1/6 SSC R2-D2 Unpainted Prototype - 2016 SDCC Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the right thing is 'buy if you like'. I've never express any severe criticism about sideshow or other company. I can't keep myself to express my opinion about this release. Ssc is free to release everything, this is obvious, but there is a limit. What can I expect for the future? An unpainted vader armour set? An obi wan cloth on 1/6 mannequin? I don't want to annoy you with an useless list. Collecting is a wonderful hobbies, a passion to say the truth, collecting 1/6 figures is a great satisfaction, there are several great companies that give us pieces of art. But we have the right to be not considered only sitting duck. You are right, I'm free to not buy it if I don't like it, but if we don't express our opinion what is this forum for? Sorry for my english.

Looks cool, but I'm going to skip. Too bad they didn't release Han in stormtrooper disguise, luke is getting lonely!

I bought it because I like it period. When I buy my R2 I'm going for the PF. That's far down on my list because while worthless there's a few cheaper ones that are ok cool like my Jakks Pacific lololol it sucks yeah I know but it'll do donkey it'll do. I have a cheap 1/6 Hasbro as well lol but from across the room it fits in with the cheap C3-PO I just bought a lot of HT FO and both are no rush.

I'm sure there's plenty figures others bought I'd never buy. Good thing we have choices or all our shelves would be the same. I see collections of some great stuff I would never buy.

Unpainted means just that, unpainted. It's not unweathered. If it was it would be cool but not as for me. I've passed on the painted R2 for 2 years and thankfully this came around. I suppose it will just be that piece that people not on here will say oh cool he's all silver. It will look cool next to my PF R2. It's like how I'll stick all my 4 voltrons around my SS Voltron next year or whatever year it's released.

I do like that Imperial version. Once it ships I'll try to get one but those other 2 R5-J2 eh maybe not so much.

Got mine today. Over all... it's nice if you like the unpainted look. I personally bought it because I felt it was a bit of a nod to the space scenes in ESB where R2 shows up as black & white. However, there were a few issues with mine, which I seem to remember being reported with the original (I do not own the original R2), that I figured were worth mentioning. It just feels flimsy, there is a burr on one of the "eyes" which really hinders the movement, and there is also a piece of plastic on the body that is warped where the two seams come together. I probably won't be returning or asking for a replacement from Sideshow since the defects are easy enough to hide, but I won't exactly recommend and tell you to bite on the "exclusive" sticker if you already have the original R2.

Attachments

• 20160721_193113.jpg
    20160721_193113.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 20160721_193220.jpg
    20160721_193220.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 211
Got mine today as well but never opened it past sliding it out of the box.

I was reading again all the posts about the fact it is worn looking for an unpainted prototype. I thought hmm why can't it be. A prototype is not any specific stage really it's just that a prototype. I have no issue with it being this way and actually prefer it over clean looking.

Just like my Gold HT ST it will be something different in my display. Maybe I'll make a shelf just for specialties like this. IDGAF how many they made really as I never plan to sell anything I buy. I passed on the painted version many times so I can buy the PF but man hearing it's a big plastic thing I can have a professional repaint the one I bought at Khols lol and save $550.

So is this the same figure as the sideshow r2 d2 deluxe minus the accessories and the paint job? Same lights etc?

Picked this guy up on a bit of a whim, thinking he might fit in well with the Shadows of the Empire vibe I have going with my Star Wars collection right now. He's not bad. Paint is pretty good - he looks nice and broken in but I think I'll try some sand weathering just to add a another tone besides black and silver. I had the same issues as awesome-o so that's definitely the mold. The burr on the projector had actually caused the piece it's mounted into to break off inside the head. Cracked him open, shaved off the glitch, re-glued and he's good to go.

The differences between the deluxe and this are: no accessories at all (tools, arms, etc); none of the head panels open; utility arms don't open; and the two tall/skinny panels open but don't have the rod attached inside to stick the interface and other arms into.

Wasn't sure at first but I like him. R2 in disguise, if you will. Here're some pics:

r21.jpg

r22.jpg

r23.jpg

r24.jpg

Looks nice, Keegan. Love your Luke custom and I see that you've enhanced Boushh too. Nice job! They do look good together!

Two questions: Do the prototype's doors open easily like they do the regular R2? Like, if you tip him forward the doors will fling open?

And two: where did you get that TARS?!? That's awesome!

Keegs, what's up with the chain and shackles you have on Boushh? can you elaborate on what you did to your boushh? and where you got the shacks? looking nice!

Nice pictures. I really do like the look of the unpainted prototype r2. It is a shame on no accessories though.

Looks nice, Keegan. Love your Luke custom and I see that you've enhanced Boushh too. Nice job! They do look good together!

Two questions: Do the prototype's doors open easily like they do the regular R2? Like, if you tip him forward the doors will fling open?

And two: where did you get that TARS?!? That's awesome!

Thank you! The doors on the prototype R2 work the same as the deluxe – open with a magnet, etc. Mine seem to stay in place fine on both versions but I’ve read that other folks have had problems so perhaps I got twice lucky. The TARS was a gift from my brother. He’s an amazing model maker and scratch built him for me. Totally at the top of the list of things to grab if the house is on fire. I posted a bunch of pics HERE.

Keegs, what's up with the chain and shackles you have on Boushh? can you elaborate on what you did to your boushh? and where you got the shacks? looking nice!

Thanks, JCFETT! Boushh is easily one of my favorite SW costume designs so I put a lot of love into the figure. It’s mostly sideshow with extra weathering. I swapped the body but can't recall which one I used at the moment. The helmet is a Tomy. The chain is just an old necklace chain and the shackles are from Prisoner Sirius Black. I used a little strip of leather to hang the thermal detonator from her belt. And the breastplate is a cool little custom piece that you can find on ebay HERE.

:duff

Thank you! The doors on the prototype R2 work the same as the deluxe – open with a magnet, etc. Mine seem to stay in place fine on both versions but I’ve read that other folks have had problems so perhaps I got twice lucky. The TARS was a gift from my brother. He’s an amazing model maker and scratch built him for me. Totally at the top of the list of things to grab if the house is on fire. I posted a bunch of pics HEREhttps://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...64253-keegans-closet-update-12-15-tars-2.html.

OH COME ON!!! IT WORKS TOO?!?! That is amazing! I LOVE it! You have a great collection, BTW.

Thanks, JCFETT! Boushh is easily one of my favorite SW costume designs so I put a lot of love into the figure. It’s mostly sideshow with extra weathering. I swapped the body but can't recall which one I used at the moment. The helmet is a Tomy. The chain is just an old necklace chain and the shackles are from Prisoner Sirius Black. I used a little strip of leather to hang the thermal detonator from her belt. And the breastplate is a cool little custom piece that you can find on ebay HERE.

:duff

Ooh! That breastplate looks great! I may have to get it too! Great job on her!

Picked this guy up on a bit of a whim, thinking he might fit in well with the Shadows of the Empire vibe I have going with my Star Wars collection right now. He's not bad. Paint is pretty good - he looks nice and broken in but I think I'll try some sand weathering just to add a another tone besides black and silver. I had the same issues as awesome-o so that's definitely the mold. The burr on the projector had actually caused the piece it's mounted into to break off inside the head. Cracked him open, shaved off the glitch, re-glued and he's good to go.

The differences between the deluxe and this are: no accessories at all (tools, arms, etc); none of the head panels open; utility arms don't open; and the two tall/skinny panels open but don't have the rod attached inside to stick the interface and other arms into.

Wasn't sure at first but I like him. R2 in disguise, if you will. Here're some pics:

View attachment 284918

View attachment 284919

View attachment 284920

View attachment 284921

Awsome pictures. When looking at the r2 deluxe and r2 unpainted side by side in person, which do you think looks better?

SS was nice enough to give me one of these at Celebration this year. Its a good sold figure. Only complaint is the top hatch dosent open.

I hedged back and forth on this figure, ordering it, then canceling it and then taking far too long to decide one way or another. Or course a coupon helped make up my mind and I have to say, it really looks great next to the original

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

Back