SSC Voltron: Defender of the Universe Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo...I recently got a deal on this and opened him up. WOW! Amazing statue and must have if you are a Voltron fan. Bigger than I expected.

Look it over. Especially the yellow lion.

It’s only a small part that can be viewed as a bad paint app specific to that lion but as a total piece it’s amazing. Ok it’s badazz.

If you stare long enough you may say some of the battle damage was not thought out by the artists as I’ve said prior they should look at this statue and see how he would move and use his arms and legs to attack and defend and that would instantly tell them where and how to apply the battle marks but it’s clear they just put it anywhere in a few cases or the color was stupid like the brown on yellow!?!?!?

Even with that said it has many more great areas than the few questionable ones and I score it a 9 out of 10 for all the amazing detail and the 95% that is great paint work. I have to give it to Josh Nizzi(sp) on his vision. Just the most mean looking Voltron I’ve seen.

I’m still hoping they do an original with the sword back with the green lion forward from the cartoon and/or this versions as 5 single lions in a huge premium format each. With this not selling out at 1000 there’s likely no chance.

Random comment, but man, that Netflix Voltron show is so so impressive. I really enjoy that show. That's my biggest reason for wanting to invest in a Voltron statue. I remember watching the cartoon when I was really young, but I don't think I appreciated it as much as some.

This Netflix cartoon though is such a breath of fresh air.

Random comment, but man, that Netflix Voltron show is so so impressive. I really enjoy that show. That's my biggest reason for wanting to invest in a Voltron statue. I remember watching the cartoon when I was really young, but I don't think I appreciated it as much as some.

This Netflix cartoon though is such a breath of fresh air.

Yup! It's awesome!

D8AB1C18-6F38-4A6E-B4AA-57039118E144.jpg

Look it over. Especially the yellow lion.

Blue Lion and Black are just as bad. He really needs to be chromed out also. Really still hope to give this piece a better paintup someday, but with a crazy amount of surprise preorders lately I doubt it will ever happen. Feeling a little burnt too looking at how other companies are dealing with their qc. HMO halted shipping on their latest piece to correct a helmet that had battle damage exactly like Voltron. P1 is releasing Gurren Lagann at the same price also, and Im sure it will be quality. No more Sideshow for me after Steve Schumacher’s JSC pieces.

why did I look at this thread lol Makes me want this now. Despite the flaws Voltron was my favorite cartoon as a kid

Sorry but the statue is far better than it is bad. Not perfect but an easy 9.

The sculpt is a 10 hands down (should be a 12)
The paint is a 10 hands down
The battle damage is a 7 in my opinion.

I do not agree or disagree with the chromed our thought because this is not the original nor meant to have chrome. It was colored just as it was envisioned. Sure I’d like chrome but without it he looks fine to me.

I agree the battle damage is subpar but there is plenty on mine that looks great to me.

I do not agree or disagree with the chromed our thought because this is not the original nor meant to have chrome. It was colored just as it was envisioned. Sure I’d like chrome but without it he looks fine to me.

I agree the battle damage is subpar but there is plenty on mine that looks great to me.

All that matters is you like it. :rock

I don't think this piece looks bad at all, and like I said, had I been a bigger fan, I'd love to own this.

I agree there is more good than bad. For $1200 though (beating the dead horse to death again here) there shouldnt be any bad. Thats what makes it so frustrating- plus being told for years paying $350 for other SS pieces that the paint sux because youre not paying them enough. You spend 3 times as much thinking it’ll make a difference but nope- you get the same games. As far as metal chroming goes or anything else for that matter, if it was shown with it then it was meant to have it. People should get what theyve been sold, and there was really no intention on Sideshows part to deliver on what they were selling. It looks ok under dim lighting but it contributes to the overall plasticky look of the piece. I have mine in my PAX unit under warm lighting and it doesnt look too bad. Mirror chroming the metal parts tho like the prototype would hugely increase the greatness of this piece. It would also get rid of the odd airbrush shading on the legs fwiw. But its gonna be a lot of work.

As is I would give it an 8 overall. Sculpt 10, paint 7, battle damage 5 since the arms and wings are good and legs chest and head bad. It has the potential for legendary status though, with a little tlc.

I agree there is more good than bad. For $1200 though (beating the dead horse to death again here) there shouldnt be any bad. Thats what makes it so frustrating- plus being told for years paying $350 for other SS pieces that the paint sux because youre not paying them enough. You spend 3 times as much thinking it’ll make a difference but nope- you get the same games. As far as metal chroming goes or anything else for that matter, if it was shown with it then it was meant to have it. People should get what theyve been sold, and there was really no intention on Sideshows part to deliver on what they were selling. It looks ok under dim lighting but it contributes to the overall plasticky look of the piece. I have mine in my PAX unit under warm lighting and it doesnt look too bad. Mirror chroming the metal parts tho like the prototype would hugely increase the greatness of this piece. It would also get rid of the odd airbrush shading on the legs fwiw. But its gonna be a lot of work.

As is I would give it an 8 overall. Sculpt 10, paint 7, battle damage 5 since the arms and wings are good and legs chest and head bad. It has the potential for legendary status though, with a little tlc.

Agreed. I hate the thighs compared to the prototype but I guess I didn’t notice the chrome on it.

I’d love to have a 2nd piece to repaint but with no way to disassemble it it would be tough for me.

The proto was painted very well.

yeah it cant really be disassembled. Probably has to be cut off at the connection points and then epoxied back together. Maybe use some hot glue for a temporary hold, then epoxy on afterwords with a brush. Might as well paint over the lions as well since half the pieces are off. I wonder what metallic paints would look like? Im not really that skilled but I’d risk it since its not like Im scribbling on him with a black pen lol. Not worried about resale value since Im not reselling. SS cant even sell them all as it is. Id probably just leave the battle damage off. Voltron needs to be a 10. Its just finding the time...

Voltron is waitlisted now. Does that mean it finally sold out? Or they didn’t get close to selling the 1k and stop producing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back