Stan Lee Autographs for $50 per... worth it or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it Scott! He's a god damn legend, but see if he'll take a picture with you. 50 bucks, he's probably not going to be at too many more shows.

I've been going to SDCC for 18 straight years, and Stan's autograph used to be easy to get. Every year I'd get him to sign a couple things. One year I even had him sign a Thing baseball hat I was wearing just for the heck of it. That's how easy and casual meeting him used to be.

Nowdays forget about it. Starting around the last 5 years or so it's been pretty much impossible.

I lucked out about 3 years ago (along with Adam from DSC :rip and The Josh) we walked right up and got a FREE signature; I had him sign the trade paper of "The Death of Gwen Stacy," still a prized possession of mine.

yes it's worth it but i wouldn't get him to sign a base of a statue, i would choose a GN or Comic.

true, but how many pieces has he signed over the years??
i don't think his sig will or would make that much differance in value added to some items.

Sentimental value, yes. Come on, he created the X-Men!(Well, him and Kirby!:bow)

Stan Lee is worth the $50! Imagine a world without Spider-Man, Hulk, X-men, Fantastic Four...

Stan Lee is like the Jesus of comic books! The difference between the two, of course, is I would go out of my way to see Stan Lee and pay $50 for his autograph! :rock

I'm not big on autographs so I don't go around paying for them at conventions. So if $50 sounds like a lot of money to stand in line to have something quickly signed then I don't blame you.

From an investment standpoint though I think it's totally worth it. I've seen Stan Lee do signings at a variety of places and the line is always out the door so there's definitely demand. Also a friend of mine got a comic book or something signed by Stan Lee and he claims it at least tripled in value.

So I just dug up the following comics that I'm considering having signed:

3910321_1.jpg
images

They are the Marvel Milestone reprintings that I picked up when I was collecting comics in highschool, back in early 90's. They haven't appreciated any and may be worth the $3 cover price. I just found this out, thought they might be at least $10, but no.

I'm not doing this to sell on eBay, at least not anytime soon, but I still think the more valuable the item is to begin with, just helps make it that much more special.

So anyway, I've heard people suggest not to get a statue's base signed, and opt for a comic or a print.

The only art prints that I have that are Marvel are some JSC ones, and that would be weird to have Stan Lee's signature written across MJ's ass.

And I'm not too keen on having the Amazing Fantasy 15 or X-Men #1 reprintings signed, because they are cheap (i.e. not rare) comics.

I have other Marvel comics from the 1990's, but mostly mutant stuff, Uncanny X-Men around #280 +/-20, and I don't think Stan Lee's signature would be appropriate on any of these issues. Same with Wolverine, Punisher, ghost Rider, Spiderman/Carnage/Venom, or FF or the Silver Surfer / Infinity Gauntlet issues I have around this time frame.

I do have some version of a Silver Surfer #1 that I forgot about. LINK

Am I just being too picky / weird? Am I over-thinking this? Or should I just go with my original thought of having the Hulk PF base signed?

If i had the chance, i would want my wolverine com. base signed.

with that said, i would want a statue signed rather than a comic book.

For $50 bucks, I better get a portrait of Spider Man from the shoulders up. Kevin Eastman, the creator of TMNT drew a picture of Shredder and talked to me for like 20 mins.

Back