SSC Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The production head looks like soft arse.
The repainted one looks like hard arse.
So the sculpt is arse regardless. :lol

This guy Stephen Maurice on Facebook repainted the head and the Guardian.

View attachment 413991

Paint finish on Jack's face seems a bit bumpy, and the five o'clock shadow might be a little too heavy, but overall that looks pretty damn good.

I wish somebody would paint an eye in the Guardian's "nose," though. There's supposed to be another eye peeking through in there.

Last edited:
Got mine, I'll throw on to the chorus of "in hand it looks decent". It really does. I tried to snap some picks and the pics don't represent the actual object in front of me at all.

Its all been said, but also toss my opinion into the pile of:
-It is overpriced for what you get. (2 heads wouldn't have been asking THAT much)
-Looks more like Jack at an angle (front on does it no favors, but I think the left side is his "good" side and it looks solid)

Overall I like it. I have never been overly impressed with the Trevor head, and this one is OK in person. I have no plans to replace the head nor repaint.
(pic taken with flash, and any pic with a flash can't be trusted, so take it for what it is worth. Just showing how I am displaying him)
20180617_182754.jpg

Just read the Michael Crawford review, and that's got to be one of the worst reviews they've ever done. I mean, calling the rubbery hands preposterous I mean, calling the rubbery hands preposterous, what? So naturally, I'd conclude that the two accessories fall right out of the hands because they're so rubbery, but that's not the case. So I'm not understanding what the problem is if they hold the accessories fine. Some people have complained about the features being too soft, the paint is lacking, the hair is too big, the head is too big, the expression is preferred..now we can add giraffe neck, pants sit way too high, five o'clock shadow is smeared on, eyebrows aren't good, irises are uneven....oh, and Plissken is actually a better sculpt/likeness despite everyone saying the exact opposite. I mean, christ..that's just too much nitpicky/irrational complaining. I mean I don't care for the "I love it, I'm blown away, it's perfect!" reviewers; but don't much care for the "This sucks, that blows, this is garbage" ones either.
And the kicker is that Michael claims that everyone who wore a denim jacket rolled the sleeves up🙄. I was a kid of the 80's and wore several denim jackets, but never rolled the sleeves up. I've never even seen someone do that except Jack Burton and Marty McFly.
I mean man! We know what to expect from Sideshow already. Yes, they aren't Hot Toys, Threezero, Blitzway, etc. And yes, they charge Hot Toys (or more) prices. But no, complaining, and especially nitpicking to this level isn't going to change the way Sideshow makes their figures; I just seriously doubt it. But the main point is that we know what we're getting from the get-go. Well this OCD perfectionist will be proud to display ol' Jack along side Beetlejuice, RoboCop, Indy, Freddy, Batman and so on. For the people that don't like it..don't buy it, or go make a better one yourself. I'm just glad that that there are a couple other people out there that, like myself, really appreciate this figure and is grateful that a company made it.

That (recast?) Trevor head looks like it belongs in that Genesis video: Land of Confusion. I have Jack B and he's better than the pics I've seen. For whatever reason, it will not photograph well. I totally plan to replace the sculpt and repaint the original to be displayed with the "lipstick" kiss look. Further plan to change up the clothing. I don't like him without his jacket and I don't like the jacket so...

Last edited:
Just read the Michael Crawford review, and that's got to be one of the worst reviews they've ever done. I mean, calling the rubbery hands preposterous I mean, calling the rubbery hands preposterous, what? So naturally, I'd conclude that the two accessories fall right out of the hands because they're so rubbery, but that's not the case. So I'm not understanding what the problem is if they hold the accessories fine. Some people have complained about the features being too soft, the paint is lacking, the hair is too big, the head is too big, the expression is preferred..now we can add giraffe neck, pants sit way too high, five o'clock shadow is smeared on, eyebrows aren't good, irises are uneven....oh, and Plissken is actually a better sculpt/likeness despite everyone saying the exact opposite. I mean, christ..that's just too much nitpicky/irrational complaining. I mean I don't care for the "I love it, I'm blown away, it's perfect!" reviewers; but don't much care for the "This sucks, that blows, this is garbage" ones either.
And the kicker is that Michael claims that everyone who wore a denim jacket rolled the sleeves up��. I was a kid of the 80's and wore several denim jackets, but never rolled the sleeves up. I've never even seen someone do that except Jack Burton and Marty McFly.
I mean man! We know what to expect from Sideshow already. Yes, they aren't Hot Toys, Threezero, Blitzway, etc. And yes, they charge Hot Toys (or more) prices. But no, complaining, and especially nitpicking to this level isn't going to change the way Sideshow makes their figures; I just seriously doubt it. But the main point is that we know what we're getting from the get-go. Well this OCD perfectionist will be proud to display ol' Jack along side Beetlejuice, RoboCop, Indy, Freddy, Batman and so on. For the people that don't like it..don't buy it, or go make a better one yourself. I'm just glad that that there are a couple other people out there that, like myself, really appreciate this figure and is grateful that a company made it.

Welcome to SSF. The over the top hatred certain figures get is crazy on here sometimes. Certain members are unbelievable. Their lives must be miserable always finding things to nit pick about. I am so glad that I am not a perfectionist and can accept some things that may not be perfect.

I got mine Tuesday, didn't get to open it until yesterday (haven't had a day off work in 60 something days) I gotta say I think it's incredible. Granted I'm biased, Big Trouble in Little China is my all time favorite film. Comparing this to the last few 1/6 scale figures I've gotten I think it holds its own. Before this I got the Vimal Luke Cage, Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin and Vader 2 Pack, Hot Toys Star-Lord Vol 2 and Blitzway Ghostbusters Ray, and all of those have pros and cons, this figure included. Great qc on this Burton, soft goods tailoring is fantastic, paint applications mostly good, articulation is pretty good, body proportions aren't 100% accurate but no action figure is ever 100% source accurate. I've seen a lot of awful pictures on this board that don't do this figure justice. Even my pictures don't do the figure justice. I know plenty off collectors often say this, but this looks much better in hand. At any rate, being a huge BTILC fan, I couldn't be more pleased, been a log wait, beyond the fact that I never thought something like this would even get produced. Debating on getting a 2nd one to keep boxed.

https://i.imgur.com/wpKBHsX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Qv3yMZH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TsoCcdR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vbkKxF2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IrzcTIg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6IswXhm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ux1KNgG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/z9UMBeo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kqxuZEa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LmJhic7.jpg

That (recast?) Trevor head looks like it belongs in that Genesis video: Land of Confusion. I have Jack B and he's better than the pics I've seen. For whatever reason, it will not photograph well. I totally plan to replace the sculpt and repaint the original to be displayed with the "lipstick" kiss look. Further plan to change up the clothing. I don't like him without his jacket and I don't like the jacket so...

Now that song is stuck in my head.

And the kicker is that Michael claims that everyone who wore a denim jacket rolled the sleeves up🙄. I was a kid of the 80's and wore several denim jackets, but never rolled the sleeves up. I've never even seen someone do that except Jack Burton and Marty McFly.

That's quite the rant. He's a reviewer, his job is to nitpick and critique. If you read the review in its entirety you would see that his main point was this level of quality doesn't warrant a $240 price tag.

Your point seems to be that SS is known for poor quality in the high end market so we should learn to live with it instead of expect more from them. He even mentions that his expectations were low going in and he was still disappointed.

He gave it a 2.5/4 overall. By your logic that should be the most we can expect from SS.

Opened this guy on Friday, and I’m definitely in the deflated camp. There’s thing wrong here that at $240 shouldn’t be wrong. I don’t think a repaint will totally solve it and honestly, and I can’t stress enough the price, but at $240, you shouldn’t have to. I’ll reluctantly keep him because it’s paid for and any Jack Burton is better than none, but this is without a doubt the final Sideshow figure POd sight unseen. I’d rather go to Midtown Comics, make sure the figure is at least on par with prototype and pay a slight markup than support quality drop offs at this level.

Last edited:
i just got mine in today....haven't open him yet. I'll let u guys know if hes good in hand or not.

And the kicker is that Michael claims that everyone who wore a denim jacket rolled the sleeves up��. I was a kid of the 80's and wore several denim jackets, but never rolled the sleeves up. I've never even seen someone do that except Jack Burton and Marty McFly.

I tend to be on the same page as a lot of his reviews. But he's way off the mark on this one. He's way more forgiving on figures close to the same price range like the Lord of the Rings Star Ace and Asmus Toys figures, he cuts way more slack on those. Either I seriously underestimated how much people love BTILC and they're just being extra critical and had really high hopes, or people are just being unfair. IDk, I'm really pleased with it!

I think Michael is always really fair with his criticism which is something I respect about him unlike a few of the other reviewers that are out there, who I won't mention but clearly are a bit novice and idealistic overall and/or are afraid to say anything bad about the companies who reach out to them for reviews or give them sponsorship.

I'm not saying don't give hard praise and nothing is perfect, but criticism when warrented should not be shielded. This is how people/companies get better.

True that he does tend to go a little easier on figures such as Asmus or Threezero who put out continual sub par figures (as far as 1/6 standards) than I would (at least on the rating, he always highlights the flaws in the writeup.

I agree with him on most of his reviews, (the one thing in recent memory I disagree with is the praise for the Mezco 1:12 line as I've tried to get myself to like them but I just see all the characters they have done as stumpy and overpriced, so that could be a personal taste thing)

All that to say, he is bang on the money with this one. THere's no way the figure deserves any less criticism than he gave here. If you ask me he let them off easy.

Opened this guy on Friday, and I’m definitely in the deflated camp. There’s thing wrong here that at $240 shouldn’t be wrong. I don’t think a repaint will totally solve it and honestly, and I can’t stress enough the price, but at $240, you shouldn’t have to. I’ll reluctantly keep him because it’s paid for and any Jack Burton is better than none, but this is without a doubt the final Sideshow figure POd sight unseen. I’d rather go to Midtown Comics, make sure the figure is at least on par with prototype and pay a slight markup than support quality drop offs at this level.

I think you are right to stress the price. We should not be surprised that Sideshow delivers a crappy product. I have respect for them as a distributor and a pioneer in the hobby but zero respect to them as far as it comes to making their own product. And their recent treatment of this board and them cracking down on customs is so asinine and it does so much harm to the very targeted group of this hobby that it pretty much destroyed what little respect I had left for them.

Threezero I think is one of the worst companies on the market. However one thing I can never argue back on when people combat that to me is the argument of price. it's true, they may be sub par but they come in average 100 dollars less on figures. And these are not obscure John Carpenter licenses these are mega huge AMC/HBO license.

I'll knock Asmus all day long but I have to say two things about them 1) they actively listen to their customers 2) at least recently (with the exception of their haired figures) the product was improved from the prototype.

This massive drop from prototype that Sideshow has done here in my opinion is unforgivable. Even if I would have been the first person to say I knew it was coming, the principal alone... how can this not feel like a bait and switch?

Name one hot toy that didn't show up like the prototype or better? (I know people may argue the recent Rey but it looks on point to me)

I think Michael is always really fair with his criticism which is something I respect about him unlike a few of the other reviewers that are out there, who I won't mention but clearly are a bit novice and idealistic overall and/or are afraid to say anything bad about the companies who reach out to them for reviews or give them sponsorship.

I'm not saying don't give hard praise and nothing is perfect, but criticism when warrented should not be shielded. This is how people/companies get better.

True that he does tend to go a little easier on figures such as Asmus or Threezero who put out continual sub par figures (as far as 1/6 standards) than I would (at least on the rating, he always highlights the flaws in the writeup.

I agree with him on most of his reviews, (the one thing in recent memory I disagree with is the praise for the Mezco 1:12 line as I've tried to get myself to like them but I just see all the characters they have done as stumpy and overpriced, so that could be a personal taste thing)

All that to say, he is bang on the money with this one. THere's no way the figure deserves any less criticism than he gave here. If you ask me he let them off easy.

Do you actually have the figure in your possession? The biggest flaw this figure has is the price. It's a good looking figure in hand,it's just not worth $240.So his score is right there.

The poster that ranted above is right. Some people you just can never make happy and they nitpick over the dumbest things. The custom heads are not better than this one at all either :lol

Back