Stan Lee Autographs for $50 per... worth it or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been going to SDCC for 18 straight years, and Stan's autograph used to be easy to get. Every year I'd get him to sign a couple things. One year I even had him sign a Thing baseball hat I was wearing just for the heck of it. That's how easy and casual meeting him used to be.

Nowdays forget about it. Starting around the last 5 years or so it's been pretty much impossible. One year I stood in line for a couple hours only to find out when I got close to the front that he would not sign anything except a very lame color photocopy promo for some cruddy line of comics he had his name attached to for 5 minutes. Then a couple years ago I waited in another long line to get a 'ticket' which would allow me to get in another line later and be 1 of several hundred that would get to have something signed. After waiting for a long time to get this ticket, turns out it was a 'lottery' ticket, and not a guaranteed ticket. But, I did end up 'winning' the lottery for a real ticket. Later, when I was in line for the signing, we were told Stan cancelled the signing! I had lugged a 100 pound Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus all day too to have signed. That was the final straw for me...no more going to any trouble to get Stan's sig.

I did bamboozle him one year when something similar happened w/a cancelled signing...I bought a Fantastic Four Omnibus at the con for the full cover price of $100, that I already had at home, because I found out he was 'signing' that day. Bought the book and lugged it around all day, then the signing was 'cancelled'. I was pissed, so I brought the book to the mega-panel he was speaking at. When they opened the room up to questions I got up and asked if he would 'do me the honor' of signing my book. I was openly booed by the crowd but he said yes and did it, lol!

$50 is totally worth it IMO.

--on the charging fee, I would have a lot of respect for these celebrities if the donated a portion to charities. Heck, they could probably donate all of it since they probably don't need it.

My wife sells makeup to his daughter sometimes, and I guess she mentioned one time that I'm a big comic geek. So one day she came home with a nice 8X10 black and white Spider-Man print with Stan Lee's auto accross the bottom for me.

Pretty nice of his daughter to go out of her way like that IMO!

I've been going to SDCC for 18 straight years, and Stan's autograph used to be easy to get. Every year I'd get him to sign a couple things. One year I even had him sign a Thing baseball hat I was wearing just for the heck of it. That's how easy and casual meeting him used to be.

Nowdays forget about it. Starting around the last 5 years or so it's been pretty much impossible. One year I stood in line for a couple hours only to find out when I got close to the front that he would not sign anything except a very lame color photocopy promo for some cruddy line of comics he had his name attached to for 5 minutes. Then a couple years ago I waited in another long line to get a 'ticket' which would allow me to get in another line later and be 1 of several hundred that would get to have something signed. After waiting for a long time to get this ticket, turns out it was a 'lottery' ticket, and not a guaranteed ticket. But, I did end up 'winning' the lottery for a real ticket. Later, when I was in line for the signing, we were told Stan cancelled the signing! I had lugged a 100 pound Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus all day too to have signed. That was the final straw for me...no more going to any trouble to get Stan's sig.

I did bamboozle him one year when something similar happened w/a cancelled signing...I bought a Fantastic Four Omnibus at the con for the full cover price of $100, that I already had at home, because I found out he was 'signing' that day. Bought the book and lugged it around all day, then the signing was 'cancelled'. I was pissed, so I brought the book to the mega-panel he was speaking at. When they opened the room up to questions I got up and asked if he would 'do me the honor' of signing my book. I was openly booed by the crowd but he said yes and did it, lol!

All's well that ends well.

:)

Worth it beyond belief especially if I could get it personalized and get a pic snapped? More than worth it. If he had come to WonderCon I would have gone just to get his autograph despite already deciding not to go. I hope before he dies to get his autograph and pic with him whether it costs $50 or $100.

$50 is totally worth it IMO.

--on the charging fee, I would have a lot of respect for these celebrities if the donated a portion to charities. Heck, they could probably donate all of it since they probably don't need it.

Yeah that's a great idea. It really would be cool of them to donate the fee to charity, then everybody feels good about it.

Worth it beyond belief especially if I could get it personalized and get a pic snapped? More than worth it. If he had come to WonderCon I would have gone just to get his autograph despite already deciding not to go. I hope before he dies to get his autograph and pic with him whether it costs $50 or $100.

The description says no pictures during autograph signings... which is lame. I'm hoping they will be a little lax on the rules as I would love to get a pic with me and him in it. I do plan on taking pics of him doing the signing, regardless of whatever rules they have posted.

I wish, he would come to Calgary. I would pay him to come to my house and pay him an extra $50 to sign every character he created and done by Sideshow.

Hm. I wonder how many characters that would be... Did he create Spider-Man? If so, that would be the only one SSC has made. Kirby created the rest...

Back