Star Trek (2009) DVD/Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
If this is true then this release is amazingly jam packed.

The Star Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Is Fat-Packed with Joy
Posted at 3:05 PM Jun 25, 2009

Now consider this a rumor, because Paramount hasn't announced anything officially yet. But the Blu-ray Blog and others got ahold of an early press release of the DVD and Blu-ray versions of the new Star Trek mobvie, and goddamn is it full of awesomess (or "win," as the kids like to say). Check it.
• Audio commentary (JJ Abrams, Bryan Burke, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci)
• Featurettes:
◦ Where no man has gone before:
▪ The Shatner conundrum
▪ The redshirt guy,
▪ The green girl
▪ Trekker alert!
◦ Casting
◦ A new vision ("Savage Pressure")
◦ Starships:
▪ Warp explained
▪ Painting work
▪ Accelerated bridge construction
▪ The captain's chair
▪ Operating the buttons
▪ Shuttle shuffle
▪ Accelerated Narada construction
◦ Aliens:
▪ The alien paradox
▪ The girl with the big eyes
▪ Big pro Quinto
▪ Klingons
▪ Drakoulias anatomy 101
◦ Planets:
▪ Additional businesses
▪ Confidentiality
◦ Equipment and costumes: Klingon costumes
◦ Sound
◦ Music
◦ Gene Roddenberry's vision
• Deleted scenes:

◦ Spock's birth
◦ Klingons capture Narada
◦ Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
◦ Amanda and Sarek argue after Spock's fight
◦ Interrogation and escape from prison
◦ Sarek and Amanda
◦ Bedroom and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
◦ Kirk apologizes to the green girl
◦ Sarek sees Spock Prime
• Starfleet vessel simulator (probably BD only)
• Star Trek gag reel
• Trailers:

◦ Teaser trailer
◦ Theatrical trailer "The wait is over"
◦ Theatrical trailer "Prepare for the beginning"
◦ Theatrical trailer "Buckle up"
• Star Trek: D-A-C demo (trailer) for XBOX 360
• BD Live options
That's a hell of a lot, and for the first time in a long time, I'm genuinely excited about watching some deleted scenes from a movie, if only to Greg Grunberg as Uncle Frank belittle young Kirk and possibly throw corn at him (actually, I'd much rather see Diora Baird as the other Orion non-Slave Girl, but let's move on). Right now, the Trek home edition is set for October 8th, but write that in your calendars in pencil not ink.

I've stated it elsewhere and will repeat it here..

Trek 2009 will be my first blu-ray purchase.
I'm definitely picking this one up. Especially if it has all those extras.

Wow, I can't wait to get hold this Blu-ray. Star Trek is the best blockbuster by a mile in 2009. I can't see anything coming close in the remaining months, maybe Avatar

I'm interested in seeing the Klingon footage. The subplot of Nero being captured by the Klingons (I'm assuming after George used the Kelvin to disable the Narada) and his 20 year imprisonment was something that could've made the movie more complete.

I'm also curious as to how Nero knew Kirk's dad was killed on the Kelvin (he mentions this during their fight). Nero wasn't specifically targeting that ship. It just happened to be there when the Narada arrived in the past.

Hopefully, the deleted scenes and/or commentary will answer that.

As for the Blu-Ray features, that list is EXACTLY what a movie of this caliber demands!! It reminds me of the early days of DVD when a "Special Edition" was a special edition!!

I'm also curious as to how Nero knew Kirk's dad was killed on the Kelvin (he mentions this during their fight). Nero wasn't specifically targeting that ship. It just happened to be there when the Narada arrived in the past.

In the 4 issue comic mini: Countdown, (issue 2, I believe), Nero was looking into the back history of Starfleet and he came across info on Kirk's part in it all...

In the 4 issue comic mini: Countdown, (issue 2, I believe), Nero was looking into the back history of Starfleet and he came across info on Kirk's part in it all...

Yeah, he looked up Kirk Prime's backstory during his own timeline, so he could know that George was on the Kelvin.

However, he may not have know that George became active captain and went down with the ship because the autopilot was damaged. So I'm assuming he just checked up on changes in history due to his arrival after he broke out of Rura Penthe and that information may have been public record.

And I'm interested in the deleted scenes, though I do wish there was a directors cut version included in the bluray via seamless branching. I loved the theatrical cut, but I think some more backstory (not to mention the Rura Penthe scenes) would have fleshed the film out better.

Plus more scenes with that Orion girl is a good thing in my book :D:D:D

Last edited:
This is the main reason why Blu-ray will succeed and that downloads are only good for renting movies

I completely agree.

I downloaded "New In Town" so my wife could see a chick flick. We will never watch it again and I could care less about special features. For a movie like Star Trek, I want a physical copy of the movie in a nice looking package with lots of special features that I can instantly rewatch (and in multiple players in multiple locations). Streaming is nice for rental level films, but it will never take the place of a physical copy for me. (Unless the studios eventually give us no choice, as Disney did with the soundtrack for UP.)

I completely agree.

I downloaded "New In Town" so my wife could see a chick flick. We will never watch it again and I could care less about special features. For a movie like Star Trek, I want a physical copy of the movie in a nice looking package with lots of special features that I can instantly rewatch (and in multiple players in multiple locations). Streaming is nice for rental level films, but it will never take the place of a physical copy for me. (Unless the studios eventually give us no choice, as Disney did with the soundtrack for UP.)

Though I wouldn't want it, you can't actually buy a hard copy of the UP soundtrack? That's BS!

Back