on for 7 seasons the such the backlog is too much as well. I've given up trying to get into new (for me) long-running IPs. There's really no point to it.
In most cases, I would agree with you.

However, Star Trek: TNG is, in my opinion, a top 10 all-time television show. You do have to give it time to get there, but once you do, I think it's more than worth the wait.

I rewatched the whole shebang over the pandemic, and it was so great revisiting old favorites, and being reminded of things I had forgotten. I'm currently re-watching DS9, which is arguably as good as TNG. I love the in-depth exploration of the political and religious conflicts between the Cardassians, Bajorans, Founders, etc., and the way that you see so many strange bed-fellows, like Sisko rescuing Gul Dukat or the federation allied with the Romulans to work out the cloaking of the Defiant.

I have young kids and when you do, you learn pretty quickly that “boring” is just code for “Daddy, I’m too young to understand this…can you just put on cartoons instead?” :)
I have no nostalgia for Star Trek, I didn't grow up watching it and I've just never had any real interest in it at any point in my life. I generally don't consume decades old movies/shows unless I was subjected to it growing up and have some kind of nostalgia or attachment to it. Same goes for games.

In most cases, I would agree with you.

However, Star Trek: TNG is, in my opinion, a top 10 all-time television show. You do have to give it time to get there, but once you do, I think it's more than worth the wait.

I rewatched the whole shebang over the pandemic, and it was so great revisiting old favorites, and being reminded of things I had forgotten. I'm currently re-watching DS9, which is arguably as good as TNG. I love the in-depth exploration of the political and religious conflicts between the Cardassians, Bajorans, Founders, etc., and the way that you see so many strange bed-fellows, like Sisko rescuing Gul Dukat or the federation allied with the Romulans to work out the cloaking of the Defiant.
I've poured a lot of hours into "Top 10s" over the years. Not genre fiction, in general. Now, I just don't care. At least not enough to go through ~150 hours of Trek. Like I said, I like the concept of "spaceship going exploring" appeals to me, but a bunch of smug mouthpieces going about their daily lives in the American 60s Space Age Futurism just isn't to my liking. I couldn't take anymore "nations/cultures/religions/politics are fokin stoopid n barbaric and not worth fighting for and you should be heckin embarassed" speeches by Q & Picard. I get the "message", I just find this type of thinking appalling. Maybe it gets better. I don't know. I don't care to know. I watched clips/skipped to episodes with supposed highlights and... eh. I don't get the appeal. I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade, preferences and all. I'm just saying, I'm firmly in the TOS camp and that's where I'll stay.

Go watch The Turin Horse and tell me that it's not boring. Sometimes things are boring. It's alright to admit it, not every arthouse or highbrow production hits its mark. A one-location film like Sleuth, Carnage or Locke can be highly engrossing, but making a one-man film doesn't elevate it over a conventional thriller just because of its concept; execution matters. And while I dislike Tarr, his work is of higher artistry compared to Trek, which is genre fiction. It's just that all of you watched it as teens/kids and it introduced you to watered down political/philosophical concepts that were warped to fit the silly plot of the week, and thus you remember it fondly because it made you feel mature. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's more wordy than something like Star Wars, but let's not kid ourselves that it's still not a kid's show.

I think TNG and DS9 only hit its stride when Riker and Sisko grew their beards darthkostis. That would be S3 for TNG and late S3 for DS9. I was like you in finding it difficult to get into both series too.

You can skip a fair amount of episodes in TNG since it's not serialized. DS9 only starts becoming serialized late in its run.

I think TNG and DS9 only hit its stride when Riker and Sisko grew their beards darthkostis. That would be S3 for TNG and late S3 for DS9. I was like you in finding it difficult to get into both series too.

You can skip a fair amount of episodes in TNG since it's not serialized. DS9 only starts becoming serialized late in its run.
I've heard about the "Beard Filter". I appreciate the effort, but I'm just not at a place in my life where I'm willing to drop 100+ hours in genre fiction set in a universe I don't feel a pull to. A decade ago I'd have given it a shot, now I can't. DS9 being the "grittier" show appealed to me more, but I can't get over the 90s cheese of all those productions, and I don't find the subject matter intresting enough to drop all those hours into it. I stuck with TOS because I genuinely liked the chemistry between the leads. It's the reason why I found the movies comfy as well. Even the bad ones I enjoyed because of the chemistry the cast had.

I honestly think TV is garbage right now. All quantity over quality. Nothing really badass as of late besides Mando. Had Netflix Defenders before that, but even half of Defenders shows were meh except for DD. Just ready for Witcher S2, Book of Boba and Moon Knight. Streaming is my demographic right now, network is trash.

I honestly think TV is garbage right now. All quantity over quality. Nothing really badass as of late besides Mando. Had Netflix Defenders before that, but even half of Defenders shows were meh except for DD. Just ready for Witcher S2, Book of Boba and Moon Knight. Streaming is my demographic right now, network is trash.
There are some good shows still. Succession is airing its third season. Barry's coming back next year. And... that's all I've got, really. There's supposed to be another Pope season after Young/New but I don't know when. I liked Patriot & Perpetual Grace but they were cancelled too early. I do definitely watch less shows than other years (I'm only following Succession, am currently going through "The Night Of" and wondering if I should give Wokemen another chance), so yeah, I'd say the "Golden Age" of tv is over now. No more Leftovers and the such. But I love Succession and that's enough for me.

boar-succession.gif

I've poured a lot of hours into "Top 10s" over the years. Not genre fiction, in general. Now, I just don't care. At least not enough to go through ~150 hours of Trek. Like I said, I like the concept of "spaceship going exploring" appeals to me, but a bunch of smug mouthpieces going about their daily lives in the American 60s Space Age Futurism just isn't to my liking. I couldn't take anymore "nations/cultures/religions/politics are fokin stoopid n barbaric and not worth fighting for and you should be heckin embarassed" speeches by Q & Picard. I get the "message", I just find this type of thinking appalling. Maybe it gets better. I don't know. I don't care to know. I watched clips/skipped to episodes with supposed highlights and... eh. I don't get the appeal. I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade, preferences and all. I'm just saying, I'm firmly in the TOS camp and that's where I'll stay.

Go watch The Turin Horse and tell me that it's not boring. Sometimes things are boring. It's alright to admit it, not every arthouse or highbrow production hits its mark. A one-location film like Sleuth, Carnage or Locke can be highly engrossing, but making a one-man film doesn't elevate it over a conventional thriller just because of its concept; execution matters. And while I dislike Tarr, his work is of higher artistry compared to Trek, which is genre fiction. It's just that all of you watched it as teens/kids and it introduced you to watered down political/philosophical concepts that were warped to fit the silly plot of the week, and thus you remember it fondly because it made you feel mature. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's more wordy than something like Star Wars, but let's not kid ourselves that it's still not a kid's show.
Yeah… no…you’re more than welcome to tell me why you DON’T like Trek, and I really can’t argue with you about what you like or dislike, only you know…by the same token, you sure as heck can’t tell me why I DO like it…and that gobbledegook about watered down concepts ain’t it.
When I was young I liked it for the ships and aliens, when I got older I liked it for the truly excellent writing.
By your own admission, you haven’t seen it so you wouldn’t know either way…just like I’ve never seen shows like “Friends” or “Seinfeld” nor do I care to, so if there was a thread here about them I would keep scrolling instead of wandering in and spewing uninformed opinions. But that’s just me. :)

Yeah… no…you’re more than welcome to tell me why you DON’T like Trek, and I really can’t argue with you about what you like or dislike, only you know…by the same token, you sure as heck can’t tell me why I DO like it…and that gobbledegook about watered down concepts ain’t it.
When I was young I liked it for the ships and aliens, when I got older I liked it for the truly excellent writing.
By your own admission, you haven’t seen it so you wouldn’t know either way…just like I’ve never seen shows like “Friends” or “Seinfeld” nor do I care to, so if there was a thread here about them I would keep scrolling instead of wandering in and spewing uninformed opinions. But that’s just me. :)
200.gif

But I have watched it. Around 20 hours of it. TNG that is. I reckon that is enough time to form an opinion about a certain product. I've consumed more than 100 hours of Trek. I think that's enough for me to make a random comment on the property. And I've explained my problems with it already. You can't really act offended by an assumption/generalisation considering you're the one who claimed the intellectual high ground, by equating anyone who finds Trek boring, and I quote, to
“Daddy, I’m too young to understand this…can you just put on cartoons instead?” :)
Now, to me, that seems rude in and of itself. You basically called him a child who cannot understand "complexity" simply because he found your favourite Space Opera boring. Quite an assumption, don't you think? But here you are, posturing and raging. Tsk, tsk. For shame. I wonder, if you think Trek has "excellent writting", what you think ranks next to it...

Last edited:
I'd add The Expanse to that list. However, like Star Trek, the start of The Expanse is a slog to go through but mostly because it needed to use a large chunk of season 1 to set the pieces for the rest of the series to be built upon. IMO it's the best space show to come in a long time (the last being BSG's first half).

200.gif

But I have watched it. Around 20 hours of it. TNG that is. I reckon that is enough time to form an opinion about a certain product. I've consumed more than 100 hours of Trek. I think that's enough for me to make a random comment on the property. And I've explained my problems with it already. You can't really act offended by an assumption/generalisation considering you're the one who claimed the intellectual high ground, by equating anyone who finds Trek boring, and I quote, to

Now, to me, that seems rude in and of itself. You basically called him a child who cannot understand "complexity" simply because he found your favourite Space Opera boring. Quite an assumption, don't you think? But here you are, posturing and raging. Tsk, tsk. For shame. I wonder, if you think Trek has "excellent writting", what you think ranks next to it...
I guess the issue with typing versus speaking is the reader tends to project all kinds of things into whatever they are reading that may or may not have ANYTHING whatsoever to do with the writer’s actual intent.
Not sure where you see “raging?” I’m simply opining…any “rage” must have been your own, perhaps felt while you were reading it, which is perfectly understandable.
You’ve watched 100 hours of a thing that totals approximately 626 hours…if you think that having absorbed only 16% of something makes you qualified to form an opinion of it, we have bigger problems here.
How about I write an opinion piece on War & Peace based upon my in-depth reading of only the first 196 of 1,225 pages…see how stupid that sounds?
I’m not offended, and I’m not claiming the high ground or the low ground…just the ground.
I said what I said about folks who find Star Trek to be boring and I stand by it.
Rude? Maybe…honest…definitely…it’s a shame that some folks are so easily offended and get their fee fees hurt so quickly by some marginally blunt and honest feedback.
To his credit, he took no offense. He simply reiterated his position and confidently brushed off the comment. Good for him.
So I may not agree with him on Star Trek, but definitely respect his strength of character.
You, on the other hand, got more hurt and offended on his behalf than he actually did being on the receiving end of my comment.
No posturing, no raving, just one man’s opinion and I hate to disappoint you, but nothing that you post after reading this is going to change it. :)

How did this thread devolve into a 'why I like/dis-like TNG conversation? This is a Trek cartoon show . Surely there is a thread to discuss TOS/TNG elsewhere.

Prodigy seems to set way less lofty standards then other Trek shows. I will give it a few more episodes. I like the animation but the show itself seems not very compelling.

I will admit that I am a fan overall of most things Trek. I tend to appreciate and hold the 'Trek-verse' in slightly higher regard than Star Wars franchise. Just one mans opinion...cheers

How did this thread devolve into a 'why I like/dis-like TNG conversation? This is a Trek cartoon show . Surely there is a thread to discuss TOS/TNG elsewhere.

Prodigy seems to set way less lofty standards then other Trek shows. I will give it a few more episodes. I like the animation but the show itself seems not very compelling.

I will admit that I am a fan overall of most things Trek. I tend to appreciate and hold the 'Trek-verse' in slightly higher regard than Star Wars franchise. Just one mans opinion...cheers
Every thread on this forum eventually derails into something else, thought you’d be used to that after 12 years :lol

I guess the issue with typing versus speaking is the reader tends to project all kinds of things into whatever they are reading that may or may not have ANYTHING whatsoever to do with the writer’s actual intent.
Not sure where you see “raging?” I’m simply opining…any “rage” must have been your own, perhaps felt while you were reading it, which is perfectly understandable.
What even is this response? Trying to retract from your passive aggrassive stance by pretending that, what, you were posting in jolly-good spirits but somehow this dastardly villain inferred it as "rage"? I am terribly sorry, but when I read something like
…by the same token, you sure as heck can’t tell me why I DO like it…and that gobbledegook about watered down concepts ain’t it.
[...]
so if there was a thread here about them I would keep scrolling instead of wandering in and spewing uninformed opinions. But that’s just me. :)
then I infer that you've gotten irritated that your favourite Genre Soap has been mocked, which is why you resort to such defenses. You are somehow able to insult people, and yet you cannot take any sort of criticism.

You’ve watched 100 hours of a thing that totals approximately 626 hours…if you think that having absorbed only 16% of something makes you qualified to form an opinion of it, we have bigger problems here.
Oh, so now it's not enough to have watched TNG itself to comment on TNG. In order for one to judge TNG, he'd have to watch DS9 and all the other spin-offs. I see. Oh, how foolish of me, to decide on whether I'll waste 500 more hours based on 100 hours of interaction. Truly, I am quite a vile delinquent. My mind is not prepared for wisdom such as Trek's...

How about I write an opinion piece on War & Peace based upon my in-depth reading of only the first 196 of 1,225 pages…see how stupid that sounds?
If you can't see the difference between War & Peace, and a pulpy serial created by a hippie coomer who died from an overdose, then this discussion is even more debased than I thought.

I’m not offended, and I’m not claiming the high ground or the low ground…just the ground.
I said what I said about folks who find Star Trek to be boring and I stand by it.
Rude? Maybe…honest…definitely…it’s a shame that some folks are so easily offended and get their fee fees hurt so quickly by some marginally blunt and honest feedback.
So, by your admission, you made a rude assement and yet, you're offended over... some generalisation? In the same vein that you made? One that you're not even proving false? "Honest"? What does that even mean? Your generalisations are "honest" and the rest are "gobbledegook"? You're not consistent in your arguments even on a basic level. Christ man, this is just sad.

To his credit, he took no offense. He simply reiterated his position and confidently brushed off the comment. Good for him.
So I may not agree with him on Star Trek, but definitely respect his strength of character.
No, I think you're just looking for a lifeboat, so to speak. You're cornered, and thus you're deflecting by pretending that not engaging with you, and ridiculing your antics as I am doing, puts one on a higher ground. In truth, he made the correct choice, for he dismissed your ramblings whereas I gave you a chance. Alas, you're proving to be exactly the ill-tempered, poorly behaved, badly argued type your postings betrays you as.

You, on the other hand, got more hurt and offended on his behalf than he actually did being on the receiving end of my comment.
This is a forum. People talk. If I see something I want to reply to, I will. It's just asanine to me that anyone would try and claim that a Serial Soap...IN SPACE is thematically complicated enough to trouble anyone. And yet, you are exactly what I imagined you to be. It's quite astounding really...

No posturing, no raving, just one man’s opinion and I hate to disappoint you, but nothing that you post after reading this is going to change it. :)
Mate, you're a grown man, with, as you said, young kids, on a dolly forum, in a thread about a cartoon, getting your knickers twisted over the Space Soap you watched as a toddler being called subpar. You're posting like you're having a stroke, or you skipped every grade after the fifth, you're passive aggressive, you deflect every counterpoint with flimsy excuses, and you're ending all of your posts with a smiley face. You're terribly insecure, for you're not even truthful hiding behind a codename, conversing over pop culture. Nothing about your arguments or stance is genuine, merely a facade of indifference hiding your crippling lack of any sort of point or honesty. To be disappointed, I'd first have to care...

I won't respond to anything else. You're too sad to be worth my time. If any mods wish to delete this "argument" for clean-up reasons, it's understandable.

If 100 hours of something doesn’t hook you on it then I think you’re more than able to claim that you don’t like it. If someone says “oh you only need to watch 200 hours then it gets really good”… yeah no thank you.

Just all remember to debate the arguments surrounding the subject, rather than the people themselves making the arguments.

These things are all art, and as such they're subjective. Sometimes it's deeply personal the way they affect an individual's experience, or not even affect them at all.

Accept that not everyone will share your own opinion, even though you may not agree with their reasons why.

Sometimes we say or write things that in retrospect didn't come out right, or were done in a moment without thinking of the potential consequences. I often spend an age writing a post on here, editing and re-writing because I want to say something, but I know how easily it could be misconstrued. Even after all that, things can backfire. :lol

I'm not even sure how much of TNG season 1 and 2 I've seen. I would always skip right to season 3, same with DS9. The Riker/Sisko beards comment was funny because it's true. Add the bald head for Sisko.

Back