SSC Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the price wasnt an april fools joke? damn

My LCS was able to get me an ex so looks like im a sucker. these will be the last dollars Sidesow ever gets from me so they better enjoy it

If only that could be true. [emoji16]

Sideshow made it clear when X-Wing Luke was announced to a (then) ridiculous price that the primary reason was the cost of the licence. As we've all observed the price of Snowspeeder Luke is another quantum jump but also way out of line with Hot Toys pricing. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with Hot Toys putting out a dozen OT figures and more than that in TFA figures within a year whilst Sideshow has given us exactly 2 new figures in that time with many arguing the second "new" figure is mostly a rehash anyway. Even if you factor in their re-releases and include 3PO (which I think's PO predated the new licencing agreement) that's still only 5 figures and one, not sure what you classify the probe droid as, verses 20+ Hot Toys releases. Perhaps Sideshow are charging more to make up for this licencing cost that Hot Toys is alleviating through sheer volume?

Sideshow made it clear when X-Wing Luke was announced to a (then) ridiculous price that the primary reason was the cost of the licence. As we've all observed the price of Snowspeeder Luke is another quantum jump but also way out of line with Hot Toys pricing. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with Hot Toys putting out a dozen OT figures and more than that in TFA figures within a year whilst Sideshow has given us exactly 2 new figures in that time with many arguing the second "new" figure is mostly a rehash anyway. Even if you factor in their re-releases and include 3PO (which I think's PO predated the new licencing agreement) that's still only 5 figures and one, not sure what you classify the probe droid as, verses 20+ Hot Toys releases. Perhaps Sideshow are charging more to make up for this licencing cost that Hot Toys is alleviating through sheer volume?

the licensing wouldnt be volume based, its determined by character and likeness, so I dont see how volume would dilute those numbers.

It might however with production volume per piece, in which case Sideshow may be charging higher numbers because they dont have the high production numbers of hot toys. Basically its a self defeating strategy as they will bleed more customers as the price goes up, but with less customers the price has to increase to justify the production... vicious cycle, if thats the case

I seriously wonder if there is anyone passionate about 1/6th scale left at Sideshow, especially the Star Wars stuff. The Horror figures sparked a little bit in them but I have been told by retailers here in the Los Angeles area that there was some sort of mass exodus at one point.

I was just messing around with my Plo Kloon, Bib Fortuna, Jabba, Greivous, Battledroids, Deluxe Vader, Bossk, IG-88, Boba and the list goes on... while dusting and these are all really great figures. Plo Koon for $59 and I got Bib for $35 are insane values and really are fun to play with. The clones are actually well done figures as well and I picked up the ones I have for around $85 each.

This is NOT just licensing expenses, nor is it the cost of doing business with China. This is a lack of love and interest in the properties and more importantly the customers. We have just become Shills or junkies to them. I was so upset when I opened my exclusive Jango after such a long delay, I questioned whether they even HAD a design department anymore when all his leg armor dropped off onto my desk. I didn't order 3PO because of it and when I saw everyone's thumbs was glad for it.

The re-releases of Fett and Probe Droid, and redo of Darth Maul are cash in attempts before Hot Toys runs away with their cash cow for good. It is irritating and disappointing. A better business model in my book would be to go back to the $150 price point and make all the extraneous characters that we love and crave for our Cantina/Jabba/Death Star/Etc. displays. I love the look of the Death Star Gunner for example and contemplate buying the Anovos helmet every time I see it but would rather have a 1/6th scale figure.

^ the quality of those prices shows though, also at that time they were on a sub license from hasbro, now that disney is in charge sideshow barely has time to spit before getting ass ****ed by the mouse

I seriously wonder if there is anyone passionate about 1/6th scale left at Sideshow, especially the Star Wars stuff. The Horror figures sparked a little bit in them but I have been told by retailers here in the Los Angeles area that there was some sort of mass exodus at one point.

I was just messing around with my Plo Kloon, Bib Fortuna, Jabba, Greivous, Battledroids, Deluxe Vader, Bossk, IG-88, Boba and the list goes on... while dusting and these are all really great figures. Plo Koon for $59 and I got Bib for $35 are insane values and really are fun to play with. The clones are actually well done figures as well and I picked up the ones I have for around $85 each.

This is NOT just licensing expenses, nor is it the cost of doing business with China. This is a lack of love and interest in the properties and more importantly the customers. We have just become Shills or junkies to them. I was so upset when I opened my exclusive Jango after such a long delay, I questioned whether they even HAD a design department anymore when all his leg armor dropped off onto my desk. I didn't order 3PO because of it and when I saw everyone's thumbs was glad for it.

The re-releases of Fett and Probe Droid, and redo of Darth Maul are cash in attempts before Hot Toys runs away with their cash cow for good. It is irritating and disappointing. A better business model in my book would be to go back to the $150 price point and make all the extraneous characters that we love and crave for our Cantina/Jabba/Death Star/Etc. displays. I love the look of the Death Star Gunner for example and contemplate buying the Anovos helmet every time I see it but would rather have a 1/6th scale figure.

Everything you say sounds like it could be very close to the truth, and I too would like to see Sideshow carve out a niche for themselves as a maker of secondary characters.

I don't think the license is the reason for these increases. Across the board you have Punisher, Beetlejuice, and Ash all priced at $240 the same as X-Wing Luke when they said the Disney licensing agreement was the reason for the increases. Personally, I think they might just be trying to push prices as high as they can, get a few sales at the super high price, then offer deals here and there for whatever stock is left over. Maybe that's what works for them. I don't know.

Sounds to me like you're priced out, man. Maybe in time you'll be able to pick these new figures up for the prices you're quoting.

I am still buying... I must be retarded but I am still buying. I realize those days are gone but it is hard to look at so many awesome figures on my shelves from not too long ago and then look at my latest purchases from the same company and go "My god, this thing is literally falling apart out of the box and I paid $240 for it."

And all the rubber hoses on my Greivous crumbled to dust by the way just to add insult to injury.

And all the rubber hoses on my Greivous crumbled to dust by the way just to add insult to injury.

Don't tell me that, I'm too afraid to look.

But hey, here's another way of looking at it: I bought almost every SS Star Wars figure (up to about the Endor guys)... and now, to me, they are mostly useless and a waste of good money, even if they did only cost $50-$80. I have a feeling these $200-$300 figures will have a much longer life on my shelves than the few years I dared display ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan.

I still think my Bank Robber Joker holds up. Can't say the same about any of the SS Star Wars figures from the same year (2008)

Doesn't it really matter "why" SS prices are what they are? Who really gives a ****?

You want to protest, or make a statement......? It's simple don't buy. That's the only message manufacturers understand and care about.

Then SS or ehomever can excuse up and down about production, license, over head...........on and on.

SS is not, has never been, nor will ever be capable at producing figures, statues, nor busts that match the price point they charge.

No disrespect to those who love the SS older figures.......it's not believable that you love them for their quality. Let's be honest you love them because they remind you of a time when SS was the only game in town making these figures, and you love the nestolgic pricing. If it is quality...............what is there to say except start going through these boards to see what a $240 figure should actually look like.

If HT made the figures you want, or came out with thier versions of those figures you'd buy in a second at thier prices.

Low prices are gone no matter the maker. The more people are willing to pay, the higher the prices will become. Collectibles have been and will always be an artificial economy where the collector dictates the price.

You want lower prices, then expect lower quality. HT, SS whoever are capable of dropping prices, but rest assured they will cut more corners to maximize profits and make up lost over priced sales. Then collectors will complain about the quality. Shortly thereafter your willing once again to pay more to get more. It never ends.

Boys you want good stuff, then sadly you pay for it. You pay to play boys, pay to play.

SS products aren't worth any threads, nor worth the debates or rationalizing.

There's no point comparing the price to figures made in the past, prices always go up on everything. You just have to look at prices of other figures announced recently and compare. Just by that you can see SSC is pricing higher than other similar figures.

I'm surprised they announced this so soon with the X-Wing version still in stock.

I like my collection enough now where I am close to saying uncle.

Hey guys, he's a collector and he thinks he has the option of saying uncle. Bwahahahahahaha ! Royyyyyyt.

There's no point comparing the price to figures made in the past, prices always go up on everything. You just have to look at prices of other figures announced recently and compare. Just by that you can see SSC is pricing higher than other similar figures.

I'm surprised they announced this so soon with the X-Wing version still in stock.

yeah, that x wing version has absolutely nothing going for it though, very plain

now that ive seen it mentioned Id really like the grapple gun and a nice base included with this, I think its the least they can do

yeah, that x wing version has absolutely nothing going for it though, very plain

now that ive seen it mentioned Id really like the grapple gun and a nice base included with this, I think its the least they can do

This thing's a year away and the fact they don't show a stand (which every release has, usually with terrain pieces) suggests it's still possible the grapple gun might be included.

I wish there was some way to "ask Sideshow" these days - maybe Sideshow Alex could answer the question. It such a weird omission and a stand with swap out Dago/Hoth terrain pieces plus the grapple gun would actually start to make the price on this seem less crazy.

I don't understand why these companies don't focus on accessories, creatures, and diorama pieces more. I feel like SS and HT treat their products like legos. Everyone wants the mini figs, but they always come with a play set no one wants but they include it to drive the price up more. Probe, Dewback, and the Tauntaun were some of the best things SS has put out there imo. Trying to compete quality to price with HT isn't a competition SS is going to win.

This thing's a year away and the fact they don't show a stand (which every release has, usually with terrain pieces) suggests it's still possible the grapple gun might be included.

I wish there was some way to "ask Sideshow" these days - maybe Sideshow Alex could answer the question. It such a weird omission and a stand with swap out Dago/Hoth terrain pieces plus the grapple gun would actually start to make the price on this seem less crazy.

Well... Darth Maul doesn't come with a stand or his cloak. How long has he been up for PO? They didn't add anything to him.

Back