SSC Voltron: Defender of the Universe Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just inboxed mine. I was ready to nitpick the $h!t out of this piece. I was negative as hell while opening this up. Grumbling and mumbling to myself about what I was about to see. I was fully preparing myself to see an actual pile of Chinese turds inside....BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! This piece is ****ing awesome!!!!!! I was expecting it to be much bigger. Don't get me wrong, it's huge...I was just expecting small child size I guess. I was ready to bash the battle damage, but mine looks fine. Some pictures looked like battle damage was applied with a silver crayon and that's not the case with mine. I was shooting daggers out of my eyes as I inspected the infamous yellow lion but it gave me nothing but love in return! Then I was expecting the red chest plate to be some flimsy piece of plastic, and it might be plastic, but it seemed strong think and awesome. That sounded like I was describing something else...anyway, I was just more and more impressed with each piece I inspected. I can't even begin to describe all the details...just amazing. I love this guy!! It's freaking majestic is what it is. I'm more than happy with mine. I feel bad for those that aren't half as pleased as I am. I don't know what to say to those on the fence about ordering. I guess if you're a fan and like the pictures others have posted then order this beast. I don't think you'll regret it.

Agreed pretty much, there's far more positives. As I've studied it more as I've had it I see this things detail is off the charts. It looks like it could just start moving. I can't stress the level of detail in the sculpt, it's off the chart with the tiniest of detail and working mechanisms, well you know what I mean.

My nervousness of the metal not looking metal is gone, it looks like metal and my chest plate looks on point. He may have plastic parts but honestly it's so solid I can't tell what's plastic really 100%.

Every time I walk into the room so far I'm like no doubt my best piece so far. It just feels like Voltron.

Congrats guys, glad you like him. It really is a tricky statue to review or recommend. I feel like the sculpt is a $1200 sculpt while the paint is mediocre. However the sculpt almost completely overshadows the paint with all the small details, nooks and crannies. I got it expecting to be pissed about the paint, instead all I noticed really was the fine level of detail. I want to be more upset about the paint, but all that comes out of my mouth is, "dang this is cool" lol.

He is one heavy mofo. And much bigger than I thought. Barely squeezed him into my PAX. Might have to find him a bigger home!

To reviewhim would likely come out bad. He's amazing but if I had to nit pick there would be a lot of this battle damage looks dumb or this doesn't even look like battle damage. A lot of the damage would look far better in silver not the brown or whatever they used on the yellow lion or along a hard line then pulled over it like a real scrape. While I could never paint it generally I think I'd do amazing with scrapes.

May not be the best paint job but damn sure isn't the worst either. On a 1 - 10 scale I'm giving the paint/battle damage a 7.5. Sculpt is a 10!! Pose 9.

Just unboxed mine. I was ready to nitpick the $h!t out of this piece. I was negative as hell while opening this up. Grumbling and mumbling to myself about what I was about to see. I was fully preparing myself to see an actual pile of Chinese turds inside....BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! This piece is ****ing awesome!!!!!! I was expecting it to be much bigger. Don't get me wrong, it's huge...I was just expecting small child size I guess. I was ready to bash the battle damage, but mine looks fine. Some pictures looked like battle damage was applied with a silver crayon and that's not the case with mine. I was shooting daggers out of my eyes as I inspected the infamous yellow lion but it gave me nothing but love in return! Then I was expecting the red chest plate to be some flimsy piece of plastic, and it might be plastic, but it seemed strong think and awesome. That sounded like I was describing something else...anyway, I was just more and more impressed with each piece I inspected. I can't even begin to describe all the details...just amazing. I love this guy!! It's freaking majestic is what it is. I'm more than happy with mine. I feel bad for those that aren't half as pleased as I am. I don't know what to say to those on the fence about ordering. I guess if you're a fan and like the pictures others have posted then order this beast. I don't think you'll regret it.

This piece is just amazing bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aa8facea93b8640f8107c3d1c2a1e9c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, that is soo close. Got mine in my PAX now and he just barely fit. Wasnt expecting he was quite so tall as I have other pieces I thought just as tall. You need to be either low or farther back to see him completely as he is obscured somewhat by the shelf above him. I need to move him higher or just get a bigger PAX. The lighting sucks in my pic, looks better in real life

IMG_6171.jpg

has anybody else noticed that the color scheme of his face is kind of off? Somehow it blew right over my head.

IMG_6149.jpg
IMG_6173.JPG

Just scribbled in some black over his mask area. Tempted to do it with a little paint.

IMG_6172.JPG

he doesnt look bad at all as is, but maybe he could be a bit closer. The grooves in the face would make it super easy to paint also

Iif not mistaken, he could be all blue in the image but the black is his own shadow.
Just being an 80s cartoon robot, the hard edges of angles just give that look/feel of two colors.

I thought that might be the case but I cant find a single image or still without the black mask. I'll have to watch me some cartoons later to see.

Lol the lion also looks like it has white for the mouth. It's not a big deal plus there is black used in the lines of his face.

This is a reimagined piece and it's perfectly done imho. Enjoy FS and at least you can display yours. My shelves won't be done till the weekend at the earliest. All my stuff is blocked in upstairs and he's down by my aquarium. I did put my Vader up on the shelves to test so here's the height look. I think they are the same height right?

IMG_5674.jpg

Lol the lion also looks like it has white for the mouth. It's not a big deal plus there is black used in the lines of his face.

This is a reimagined piece and it's perfectly done imho.

Nothing wrong with his face at all, as is. Just thinking out loud different options. Downside to adding the mask is barely being able to see any blue. Main things want to change is the battle damage if I can find a tutorial, and mirror chrome the metal parts.

Nothing wrong with his face at all, as is. Just thinking out loud different options. Downside to adding the mask is barely being able to see any blue. Main things want to change is the battle damage if I can find a tutorial, and mirror chrome the metal parts.

If you fix the weathering that will improve this piece significantly.

The only forms of battle damage should of been bare metal on some hard edges and the paint burns/smearing should of had a professional get the right colors. Weathering on the metal parts looks fine as is. If you go look at my green lion I think I got lucky with significant scrapes. The only part I didn't like was midway by the yellow stripe. Total idiot mark just check the pic.

I get the green lion as it's not the sword hand so I expect more on the green. My red lion is also good but again if you look at the midway point they had no reason to add the fat blotches along the hard line scrapes. Just put the brush down and leave it only on the hard lines where you'd expect paint to rub off.

They also did great on my blue lion with the silver scrapes. In the back they used black for some reason mixed with silver.

I guess it is mainly the yellow lion. It still boggles my mind who it the world would ever put so many frikin little marks on it. That coupled with using a lighter yellow and black/brown. This person in no way went to school. Just the pix of the back and front of the blue and yellow is proof the same person did not work on them both.

By looking at the pix the same dumbass did all the yellow lions and clearly had something more important to do.

More of it is good and as stated that sculpt is insane. Just wish they would take my yellow lion back and repaint it at Sideshow. I'd pay $250 to have the original prototype painters redo it. The whole statue.

If you fix the weathering that will improve this piece significantly.

I think so. Not sure though if I can just add over it or if it needs to have the old marks painted over. Some of it is just odd and in weird places. I think mirror chroming the metal parts will make him come alive also. I was just looking at some pics of the proto and it definitely had it done. What we got was pretty much gray paint.

IMG_6142.jpg
IMG_6182.JPG

It'll definitely make him pop. Just gonna be tricky cuz of all that detail underneath the plate armor :thud:

I think so. Not sure though if I can just add over it or if it needs to have the old marks painted over. Some of it is just odd and in weird places. I think mirror chroming the metal parts will make him come alive also. I was just looking at some pics of the proto and it definitely had it done. What we got was pretty much gray paint.

View attachment 360460
View attachment 360461

It'll definitely make him pop. Just gonna be tricky cuz of all that detail underneath the plate armor :thud:
Wow! The more I see that proto, the more disappointed I am. :gah:

Go for it FS! Get a proper paint going... a higher sheen (not chrome) on the thighs and correct weathering throughout. Would love to see it. :duff

Back