1/6 SSC Gambit Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really love for SS to make a Comic Book Rogue. Would go very nicely with this Gambit. Oh Jubilee would be great too. Both especially with TbLeague female bodies.

I would really love for SS to make a Comic Book Rogue. Would go very nicely with this Gambit. Oh Jubilee would be great too. Both especially with TbLeague female bodies.

101277285_985694621848723_1546492125560963072_n.jpg

Here is the bottom line fellas, if Sideshow wants to charge Hot Toys prices, they need to produce Hot Toys quality. As simple as that. I have bought several Sideshow figures before and while some of them are good, they are not close to Hot Toys quality. That cyclops figure looks awful without the jacket on given the body underneath. Magneto was the only figure I bought that I felt was truly competitive.

Yep, like look at their Skiff Guard Lando, Hot Toys Prices and nowhere close to Hot Toys quality on the head sculpt and paint apps.

That trench coat is so well done compared to the plain outfits we've seen in the line so far. Great stitching and fit, plus they even added a paisley pattern on the inside. Best-looking of the bunch so far.

I'd like to see their take on Rogue. Cable also seems like a possibility, but I wouldn't want them to simplify his design.

That trench coat is so well done compared to the plain outfits we've seen in the line so far. Great stitching and fit, plus they even added a paisley pattern on the inside. Best-looking of the bunch so far.

I'd like to see their take on Rogue. Cable also seems like a possibility, but I wouldn't want them to simplify his design.

The coat looks great. Honestly, I care about Gambit least of all X-Men, but that coat might be something I look into for some sort of custom because it looks super cool.

Here is the bottom line fellas, if Sideshow wants to charge Hot Toys prices, they need to produce Hot Toys quality. As simple as that.

Wrong. I've said this many times, and I'll keep saying it. It is unrealistic to expect American or UK companies to produce figures at the same price point as Asian companies. It's unrealistic, and quite frankly, a little ridiculous.
I haven't been to China recently, but as an example, I visited India a couple of years ago and was shocked to see how many brand new cars could be purchased for less than $3000 USD. You would never see a US manufactured car even close to that price. That is an extreme example, but the direction is consistent that Asian companies can produce products at vastly lower costs that US ones.
If anything, I think Hot Toys should be lowering their prices, considering some of the products that have been coming from smaller, Asian companies (ie. ThreeZero Rambo).

I do agree that many times Sideshow quality is simply not good, but comparing on price is pointless. As seen in that recent pic of Rogue, some collectors can kitbash/custom create awesome pieces themselves. It's really about whether or not you want the character on your shelf.

Wrong. I've said this many times, and I'll keep saying it. It is unrealistic to expect American or UK companies to produce figures at the same price point as Asian companies. It's unrealistic, and quite frankly, a little ridiculous.
I haven't been to China recently, but as an example, I visited India a couple of years ago and was shocked to see how many brand new cars could be purchased for less than $3000 USD. You would never see a US manufactured car even close to that price. That is an extreme example, but the direction is consistent that Asian companies can produce products at vastly lower costs that US ones.
If anything, I think Hot Toys should be lowering their prices, considering some of the products that have been coming from smaller, Asian companies (ie. ThreeZero Rambo).

I do agree that many times Sideshow quality is simply not good, but comparing on price is pointless. As seen in that recent pic of Rogue, some collectors can kitbash/custom create awesome pieces themselves. It's really about whether or not you want the character on your shelf.

Comparing on price isn't pointless. Why would I buy Sideshows Lando figure when Hot Toys Lando is $10 cheaper and significantly higher quality. Why would I buy Sideshows Darth Maul when Hot Toys version is superior, and although slightly more expensive comes with two headsculpts and way more accessories.

Maybe Sideshow should consider outsourcing to Asia instead then. I don't really care about their profit margins or logistics, I care about recieving a quality product for my money. And when they are charging the same as the top dog (Hot Toys) for signficantly lower quality, that's an issue for me.

Comparing on price isn't pointless. Why would I buy Sideshows Lando figure when Hot Toys Lando is $10 cheaper and significantly higher quality. Why would I buy Sideshows Darth Maul when Hot Toys version is superior, and although slightly more expensive comes with two headsculpts and way more accessories.

Maybe Sideshow should consider outsourcing to Asia instead then. I don't really care about their profit margins or logistics, I care about recieving a quality product for my money. And when they are charging the same as the top dog (Hot Toys) for signficantly lower quality, that's an issue for me.

Sideshow does outsource to Asia. The factories that produce Sideshow products are all in Asia. Still costs more, as the pricing is likely different (no one outside of Sideshow would know the pricing for outsourcing the factories), and obviously costs of US employees, overhead, infrastructure, etc. in the US is higher than in Asia.

Believe it or not, but companies have to consider profit margins or logistics to remain viable companies, otherwise they go out of business.

No one says you should buy Sideshow products if you think they are too expensive. No one is debating whether the Sideshow or Hot Toys Maul is better. But it really is no different than suggesting that a T-shirt made in the USA should cost the same as a T-shirt made in China (at the same quality). So ya, it is a silly expectation. It's the same reason why Big Chief Studio figures are so expensive. They are a UK company which has to outsource to Asia for manufacturing, but pay UK costs for employees, etc..

If you think the figure is too expensive for what you get, then don't buy it --- I think we all feel that way.

Not picking on you or anything, I just get frustrated whenever I see that complaint. It's the same as people saying, "I paid $350 for this figure, it should be PERFECT." You can buy a $100,000 Mercedes, and it's not perfect. It's just part of buying something mass-produced...

Personally, I think ALL 1/6 figures are too expensive these days (with the exception of a few outliers like ThreeZero Rambo). I'd love it for prices to come back down to high-$100s for most, and over $200 for DX-style packages.

It will be interesting to see what the females sell for because their court of the dead gals they have tbleague manufacturing for them are much cheaper than figures produced solely by Sideshow.

It will be interesting to see what the females sell for because their court of the dead gals they have tbleague manufacturing for them are much cheaper than figures produced solely by Sideshow.

If Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn are anything to go by, the X-females will be around the $250 price point as well. I think the reason the COTD figures are cheaper is due to the fact (if I?m not mistaken) that they are an in-house Sideshow created characters, so they don?t have the added licensing cost that figures from DC/Marvel/SW/etc have on top of their own costs.

I will pre-order it, but I hope there's a place to send feedback on Gambit here, his hair is kinda looking like the judge from Roger Rabbit, and his ears stick out too much.

The face sculpt is pretty much perfect, I wish they used the heads they used on the premium comic statue though.

Here is the bottom line fellas, if Sideshow wants to charge Hot Toys prices, they need to produce Hot Toys quality. As simple as that. I have bought several Sideshow figures before and while some of them are good, they are not close to Hot Toys quality. That cyclops figure looks awful without the jacket on given the body underneath. Magneto was the only figure I bought that I felt was truly competitive.

How was the Magneto compared to their older releases? I Had their Nathan Drake, and some of their older G.I.Joes and Star Wars, and while the sculpt was nice the clothing was cheap feeling and the body was less than adequate. I haven't bought a modern figure from them in a long time.

How was the Magneto compared to their older releases? I Had their Nathan Drake, and some of their older G.I.Joes and Star Wars, and while the sculpt was nice the clothing was cheap feeling and the body was less than adequate. I haven't bought a modern figure from them in a long time.

To be honest, Magnet is my favorite X-Men so I bought him, but there is no way he is worth what they charge retail. Once again, since they are charging Hot Toys pricing I am comparing to Hot Toys quality. The body is awful in relative terms - single jointed elbows and knees, some joints incredibly stiff while others flaccid like overcooked noodles. Messed up proportions (see their cyclops figure without the jacket) Weird decisions to skimp on quality like the stand. I won't judge too harshly on the clothing and costume since it is based on a comic book design, but if I imagined a Hot Toys take on the same character, I would be confident Hot Toys would make it look much better.

lol i love how confident you are yet how ridiculous your statement is. i am not arguing that it may be more expensive for sideshow to manufacture. i dont even know where sideshow does. my argument is that regardless of how much it costs them, the 1/6 market dictates that it is not ideal for them to charge premium pricing for materially lesser quality than the dominant player in the market place. a freshmen in high school who took basic macroeconomics would know this. companies do not get away, in any market, charging the same for lesser quality.

I don't have any of the pieces you mentioned, but I do have Sideshow's old Batman "Gotham Knight release, and I think the difference between that and the newer items is night and day.

Costume: while the bodysuit on the old Batman figure is fine, the cape was a mixed bag and the trunks were basically diapers. Sideshow has switched to cloth capes and the tailoring on said capes is also a significant improvement. Likewise, the trunks on Magneto and other recent figure are nice and form fitting cloth pieces, not ugly pleather diapers.

Body: Sideshow has been using the same torso on recent figures and switching put the arms depending on whether the character should have muscular or slim arms. Magneto got the muscular ones. On the whole. I think this body is a huge improvement over the old Batman body that I have, as the musculature looks really good and natural under the suit. However, there is no bicep swivel and only a single bend elbow in the muscular version of the arms, and that sucks. Some feel the chest on the body isnot big enough, but I think its fine. Loose legs is still a problem, sadly.

Head/paint: Magneto is probably the best looking Sideshow figure I own, in this respect. The paint work is simplistic, but effective. Don't expect Hot Toys quality, though, because you just won't get it.

General quality: You're still going to see some occasional misses, but Sideshow is pretty reasonable about replacing items with issues. Having recently bought Batman, Flash, Magneto, Wonder Woman, and Superman, only Superman had a quality issue (a dent in the belt that unfortunately it seems like all of them had at varying degrees of severity). They sent me a replacement body, which had a better belt but some other minor issue on the body, so I'm doing to pry off the belts and swap them. All good as far as I'm concerned, but there is definitely a non-zero chance of QA issues.

What you see in the promo pics is pretty much what you get. If the limited arm articulation isn't a deal breaker for you, anyway.

A couple of pictures of mine:
7ad255584927ce3efa79937992062510.jpg
fb3b0b3ab5ef188bb1fdaa5b3e7728ab.jpg
2de11b9b2e247e026c3f7d7bdee516e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Back