1/6 SSC R2-D2 Unpainted Prototype - 2016 SDCC Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In-universe explanation: the black details could be representative of different metals they used for doors, flaps and other pieces.

Real-world explanation: a figure that's just all grey/metallic is just a little bit boring. And it would clearly be a "special edition"-figure. Like this, the figure could fit with other characters. Unlike figures like the gold stormtrooper, which would stand out in a display as marketing gimmick.

Is there an explanation - in-universe or real-world - for why it's pretty heavily weathered?:lol

Is there an explanation - in-universe or real-world - for why it's pretty heavily weathered?:lol

It was made by those Rebel scum in one of their filthy factories.

Yeah, you have to create a backstory for this one:

He was built but never finished. The factory was attacked by the Empire and he had to flee the paint queue to save himself. So he's alone and lonely, a masterless droid in search of a protocol droid to befriend.

It's a sad story. We should all buy one to give them a good home. Just like those poor mites, the Jawas, with their tattered little robes and sad, glowing eyes.

b574f2eb725709460d7ec79a084ab189.jpg

The proto name makes no sense.

It does if you invent your own back story.

His final paintjob wasn't completed before TIE Bombers levelled the factory. The astromech fled through the rubble, dust and smoke, hence becoming 'weathered'. :wink1:

I don't care what they make if they can get away with it.

So long as it brings in revenue to work on new projects, and with enough left over to pay for better paintwork on them all.

With this release don't have much faith that we will see anything that will wow us from SSC at this years sdcc

I kind of like it, ended up ordering one actually. Believe it or not, I didn't order because it's an "SDCC exclusive" (which it isn't very exclusive) or a limited repaint, but rather because it looks more like the movie mistake in Empire Strikes Back where R2 shows up as colorless in space. I just find it to be neat unintentional reference.

I think it looks good. A full color version is available and many companies do variants of figures.

I've added this to my cart and left it there five times. With regular R2D2 and future R2Q5, do I really need this? No. But I still keep coming back.

I've added this to my cart and left it there five times. With regular R2D2 and future R2Q5, do I really need this? No. But I still keep coming back.

Even though the R2 they created is a bit undersized, it's still a pretty great figure and if SSC is smart, they'll pull a Hasbro and reissue this in ten different color schemes before they retire it.

While the too-small thing bugs me, I still love the SSC R2 (it got a ton of flak for aspects that aren't apparent when just viewing it on the shelf) and may grab the black R5 and a Hoth orange/clear dome variant if SSC does it. The red R2's are also pretty cool.

It really is no worse than a gold or bronze trooper... honestly probably a bit better since it kind of makes sense that an astromech might look like this prior to being decorated. But I think it would have been better if it was clean metal, versus looking so distressed.

$120 is at least a reasonable price.

It really is no worse than a gold or bronze trooper... honestly probably a bit better since it kind of makes sense that an astromech might look like this prior to being decorated. But I think it would have been better if it was clean metal, versus looking so distressed.

$120 is at least a reasonable price.

When I first saw the pictures I thought it was monochrome, in a sly nod to how R2 appeared in the films whenever he was against a bluescreen. I think I'd have actually preferred that to the silver paint, it looks pretty (quite literally) lacklustre in all the photos so far.

Only one response to this milking: hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back