SSC Superman 1/6th Scale figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got on me proportion, head sculpt I disagree, but that's my own preference. I actually don't care for the new 52 look. And if you are comparing the Hush Supes, I prefer the cloth costume over the plastic one. Don' t get me wrong there is a lot to dislike about the SSC Supes, but I can fix that.
For the sculpt, I was referring more to how close it is to the source material.

And I also prefer cloth suits, but it would be hard to replicate the details and look of the New 52 suits on cloth.

I like it all except his head. Other than the wonky jawline which looks really bad, the problem with this and the Batman version is their faces have too much detail in them. That sounds crazy to say because we always want details added but the details in the face don't match the simple nature of the costume. Simple. Just tone down the details of the face. Stop trying to sculpt every nook and cranny in the guy's face. Soften the sculpt so it doesn't look like a real freakin' head on a doll's body. The costumes on the Superman and Batman figures look great (not $200 great but that's another tale to be told); it's the realistic freakin' heads that need to be simplified and toned down.

Well, everyone just told you what I was going to say. That is not the problem with the figure

I personally do not like the work of the artist doing this.

For many of the figures the person has done, including the GI Joes, he tends to give them long faces and have the eyes a bit too far apart. The mouths are also a bit too low on the face and wide.

They are acceptable, but I personally do not like them, his style

yes they all should as i think nearly all the main hero guys dcd put out had the same body ,the only issue with the ssc bats body is the fore arms taiper really thin in the wrist section ,with bats its no problem because the gauntlet section of the gloves cover it up ,but on a supes conversion it will show ,i used a little foam rubber to compensate for the thin wrists

Thanks fo the info! any idea WHERE to find these?? seems like theyre sold out everywhere ! LOL

no sorry i don't ,i got lucky a while back with Toy Anxiety ,need another one but due to the increased demand and the time difference in the uk ,ive had no luck since ,they were great though ,bought it friday and it arrived to me in the uk on the following tuesday ,for $12 postage ,fantastic cant recommend them highly enough , i wish i could find another ,anyway good luck you being on the same timezone as them cant hurt your chances lmk if you find a spare lol

Thanks for the info.. im actually going to modify a dc direct body to look more to scale. The upper body is as bulky as the max agression.. trimed down a tad might look ok
no sorry i don't ,i got lucky a while back with Toy Anxiety ,need another one but due to the increased demand and the time difference in the uk ,ive had no luck since ,they were great though ,bought it friday and it arrived to me in the uk on the following tuesday ,for $12 postage ,fantastic cant recommend them highly enough , i wish i could find another ,anyway good luck you being on the same timezone as them cant hurt your chances lmk if you find a spare lol

None of which explains why Sideshow's sculpt looks more like a cartoon than this...

url

Well, explain to me then why the SS figure looks like a cartoon? Maybe because it's a doll (not a statue or PF!!) based on a cartoon (comic book)??

Yes we do :huh

SupermanAlexRoss.jpg

The amount of detail is not the problem at all, it's the bad tailoring and the bad proportions, nothing more.

What? :lol have you seen the premium format? Tell me that wouldn't translate well.

There are a LOT of examples of silly costumes translated to film perfectly.

Again, premium format.

Nope, that's not the problem at all, you're trying too hard to wash SSC's hands, they made a bad figure, don't blame the design.

I think static statues and PFs are a little different than poseable dolls. The highly detailed face on this Superman figure looks freakish. It has nothing to do with the cloth outfit and tailoring (as you put it) which looks fantastic. Tell me then, what exactly can SS do to the outfit to make it look good with that realistic head? LOL Washing SS's hands?? Please...

Last edited:
Well, everyone just told you what I was going to say. That is not the problem with the figure

I personally do not like the work of the artist doing this.

For many of the figures the person has done, including the GI Joes, he tends to give them long faces and have the eyes a bit too far apart. The mouths are also a bit too low on the face and wide.

They are acceptable, but I personally do not like them, his style

I said the problem with the figure is the head and now you are telling me the same thing; you don't like the head. LOL The other guy who chimed in likes the head but thinks the tailoring on the outfit is the problem.

Personally I think the head is part of it, he looks like Ronald Reagan. If he looked like James Garner or Gregory Peck that would make sense to me. The head, the body, the tailoring, there's too much not going right for this figure. The proto-type was perfect to me; this isn't even close. From the Hasbro Superman figures to the DC Direct 13" figures all the way down to the modern 52 Jim Lee Supes by Medicom, they all have something in common and that's focused source material, you know exactly what they were going for. The concept drawings that they had were great, this looks like poor execution on SSC's part.

I think static statues and PFs are a little different than poseable dolls. The highly detailed face on this Superman figure looks freakish. It has nothing to do with the cloth outfit and tailoring (as you put it) which looks fantastic. Tell me then, what exactly can SS do to the outfit to make it look good with that realistic head? LOL Washing SS's hands?? Please...
Huh? I didn't say that :lol

I said it has everything to do with the tailoring and bad proportions, the suit is poorly tailored on the crotch part, more specifically the briefs.

The body is too skinny for Superman, and the head is too damn big, that's it, it basically comes down to those 3 problems, it has nothing to do with the simplistic classic design of the suit nor the amount of detail of the face, because sure as hell the prototype didn't look nearly as laughable as the end product, and it was the same suit and possibly a more detailed face.

How to fix it? Get a more muscular body, make a smaller head, make better tailored trunks, that's it.

Also, you said the comicbook suit wouldn't translate well to a movie, well the premium format is realistic enough to pass for a real person, it has little to do with it being articulated or not, proof of that is that the HT Reeve figure actually looks better than the premium format.

I said the problem with the figure is the head and now you are telling me the same thing; you don't like the head. LOL The other guy who chimed in likes the head but thinks the tailoring on the outfit is the problem.
No, I did not say the head is the problem with this figure.

I only said I did not like the sculpts of the artist that did this figure and many others for Sideshow in general.

The detail on this Superman is great and does not ruin the figure at all, the body is.

Again, I just dont like the style of the artist in general. Minor stuff that I notice he does in most of the headsculpts he has worked on.

He tends to do big mouths and chins, eyes too wide apart, mouth very low on the face. You might not notice it and not care, but those details keep them from been perfect to me.

Personally I think the head is part of it, he looks like Ronald Reagan. If he looked like James Garner or Gregory Peck that would make sense to me. The head, the body, the tailoring, there's too much not going right for this figure. The proto-type was perfect to me; this isn't even close. From the Hasbro Superman figures to the DC Direct 13" figures all the way down to the modern 52 Jim Lee Supes by Medicom, they all have something in common and that's focused source material, you know exactly what they were going for. The concept drawings that they had were great, this looks like poor execution on SSC's part.
Every time I see the Sideshow Batman's face, I thinks its Will Ferrel behind the mask. But besides that, it is a great figure.

You are taking the criticism too personally.
No-one is attacking you.
All anyone is doing is grumbling about the product.
Don't take it like it's an attack on you(unless you made it yourself).
Some like it. Some don't. It's bizarre that those who do like it, feel the need to aggressively defend it.
It's just product. I loved the proto and wanted one. But cancelled when the final pics showed up.

I think I see what buzz is saying. To me, I thought that all the SS iterations were trying to play off the AB legendary bust sculpt when they first got the DC license. This seemed to be following suit along with Bats. I think SS probably agrees to the fact that something is getting lost in translation, which is why the next offerings will have the printed fabric to give the 1/6th renditions more texture. The sizing on the body is indeed an artistic choice, which doesn't follow the LSB or the PF, so it is odd that after making that choice, they stuck to the SS signature superman hs. This really isn't as bad as the pics would suggest. Lee in MI and I posed this figure for about 45 min at SDCC and it is a cool figure, but you gotta futz the **** outta it, but it does get there. I do like the new pics SS put up, bravo to them for doing so. I think they will visit these two again so that there will be versions that go with the more textured and techy look of GL and Flash, so folks can wait to see those take shape as well if passing on this one.
Is it a bad figure, yes outta the box you're gonna kick yourself, but after some futzing, water treatment, and ****ing with that cape collar over and over, you're gonna be like damn, this is a cool friggin figure. It's just gonna take some falling in love is all.

I still want this as well. Although I posted the below pics before, I think it bears reposting because there are still many comments referring to the prototype, suggesting how much better it was. The proto was very similar to what we are actually getting, so I'm still staying optimistic...
View attachment 153045

Also, using the worst pics that can be found on the internet to argue that this is a terrible figure isn't entirely fair. It's not the best figure, it's not the figure it could have been, but it's easy to find horrible pics of a figure and use them as evidence. Just the same way great pics can make a figure look better than it actually is.

Sometimes you get figures that are love it or hate it figures, this one is an it's ok or really hate it figure. :lol

The very best pics so far make this look pretty good and the worst pics make it look like a bad Hasbro doll. I just see great potential. Unfortunately it's pricey for just great potential but it's so close to what I think is a great comic book Supes that I'm willing to invest in it.

It's either customize SS's or I buy a DC Direct Classic Supes for half the price and spend another $150-200 to get it looking decent. I choose SS's.

Back