SSC Zartan 12-Inch Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No its not, Since SS glued the sides of the chest. But it is do-able.

I dont know what kind of glue they use. Or is they used glue at all. They might of used the plastic itself to weld the 2 parts together.:dunno

They used glue and nothing else. Before you posted the above, I tried to pry apart a broken Duke Pro because I wanted to see if it would be easy to replace the broken mid torso joint in my Flint (they're apparently all like that). I cut the joints and pried apart the lower torso no problem, but even after cutting completely through the sides, the upper wasn't budging.

I think the only easy way to take a Pro apart completely and without marring it, would be to use a Dremel to cut all the seems and pry it apart to break the posts deep inside.

My guess is just strong glue. I'm not aware of any figure I've had where the plastic was welded together. Seems like that would be a difficult and expensive production element.

Plastics aren't glued together, they ARE welded, just not in the traditional sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_welding

As a side note, I've been messing with Rock N Roll for a while now, and I have a strong dislike for Sideshow's bodies. These knees suck. Bad. Not only is the rubber thing just off-putting in general, both of the knees have looseness in the lateral rotation of the joint, so he just tends to keel over.

The only ratchet knee figure I have is Greedo, and he hasn't fallen over once since I got him. . . I can't get Rock N Roll to stay standing for more than a day or two. So, I really can't complain about the ratchet knees.

Bums me out because I have Zartan on Flex, and I don't want to eat the cancellation fees on him.

Why waste money on a Ultrasonic plastic welder when gluing is far cheaper and more common place?

I'm pretty sure these bodies are glued together because I once received a Buck body on a Outer Limits figure direct from SSC that had so much excess glue that the hip was permanently glued in place and there was visible excess glue on the body. I doubt SSC changed the way they have these bodies put together for the Pro.

Of course you could ask Sideshow, but I really don't care enough to hear the answer.

SwedishHeat said:
both of the knees have looseness in the lateral rotation of the joint, so he just tends to keel over.

All the ratchet knees have a lose rotation at the top of the knee as well as at the ankle, so it's nothing new. The way you easily fix this, is to take some tape (I'd recommend Teflon plumbing tape or just plain masking tape, I use the later.) and wrap the threaded post and place it back in. It won't take much, only a single layer works for me.

The new knees are just too stiff to pose well, if they were a little less stiff, I'd be happy.

ok so can i just pull out the knees and get ratchet Pro knees in place or do i need to go through the whole boil and pry thing like the arms....just not clear on this. thanks again fellas.

Yes, you should be able to. Just make sure you like the ratchet knees before you do it. I like them. And I like to give the guys who don't a hard time about them. But I completely understand why they don't like them and I don't want to be a party to talking anyone in to something they are gonna hate.:)

They used glue and nothing else. Before you posted the above, I tried to pry apart a broken Duke Pro because I wanted to see if it would be easy to replace the broken mid torso joint in my Flint (they're apparently all like that). I cut the joints and pried apart the lower torso no problem, but even after cutting completely through the sides, the upper wasn't budging.

I think the only easy way to take a Pro apart completely and without marring it, would be to use a Dremel to cut all the seems and pry it apart to break the posts deep inside.

Did you remove the screws?:D

Of course I did.
It got to the point where it would be more trouble then it's worth to try and fix a body that's broken, but not disabled. Flint works just fine with the cracked mid torso.

I had to crack mine open. I dremmeled the sides and once that didnt work, I jammed a flat head screwdriver into one of the sides and twisted until it opened. Ofcourse the parts inside flew everywhere. If it wasn't for the fact that I hate the pro and needed the arms with the tattoo. I wouldn't have bothered. But once I had the arms on the True Type it was worth it, to me anyways.

I had to crack mine open. I dremmeled the sides and once that didnt work, I jammed a flat head screwdriver into one of the sides and twisted until it opened. Ofcourse the parts inside flew everywhere. If it wasn't for the fact that I hate the pro and needed the arms with the tattoo. I wouldn't have bothered. But once I had the arms on the True Type it was worth it, to me anyways.

It'd be nice if you could more easily take these things apart, then I would just need to find someone with two lefts instead of taking a hammer to mine once the replacement comes in from SSC.
When clothes are on the figure, I don't mind the pro, it's not as perfect as the True Type, but also not as expensive.
I also like the Soldier Story body, unfortunately, the hands and boots aren't swappable, the only thing holding it back from being a contender with the True Type.

After missing the Zartan pre-order, getting on the waitlist, having the waitlist order cancelled, having Zartan come back in stock and go back out again...I got an email today far a "second chance" for my waitlist order.

I cancelled my exclusive hope one of forum members gets him ...I 'll have to pick up zartan sometime later on.....

I got tired of waiting for the SDCC exclusives to be announced, so I cashed in my Sideshow Rewards for a second Zartan.

Initially, I tried to stain the plastic using RIT dye, I left him in overnight, but the only pieces that stained were the elbow/knee joint connectors.

Here he is painted up with acrylic paint.

BlueZartan01.jpg

BlueZartan02.jpg

Yes, I expect a SDCC exclusive "Blue Zartan" announcement any day now... :)

I got tired of waiting for the SDCC exclusives to be announced, so I cashed in my Sideshow Rewards for a second Zartan.

Initially, I tried to stain the plastic using RIT dye, I left him in overnight, but the only pieces that stained were the elbow/knee joint connectors.

Here he is painted up with acrylic paint.

BlueZartan01.jpg

BlueZartan02.jpg

Yes, I expect a SDCC exclusive "Blue Zartan" announcement any day now... :)

Not only does it look good, but I really appreciate you doing this. Because as you mentioned...you have all but garanteed that we will get a blue version for SDCC.

As I said at the MMMV, I love it, and was thinking of doing it myself (though ultimately, I lack the nerve). Only issue is his expression. He should be saying, "No! I hate the sunlight!!"

See, initially he was scowling, but then he heard that "Cold Slither" was getting back together for a reunion tour, and I didn't take the picture in time...

Back