SSC Superman 1/6th Scale figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever drones
View attachment 165656
View attachment 165657
View attachment 165658
View attachment 165659
View attachment 165660
View attachment 165661

these are just some of my ref pics. Just because you can't think outside the box doesn't mean i have to follow you

I give a lot of respect to these body builders for working hard to get how they look in those pictures, but Superman's build is all around very muscular but balance, heroic, and iconic. But I have to admit if one wants to sculpt base on certain reference, I would prefer base on comic references than certain real life pictures above...... No offense, but some of these thighs...... are just....... I don't know how to describe politely...... "Out of box", maybe..... :cuckoo:

Then again, as long you like it, that's more important than what others say..... Personally, I find TTM20's low man boobs under tight suit eliminates the definitions of its abs muscles, and that perky butt makes it even more weird with superhero trunks on. The thigh is so thick and round which lack of definitions..... makes it even harder to sculpt over to begin with. I would rather stick with the original SS Superman body, or SS Batman body. (Personal experience with every single body available in the 1/6 industry. There isn't a body I have not try nor owned before. And every single bodies have been taken part to understand the in n out of its design)

If we are talking about out of the box, your style and preference definily explain the result, and I respect that : )

This is a figure, that for some reason (maybe the sculpt, or costume colours, or something) looks much better in hand than in photos (albeit there have been some great photos in this thread), so I'm guessing Groovy's looks better than it appears in the photos.
That said, I don't think that the HT bodies are the right choice for this figure. I'm not a customizer, and don't have the skill, but the HT bodies are meant to look like real human bodies. The TTM20? was it? does look real, to Groovy's point, that is how body builders look. The bodies used for the HT Arnold terminators are pretty accurate. However, Comic superhero proportion is very different to real life (any "How to Draw Comics" book will illustrate that). Even the HT MOS body is idealized, because that's not how Cavill's body actually looked (just look at the shirtless scenes from the movie).
The SSC bodies, although not as good as HT bodies for posing, articulation, etc., are a better base to enhance, because the superhero proportions are already there.

Those dudes look like silly cartoons. Those builds just don't work for Superman. Superman would have the build similar to an NFL linebacker not a body builder.

But it's your figure.....

this quote always made me laugh! :rotfl

I think even though it's a very constructive criticism, not all can absorb and accept it. Some will do defense move right away,
so IMHO we can't, or should not even try to give more criticism, because it will have no result anyway. XD

Ma Hunkel !!!

Touche!! :lol

This is a figure, that for some reason (maybe the sculpt, or costume colours, or something) looks much better in hand than in photos (albeit there have been some great photos in this thread), so I'm guessing Groovy's looks better than it appears in the photos.
That said, I don't think that the HT bodies are the right choice for this figure. I'm not a customizer, and don't have the skill, but the HT bodies are meant to look like real human bodies. The TTM20? was it? does look real, to Groovy's point, that is how body builders look. The bodies used for the HT Arnold terminators are pretty accurate. However, Comic superhero proportion is very different to real life (any "How to Draw Comics" book will illustrate that). Even the HT MOS body is idealized, because that's not how Cavill's body actually looked (just look at the shirtless scenes from the movie).
The SSC bodies, although not as good as HT bodies for posing, articulation, etc., are a better base to enhance, because the superhero proportions are already there.

This figure and SSC's Batman both photograph terribly. In person they're different beasts altogether.

I think Superman's physique is more of a body builders--lean, cut and sculptured. Sideshow's body has better proportions then Hot toys in this area because there hips /waist are narrow were as hot toys's are too wide. A body builder is one that wants to build his/her body. A professional body builder is one that wants to build his body to compete in competition. To compete in in completion and be good at it one needs to have size, symmetry and defininition. Some are in different stages of this development. I had a Math teacher in Jr high school by the name of Frank Zane. He along with Arnold, and Lee Haney are pictured below. frank-zane6.jpgArnold Schwarzenegger Young Body Pictures.jpghaney05.jpgsuperman_metropolis___finest_by_spidey0318-d4juq2g.jpg

I think even though it's a very constructive criticism, not all can absorb and accept it. Some will do defense move right away,
so IMHO we can't, or should not even try to give more criticism, because it will have no result anyway. XD

I thought the whole point in posting pictures of your work is to get feedback. :dunno

I think Superman physique is more of a body builder--lean, cut and sculptured. Sideshow's body has better proportions then Hot toys in this area because there hips /waist are narrow were as hot toys's are too wide. A body builder is one that wants to build his/her body. A professional body builder is one that wants to build his body to compete in competition. To compete in in completion and be good at it one needs to have size, symmetry and defininition. Some are in different stages of this development. I had a Math teacher in Jr high school by the name of Frank Zane. He along with Arnold, and Lee Haney are pictured below.

Sure, that's how competitive body builders look when they are pumped for competition (they pump weights right before going on stage), oiled up, fake tan (in some cases), dried out (they basically get rid of all the water in their body), and flexed. They do look different when relaxed, and just walking around. Even that pic of Frank... he's not just standing there, relaxed, he's actually flexing to maintain the look. It's basically considered a "casual" pose... The HT terminator bodies are designed to look like a very muscular man, but relaxed (and under clothing), which again, is why it's probably not ideal for a comic-based Superhero

It's actually ok by me if you guys don't like what I did. I also did what I did to make him posable so I did less muscle elsewhere. Over all I like mine. I felt the stock body was to small in so many area's. Unlike most of you I am building a justice league. It would be ludicrous for me personally to have a similar body form for all the characters.
I thought the one green lantern someone did was to fat because GL is lean muscle body. I'm sure those who hate my superman will hate all of my justice league figures and I'm fine with that. Because it will be my team. So I stand behind all my decisions because each will have there own look.

Most artists draw each character with a similar if not almost exactly the same build. Especially those from 15 or more years ago. That's what I was hoping for with the SS DC line. That's my goal as I customize these things. I'd like to have a Justice League that looks like the old comics or my old Superpowers figures in 1:6 scale.

That's actually one of the reasons I wasn't really into Mattel's DCUC line. Different characters, exact same body. Got repetitive to me.

Funny...that's the very reason why the line worked!

Like Coco mentioned, the uniformity of the Super Powers line is what made it iconic. I would even say the Mego lines, having Marvel and DC in the same scale, helped make it as beloved as it is today.

But I see your point.

As for the Superman, I have to agree with others. The proportions are off. Even the reference pics have odd proportions mostly due to how their bodies respond to their steroid cycle, what steroids they are taking, their workout regiment and their injection site.

There's hardly anything realistic about super hero bodies though, so if that's your rendering of it, so be it. It's a style...your style. Enjoy it. I'm sure Ed McGinnis' art was not everyone's cup of tea, still isn't, but it all has it's place.

That's actually one of the reasons I wasn't really into Mattel's DCUC line. Different characters, exact same body. Got repetitive to me.

The Marvel universe 3.75 figures as well as marvel legends were better but not consistent.

Sure, that's how competitive body builders look when they are pumped for competition (they pump weights right before going on stage), oiled up, fake tan (in some cases), dried out (they basically get rid of all the water in their body), and flexed. They do look different when relaxed, and just walking around. Even that pic of Frank... he's not just standing there, relaxed, he's actually flexing to maintain the look. It's basically considered a "casual" pose... The HT terminator bodies are designed to look like a very muscular man, but relaxed (and under clothing), which again, is why it's probably not ideal for a comic-based Superhero

A casual pose does not cause your hips to widen to the extent of HT bodies--if you want to say these figures represent older males that are not as in shape, then I agree. The SS Superman, and Batman bodies are not comic proportion either. Sideshow was clearing designing these figures to fit in HT figures. Here are some more shots of Frank.Frank_Zane.jpgFrank_Zane.jpgFrankZane.jpg

A casual pose does not cause your hips to widen to the extent of HT bodies--if you want to say these figures represent older males that are not as in shape, then I agree. The SS Superman, and Batman bodies are not comic proportion either. Sideshow was clearing designing these figures to fit in HT figures. Here are some more shots of Frank.View attachment 165904View attachment 165904View attachment 165907

he looks like the Sideshow Superman face and the tan.....

Back