SSC Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Sideshow's in-house sample figure "showing the head sculpt pretty closely":

KNrNjAMQ9OGUbG9Lxnws38dra

LateEntireCur-max-1mb.gif

Well I had a quick look and I like it. I like it quite a bit. Yeah not as good as the prototype but not the disaster many here feared.

41aeb00dd0a3d21b92190be079840be7.jpg

1b30847175306127c2c768d09ac5b8dd.jpg

eaded058f7a1b0317cbe6b13e5ca5633.jpg

Well I had a quick look and I like it. I like it quite a bit. Yeah not as good as the prototype but not the disaster many here feared.

41aeb00dd0a3d21b92190be079840be7.jpg

1b30847175306127c2c768d09ac5b8dd.jpg

eaded058f7a1b0317cbe6b13e5ca5633.jpg

Looks like the head just needs a little heat and a stretch.
I also plant to extend the torso a bit. Looks a little truncated.
Bring on the Burton!

SS said they stand by their view that he came out great, but understand that art is subjective...

of course they going to stand by their products...no matter how bad it is.

Looks like the head just needs a little heat and a stretch.
I also plant to extend the torso a bit. Looks a little truncated.
Bring on the Burton!
Yeah, I suspect you could improve the sculpt this way. The detail lost is not something you can get back, but reshaping the sculpt and giving this a better paint job could improve it significantly. . .not that most collectors have the wherewithal or motivation to do all that.

SS said they stand by their view that he came out great, but understand that art is subjective...
I once got a Hot Toys figure with a stain on his pants, and they told me that each piece was hand-crafted, and so you would expect variation from figure to figure. . .no return was allowed. Essentially the same thing with the Amazing Spider-Man's darkened head due to the tape/glue used to hold the mask in place.

Love the username and avatar, by the way :rock

I'd have no issue of this was a knock off or unlicensed figure...would be happy to pay 120 dollars.

Thanks for posting these, Eamon, I feel much better. It's not ideal, not as good as the proto, but much better than initial pics suggested (which is typical in 1/6 I guess). For the love of the character and film, and the price I ended up paying, I think I'll be relatively happy...

Love the username and avatar, by the way :rock

:hi5:

i think im going to cancel mine order. Will i get a full refund?

Yes, you should do. I was offered all options.

You can either email Sideshow direct and explain the situation, or as I did use the "Email Us" link on their website contact - which gives you the option to select "Cancel Order" and add a message explaining that the final product is so far from that advertised that you ought to receive a full refund.

Thanks for posting these, Eamon, I feel much better. It's not ideal, not as good as the proto, but much better than initial pics suggested (which is typical in 1/6 I guess). For the love of the character and film, and the price I ended up paying, I think I'll be relatively happy...

yeah, I feel much better too when I opened it as I was honestly preparing to return it. It's not great but it's not the disaster folks make it out to be. It coveys the movie and Russel well enough. I might seek to getting it repainted at some stage if I can.

For a real disastrous, shamefully and utterly frustrating figure, look no further than that Furiosa just out. Man, they screwed up in a big way.

I contacted Sideshow and this is what they told me...

"photos that have been circulating which look very different than the one we have in house. The one we have in house looks almost identical to the prototype."

They also said they will be putting up new updated photos soon.

Seems like the head is a bit pinched in around the jawline and maybe sitting a bit high on the neck? I wonder if doing a dip in hot water to reshape it a bit would help out? Sideshow had a number of figures where the jawlines were all distorted a few years back and it was thankfully an easy fix.

Paint is pretty washed out, but honestly not terrible... probably on par with the X-Wing Luke, but not with their better work like Ash.

yeah, I feel much better too when I opened it as I was honestly preparing to return it. It's not great but it's not the disaster folks make it out to be. It coveys the movie and Russel well enough. I might seek to getting it repainted at some stage if I can.

For a real disastrous, shamefully and utterly frustrating figure, look no further than that Furiosa just out. Man, they screwed up in a big way.

And for a lot of reasons (some justified, some not), some collectors seem to give a pass to other companies but then stomp on Sideshow. Like you say, Furiosa looks terrible, and quite frankly, I didn't think the Blitzway Ghostbusters were much better than this. To my eyes, all the headsculpts look a little fat/wide (except Winston), and the paint isn't at Hot Toys level either. I guess depending on how much you like/want the character on your shelves, will impact on how hard to nitpick.

So much complaining, but all you weak ass boys will end up buying the ******* thing, secretly, just like the Beetlejuice disaster. This ugly thing will sell out too. Bye. :wave

And for a lot of reasons (some justified, some not), some collectors seem to give a pass to other companies but then stomp on Sideshow. Like you say, Furiosa looks terrible, and quite frankly, I didn't think the Blitzway Ghostbusters were much better than this. To my eyes, all the headsculpts look a little fat/wide (except Winston), and the paint isn't at Hot Toys level either. I guess depending on how much you like/want the character on your shelves, will impact on how hard to nitpick.

I would gave to disagree about Ghostbusters, I think they are just a little behind Hot Toys where as I think SS are quite far behind Hot Toys. But each to their own. :)

Another pic, this time without the flash which can sometimes distort what the fig looks like in person.

kJSQoqy.jpg

Tbh I'm pretty happy with how he looks not perfect but not bad.

I think it's an ok sculpt at best. The production paint is no worse than on their Snake, but in this case it killed the sculpt completely. Only professional paint work can bring it to life, which is a personal project and will costs half the price of the figure itself. That is unexceptable.

said they stand by their view that he came out great, but understand that art is subjective...
Art is indeed subjective.
But a licensed mass produced action figure of a movie character is in no way or shape art.
So either Sideshow are dumb as a rock... or they're tryin' really hard to sell it.
It's the latter, of course.

I contacted Sideshow and this is what they told me...

"photos that have been circulating which look very different than the one we have in house.
The one we have in house looks almost identical to the prototype.
"
Again, there's no reason to ask them anything other than for a refund.
It's their product, they have to make you buy it somehow.

Back