SSC Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine today and absolutely love it. It looks very much in hand like the photos from " I Am Toys". If I have one issue, his pants are hemmed a bit tight so it's tough to get him in a number of poses with his legs. But all in all I am completely pleased with this.

Nice man, glad you got yours. I know people are extra harsh on SSC, their Snake Plissken from a few years back got hella hate but I love it, Ash from Evil Dead 2 was even better, and now Jack Burton, I think this is their best piece. I've got my 1/6 figures displayed on a shelf in my walk in closet and I constantly find myself walking in just to stare at Jack. I think a lot of people were turned off by early horribly lit pictures, but I've seen a lot of good pics that make this look as good as the promo. Just one of those figures that looks much better in hand than in pics.

Nice man, glad you got yours. I know people are extra harsh on SSC, their Snake Plissken from a few years back got hella hate but I love it, Ash from Evil Dead 2 was even better, and now Jack Burton, I think this is their best piece. I've got my 1/6 figures displayed on a shelf in my walk in closet and I constantly find myself walking in just to stare at Jack. I think a lot of people were turned off by early horribly lit pictures, but I've seen a lot of good pics that make this look as good as the promo. Just one of those figures that looks much better in hand than in pics.

Thanks! Oh most definitely. It took some serious effort to make this figure look that bad in some of those pics. But in hand he is awesome. I put him in my book case next to my Snake figure. If they can make MacReady, I'll I have the three figure set I always dreamed about. In the mean time, I'm quite happy with these. I'm like you. I keep looking at Jack (and Snake) and just pinch myself. I have something I never thought I would possess and that is something you can't place a value on. Well worth it to me. Watching the movie as I type this.

29e10a7c-d2e6-40cf-b450-e1b2252128f6-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is my most wanted, currently available, figure at the moment. Need to sell something to be able to pick it up though. Who's for the chop!

well guys... oh god.. honestly, i have seen varying qualities of this figure, so i thought, i could just go ahead and get him, (being such a fan of the movie), and if he needs a bit of a paint up here and there, i could do that... i was not expecting in hand, to see what i got. this has got to be the most badly made and painted figure i have ever bought. even so, i am going to repaint and try to save him... But... the nightmare stories are true and i hope one day that sideshow or hot toys will do some justice to this guy.

https://imgur.com/a/0TPYwbJ

Ok, I have done my best to repaint and fix this figure... this is the progress so far... https://www.instagram.com/p/BpLJ9sQlLcM/?taken-by=mikeyofthe80s
I boiled his head, removed teeth & re shaped his mouth, while plastic was still soft. Then fully repainted his head.. it is still far off what it should have been.. but better than before. Even if you are not the best painter.. just give him some eyebrows. It’ll make him lots better. https://www.instagram.com/p/BpLJ9sQlLcM/?taken-by=mikeyofthe80s

Ok, I have done my best to repaint and fix this figure... this is the progress so far... https://www.instagram.com/p/BpLJ9sQlLcM/?taken-by=mikeyofthe80s
I boiled his head, removed teeth & re shaped his mouth, while plastic was still soft. Then fully repainted his head.. it is still far off what it should have been.. but better than before. Even if you are not the best painter.. just give him some eyebrows. It’ll make him lots better. https://www.instagram.com/p/BpLJ9sQlLcM/?taken-by=mikeyofthe80s

Wow great job! How did you widen the mouth area? Just boiling water to it? Looks like you totally resculpted that part. Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aww, cheers! Thank you! first i gave it a quick wash with soap to get off any residue, then i dropped the head in a cup of boiled water for about 40 seconds. then the mouth plate from inside his head came out really easy!.. after i pulled it out, the head was soft enough to mess about with... thankfully it is plastic, and not a solid resin head.. i tried to raise his upper left lip a bit, in that kind of 'elvis like' pose he does, as best i could get it with a stick, and held it there & put the head under a freezing tap to shock it hard again..
i then used very thinned out paint to alter his lip colour and shape, and changed the placement of his teeth before gluing them back in.. ultimately, its all in the eyes i think. once i gave him some actual eyebrows, better pupils and then swished a bit of a flesh coloured wash into the wrinkles, kurt's look started to come out of it a bit more..
its such a shame so much has to be done to make something so expensive look ok.. mine in particular looked almost bootleg painted out of the box before i gave him a paint up. having lots of pics to reference really helps, and also.. i pulled the vest down at the front and used some sticky back tape to keep it down and open up his neck area a bit to balance him out.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpLJ9sQlLcM/?taken-by=mikeyofthe80s

Wow great job! How did you widen the mouth area? Just boiling water to it? Looks like you totally resculpted that part. Looks great

aww, cheers! Thank you! first i gave it a quick wash with soap to get off any residue, then i dropped the head in a cup of boiled water for about 40 seconds. then the mouth plate from inside his head came out really easy!.. after i pulled it out, the head was soft enough to mess about with... thankfully it is plastic, and not a solid resin head.. i tried to raise his upper left lip a bit, in that kind of 'elvis like' pose he does, as best i could get it with a stick, and held it there & put the head under a freezing tap to shock it hard again..
i then used very thinned out paint to alter his lip colour and shape, and changed the placement of his teeth before gluing them back in.. ultimately, its all in the eyes i think. once i gave him some actual eyebrows, better pupils and then swished a bit of a flesh coloured wash into the wrinkles, kurt's look started to come out of it a bit more..
its such a shame so much has to be done to make something so expensive look ok.. mine in particular looked almost bootleg painted out of the box before i gave him a paint up. having lots of pics to reference really helps, and also.. i pulled the vest down at the front and used some sticky back tape to keep it down and open up his neck area a bit to balance him out.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpLJ9sQlLcM/?taken-by=mikeyofthe80s

That’s really awesome. To me the more chiseled cheek bones and jaw line really brings out Kurt’s features a lot more as opposed to the soft narrow out of the box look of his head. It looks more like the proto as the final product came out narrowed and smashed. I hate it when the production casts from the proto narrows the head. My biggest pet peave in this hobby. Again, great job!

So, here's the thing...I love Jack Burton, and I don't regret buying this piece, and i am not going to be able to add anything new or mind-blowing to the headsculpt discussion. I was looking into picking up a tbleague seamless flex body for him. While i love the Cut n Sew on this, the iconic Jack look is just the tank top. With that jacket off, it looks COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. I just don't know if the Phicen body would work with the head both looks wise and mechanically with whatever they are using to secure the head to the neck here. anyone have any experience with this? is this a terrible idea? i would essentially be spending like $300 in the end for a figure that should have been less than $200 in the first place.

So, here's the thing...I love Jack Burton, and I don't regret buying this piece, and i am not going to be able to add anything new or mind-blowing to the headsculpt discussion. I was looking into picking up a tbleague seamless flex body for him. While i love the Cut n Sew on this, the iconic Jack look is just the tank top. With that jacket off, it looks COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. I just don't know if the Phicen body would work with the head both looks wise and mechanically with whatever they are using to secure the head to the neck here. anyone have any experience with this? is this a terrible idea? i would essentially be spending like $300 in the end for a figure that should have been less than $200 in the first place.

None of the Phicen bodies are the right frame for Kurt. I replaced the body on mine with a Coomodel seamless torso body and it’s fairly close to his physique

fb8da8209e8dca96f778740fc64b0eef.jpg

Unfortunately Kurt was never that jacked or vascular in the movie. For me, as Jack Burton was a trucker, and somewhat of a slob, none of the seamless bodies look right. They're all too athletic in my opinion...

Found this in the Official Art of Big Trouble in Little China book by Tara Bennett and Paul Terry. It's in the collectibles section of the book detailing the "upcoming" Jack Burton figure by Sideshow.

DSCN2269 (2).jpg
DSCN2270 (2).jpg
DSCN2271 (2).jpg
DSCN2272 (2).jpg

Too bad the figure didn't come with the white sweater/pullover. That's the look that I would have preferred.

Found this in the Official Art of Big Trouble in Little China book by Tara Bennett and Paul Terry. It's in the collectibles section of the book detailing the "upcoming" Jack Burton figure by Sideshow.

View attachment 433878
View attachment 433879
View attachment 433880
View attachment 433881

Too bad the figure didn't come with the white sweater/pullover. That's the look that I would have preferred.

That is a great book, that and the Art of are both really solid. Tara Bennett and Paul Terry both commented on my review of the book, they're really awesome.
I too was bummed this figure didn't end up coming with the Baja sweater, but he really only wears it at SFO, had they included an alternate head sculpt with his ray bans and Harley Davidson hat that would have been great. Still wanna find the right trench coat and saddlebag to add to mine. Really wish they'd done a special 2 pack with Jack as nerdy old Henry Swanson... would have been killer!

Finally picked up Jack for £169.99. Had a quick check over the figure to make sure he is all okay (I'm keeping him for christmas), and he looked really good.

I'm pleased with it! I'm not generally a sideshow-basher and have got quite a few of their figures in with my hot toys. Jack will be standing with my temple of doom indy and my (admittedly modified) Nathan drake. Well......I didn't say there wasn't room for improvement

Back