SSC Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I generally like Michael Crawford's reviews. But I'm always wary of reviews when the Reviewer starts off by saying that they either don't know the character/film/comic/cartoon etc., or that they aren't a fan of the character.
Yes, figures should be considered based on their own merit ideally, but in reality, the source material has a big impact on how the figure looks/feels to someone who buys it. If someone doesn't know the source material, or doesn't like the source material, they are less likely to like the figure or cut it any slack.
I think the Blitzway Ghostbusters are a perfect example (or many other custom, super-limited figures). The love for the Ghostbuster original movies, has allowed some collectors to overlook the price, QC issues, and sculpt/paint that they might roast another figure over.
I'm not directly comparing this figure to those, I'm just saying that source material is a factor. I love BTILC, and Jack Burton, so naturally I overlook some of the flaws of this figure. Probably the same for many others...

Absolutely. I'm just thrilled to have a Burton of this quality in this scale. Is it perfect, no, most things aren't. Is it as good as the prototype, no, most figures aren't (though some do turn out better on occasion). Being both a massive fan of Ghostbusters and BTILC, you are spot on about how much the source material factors into this. For how expensive this hobby is, I really only collect figures from source material I love, so I'll most likely always be slightly biased and forgiving towards figures I collect. Plus, I get how this works. Spending a bunch of time, energy and special treatment on a prototype to sell a figure, how could mass production match that quality? If one spends a little time futzing with the figure, you can get this to look pretty great. I've gotten decent amount of Sideshow figures over the last 10 years, granted the price point has gone up so has their skill/quality. This is the nicest SSC figure I have (though my veteran Clone Trooper is pretty nice, SSC does well with troopers).

Also anyone who actually understands the intracies of the hobby will understand what it mean to recognize sideshow as a distributor.

The Asian, British or other non American companies would have a lot harder a time moving product if they did not have a strong North American retail distributor to work with. In the way diamond distributors do , they monopolize the market as the sole distributor. Every brick and mortor or online retailer in NA needs to deal with sideshow at the wholesale level.

Their behavior lately has baffled me. I remember when they first started shipping medicom r2 and 3po. They said they would not make their own In an effort to not cannibalize their and medicom’s profit for the medicom versions.

Fast forward until now, where they are releasing their own crappy Jedi luke to compete with the hot toy.

Ehhh....For the longest time, they were the only ones doing 12 inch Star Wars figures. They filled a void. Then along came Hot Toys, who did 1/6 at a whole other level, but SS was nowhere near them in price. SS is trying to up their game, and that is why the prices have jumped. They are trying to be on par with HT (and XM on 1/4) and so there has been a giant leap. All I know is the difference between a SS Snake Plissken and Ash are night and day. That still doesn't mean this figure is worth the asking price, but that is a separate argument. I have read people wrongly claim this was no better than a Kenner figure in this thread. All hyperbole.

You also mention their behavior, and referencing your earlier post, seem upset at the crackdown on customs. Of course they are contractually obligated to do so, and to defend their IP. I have heard the same argument lobbied against them by those that wish they would give up their 1/4 business so XM or Prime 1 could take over. LOL. So the answer I guess, is they should just go out of business to make collectors happy. That way, niche products like this would never get made. Makes alot of sense to me.

And I generally like Michael Crawford's reviews. But I'm always wary of reviews when the Reviewer starts off by saying that they either don't know the character/film/comic/cartoon etc., or that they aren't a fan of the character.
Yes, figures should be considered based on their own merit ideally, but in reality, the source material has a big impact on how the figure looks/feels to someone who buys it. If someone doesn't know the source material, or doesn't like the source material, they are less likely to like the figure or cut it any slack.
I think the Blitzway Ghostbusters are a perfect example (or many other custom, super-limited figures). The love for the Ghostbuster original movies, has allowed some collectors to overlook the price, QC issues, and sculpt/paint that they might roast another figure over.
I'm not directly comparing this figure to those, I'm just saying that source material is a factor. I love BTILC, and Jack Burton, so naturally I overlook some of the flaws of this figure. Probably the same for many others...
I found this part condescending: "But this was one of those goofy, silly 80's movies that appealed to kids of that decade...and not so much to us adults who were hoping for something more Escape from New York and less Escape from Witch Mountain."
My father, not a child during the '80s, absolutely loved this movie and it's sibling The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. If Crawford wanted another Escape from New York and was disappointed that this wasn't it, that's on him. Its not a kid thing or an adult thing, it's kind of a blockhead thing. The old trailer for BTILC sure didn't maje it look like EFNY.

Ya'll will be holding onto your butts when Sideshow announces the 3 Elements at SDCC

I think you'll be holding onto your butts a long time before that happens :lol So far they are one and done with the Cult Classics... and if they were to do it I think Evil Ash would have been a no-brainer since they could reuse 80% of the figure.

Isn't Deckard from Blade Runner supposed to be the next figure in this line by SSC? First Snake, then what, Beetlejuice? Then Ash, Freddy, and I think Deckard is next. If we Got Thunder, Lightening and Rain from BTILC I'd be pretty freakin' shocked. I'd settle for a Lo Pan in wedding garb or little old basket case on wheels, either or. I'd splurge and spend $1,500 to 2k on a 1/6 scale Pork Chop Express...

Sadly no... the figure they showed at SDCC was just a one-off. They do not have the license for it, it's always possible they could have acquired a license since then but I don't believe they've said anything else about it.

Sadly no... the figure they showed at SDCC was just a one-off. They do not have the license for it, it's always possible they could have acquired a license since then but I don't believe they've said anything else about it.

Dang, I really wanted that Deckard. Wonder if this is the end of that line for SSC then, or if they have other figures coming down the pipeline for this? I mean there are tons of great cult classics, hope they keep going with the line. No one else is going to make figures from films like this.

What I was told at Comic Con last year was that they were showing the figure off for two main reasons: 1) to show the licensor what they could do with a Deckard figure, and 2) to show the licensor that fans/collectors would respond enthusiastically to the figure.
So, I would hope that they did get the license since then, and that Deckard will be shown again at Comic Con this year, but I kinda have my doubts.

I think you'll be holding onto your butts a long time before that happens :lol So far they are one and done with the Cult Classics... and if they were to do it I think Evil Ash would have been a no-brainer since they could reuse 80% of the figure.

Army of Darkness is making a toy return with NECA and Super 7. I wonder if Sideshow has a 1/6 Army of Darkness Ash on the way with elongated face head exclusive

Army of Darkness is making a toy return with NECA and Super 7. I wonder if Sideshow has a 1/6 Army of Darkness Ash on the way with elongated face head exclusive

I've gotten and been mostly please with ALL of the NECA ED stuff (where the hell is the Ash and Evil Ed 2 pack??) but have always been a bigger fan of Army of Darkness. This is news to me, and great news. I'll get every figure they put out.

What I was told at Comic Con last year was that they were showing the figure off for two main reasons: 1) to show the licensor what they could do with a Deckard figure, and 2) to show the licensor that fans/collectors would respond enthusiastically to the figure.
So, I would hope that they did get the license since then, and that Deckard will be shown again at Comic Con this year, but I kinda have my doubts.

Yeah, but as far as I know that never translated into anything... I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see a licensed Deckard. But I'd also be okay if a different company did it as I'm not feeling super confident about Sideshow these days.

That'd be interesting... I'd love to see them revisit the AOD line. But I suspect they will take the win on the EDII Ash and move on to other properties. They don't seem to be the same company that released 10+ from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I've gotten and been mostly please with ALL of the NECA ED stuff (where the hell is the Ash and Evil Ed 2 pack??) but have always been a bigger fan of Army of Darkness. This is news to me, and great news. I'll get every figure they put out.

expect to see something at SDCC. Rumored NECA Ultimate AOD Ash and few others (could see retro 8" version too). Super 7 has the AOD Reaction line which should be a nice set of figures too.

The Ash/ED set is supposed to be out soon. Guessing August now

FYI - Sideshow unboxed this on their live show today. I'm still not in love with the head sculpt, but the figure did look pretty good to me overall. Still on the fence, though.

FYI - Sideshow unboxed this on their live show today. I'm still not in love with the head sculpt, but the figure did look pretty good to me overall. Still on the fence, though.
If you have a bunch of points or a promo code (are those still a thing?) you feel like using or there's a sale or something, go for it. It's a fine figure, but in no way is it worth $240.

You could also try to win the one they're "giving away," and it'll only cost you the price of shipping.

Freshly completed repaint. I still don't like the front profile, but the sculpt is wayyyyyyyyyy better than it's given credit for.
d3cdc37bdbaedd10cc785b7f0527ac5f.jpg
8b717258fe8e41d03fdae5ad3ef614f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back