Star Ace Harry Potter - Beards - rooted or sculpted?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry Potter 1/6 - sculpted or rooted beards?

• Sculpted

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Rooted

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters
The strong negative reaction to Dumbledore's rooted beard must have reached Star Ace. I really hope they reconsider and make this essential character right. Hagrid is an exception where rooted hair and beard could actually enhance the look IMO.

The strong negative reaction to Dumbledore's rooted beard must have reached Star Ace. I really hope they reconsider and make this essential character right. Hagrid is an exception where rooted hair and beard could actually enhance the look IMO.

Maybe, but I'm a fan of rooted for Hagrid and the Dumbledores - they just need to get it right. Not sure I'll be keen with rooted on those figures.

I think they got it right with Hagrid, just not with Dumbledore.

Yeah, agreed. I just wish they'd look closer at Hagrid pictures - his hair is not that long (as per their proto) but the sculpted looks closer to the correct length.

Like I said before - IMO Hagrid and the Dumbledores' defining characteristics are their beards/hair, so they need to stick to rooted and get it right. Everything else sculpted.

The Harris Dubledore would look great with it done right. I could put up with the clothes if they sorted his rooted beard.

I'm just praying the don't go with mixed - sculpted beard and rooted hair :slap

Again, just for clarification -- I prefer a sculpted beard and rooted hair. I don't think beard hair looks realistic unless it can be carefully and independently shaped and groomed because the hair is of such varying lengths, and you can't really fake it the way you can with head hair. So a mass produced rooted beard might be impractical. It's possible it could work with Hagrid because he has more of a tangle of beard hair. But even then I think the likeness is much more evident in the photo on the right. Dumbledore's beard looked terrible in the production piece.

The bottom line is we just want them to produce figures that will look great on display, that's all. Oh, and a not so ridiculous cost.

I wish they'd find better materials and techniques for rooted - then the extra cost becomes worth it - if it looks great, I'd stop moaning about their prices.

If they can't rise to that challenge or it's not practical, then sculpted is all that's left.

If Star Ace could really nail the rooted beard that would be the best way to go, but their Dumbledore figure was done no justice by it. Harris as Dumbledore had a very thick curly beard, which is something that I don't think can be replicated by going rooted.

Last edited:
Back