SSC Voltron: Defender of the Universe Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im disappointed but I think it would be a mistake to return it. Seriously doubt this will ever be made again, and I love the Harbottle sculpt. I'm actually tempted to try to repaint this myself- scared to death but tempted lol. The more amateurish the paint looks when it arrives, the greater my courage will be cuz maybe even I might do better. Im thinking chrome out the gray plasticky metal paint Robledo-style. Maybe just forget the battle damage. Also thinking this would be pretty sick with some hot rod metallics...

I dont know...to me the "realistic" take on the scuplt plus the cartoony nature of the paint shceme (saturated colors) doesnt seem to mix 100% that well.

Still want someone to do a large scale OG version.
Wonder if F4F can do some Voltron stuff...

"but guys....its got a lot of pieces to mold...so that makes it cool"

Not likely to return mine but SS should be ashamed of themselves for letting total failures of painting do this piece.

There is absolutely no way the same paint was used on this as the prototype.

The 2 things that happened are:

A: Sideshow uses Photoshop to make their prototypes pix look better. Even their pix of the production piece are not dull like this looks.

B: Sideshow is not ensuring the same paint is being used by the painters and that they follow the prototype because the paint looks totally different and the battle damage is not the same as well as the paint scheme varies.

They hide behind the disclaimer actual product may differ instead of putting out a quality piece of work. They are similar to a dating site where you show up and the person looks nothing like their profile photo.

One thing SS can guarantee is that they won't fix this and not take responsibility for it. 25% refund is in order.

Its a honeytrap. Blow everyones mind at the big shows, hog all the press with a show stealing prototype, pack out their preorders, and then deliver something not even close to what people were wowed with. It really is dishonest. If they can only deliver a production quality piece they should be showing a production quality prototype. Lots of companies use factory prototypes and you get exactly what you order.

I'm trying to avoid SS from now on, but when they announce a niche product like this youre kind of stuck. Only thing Im gonna order from here is their JS Campbell line because that line so far has a proven track record of delivering a prototype level piece. Surprisingly I have only two SS 1:4 pieces. Red Sonja- botched paint, and Green Hulk- botched teeth. Now theyre 3 for 3 with Voltron- and at $1200 :slap

These toys are pissed off right now. Lmao
IMG_5541.jpg

Oh sorry these cases are holding a mixed bunch of stuff moving out, in fact I'm likely getting rid of these Detolfs. Building custom shelves and I have 6 large PAX shelves.

Shelf build in my sig.

Paint job on this piece does not look good. For 1200 it should be perfect.
Prime One G1 statues are also very expensive at least their paint job is spot on..

One marginally bad paint job and they're all bad...ok :lol

Pics are the same on the SS website. The weathering job is just poorly done. Magic marker graffiti on the yellow lion. Little chicken scratches all over the chest. Weird airbrushing of the lines on the legs that make even in focus pics look blurry. That with the first reciever's opinion that it looks like cheap plastic I think should have anybody who's ordered a bit frustrated. How many SS botch up threads say things constantly like "What did you expect for $450". This one is $1200. For that kind of investment I expected a bit more attention. PrototypeZ, F4F, and Prime1 have proven it can be done. Even gaming heads dirtied up Lara Croft Survivor better than this at 1/4 the price.

All that said, Im not completely pessimistic about this piece. Theres still a lot of good about it. Just now, its yet another SS piece that has to be fixed.

I'm just not understanding why the paint isn't even the same. While the skill level is clearly childish for battle damage the paint itself looks wrong. It's like a washed out red and not the metal look it should be.

If you ask me this piece is called false advertising and a refund is not the answer. They should be sued for false advertising and misleading customers. They should not be allowed to show products and hide behind the product may vary BS.

Here to hoping Thanos lives up to the hype next.

I am going to research this and see. I'm sick of the false advertising period.

Is there anyone else who got theirs? Pix?

Battle Damage aside is it just the red that's the issue. It appears that way but it seems to look the worst and most washed out.

I'm convinced SS photoshops their pix as well. Brighten and alter colors.

I can likely take pix on Tuesday and post prototype colors using photoshop.

I do realize the pix above are not from SS I didn't think so it's a combo of **** paint and Photoshop.

Not for free. The production pictures are up on Sideshows site, so there is nothing wrong with the piece in their opinion.

Way too many ?s regarding their pieces in the past year or so, I mean this is not the same piece you all thought you were going to be getting, Pose yes, that is it!

Also I have a couple nrds and reward points transfered to Voltron that SS probably wouldnt give me back. That was paid all around a year or more ago. My final payment was $860 which does take the sting out of the full monty a bit. Their customer service is the best, but not really when it comes to their universal foul ups. If his arms came out bent in the wrong direction they would say theyre all that way, so thats how theyre supposed to be. Thats how they acted with Hulk.

Im not sure if the red paint is a different color or the flash/lighting on the camera made it come out more berry colored. I have found pics of even the prototype under the con lighting that looked more berryish. Could be a different color tho- Red Sonja was incredibly off colored.

Back