SSC Duke 12 inch figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just trying to makes sense of "your idea" of what MIB is...

I will go through my interpretations of some of the discriptions and I'll include the item in the box (the figure). I am not going to address the mailer because as long as it protects the product box, I don't care about it's condition.

MIB means "Mint In Box" it refers to the item in the package being unaltered from it's intended factory condition. "Mint in box" says nothing about the condition of the package.

MIMB means Mint In Mint Box. This means that the object in the package and the package are both unaltered from their intended factory condition.

MISB means Mint In Sealed Box. The figure is assumed to be in it's factory intended condition in a box that has never been opened. It does not matter what "sealing" mechanism is used. Tape, a tab, or whatever. And this discription also does not address the condition of the box. You can have a box that is scratched, scuffed, scraped, torn, and crushed from storage, and if that damage has not affected the condition of the item inside, then the item inside can still be referred to as mint, but the box can't be.

And to me, the term "new" is just used as a synonym for "mint".

If a person removes the item from the package. It is no longer in it's factory condition. It becomes "like new" or "near mint".

So if you have a NIB/MIB Figure and a Sideshow sealed cardboard Mailer MIB figure...whats the difference? they are both NEW!

Yeah...what is your point?

should the same two figures (both new) get more $$$ than the other? NO! New is New...:lol

That is subjective to the individual collector. Only the individual collector has the right to decide for himself what the value of an item is to them.

If collector "A" is great with paying "X" amount for a lose figure that has been displayed, but collector "B" would only pay the same "X" amount for that figure if it came in a sealed box that was at least near mint, and collector "C" wanted a perfect, sealed mailer box as well for the same price. That is their priveledge. If a seller and buyer do not agree on the criteria, they simply don't deal together.

Collector friendly boxes are just in another category when it comes to Mint.Never removed from box = Mint = same value

"Collector Friendly" is a discription of design. Not a description of condition. But, the way Sideshow has designed their boxes does allow for the value of a figure that has been replaced into the box to retain more of it's value...to me.

Now you're pulling a teemu. If the box doesn't come taped and you apply tape to it, it's no longer mint. Wouldn't you agree?

Where did this come from? I am not sure what point you are making. Of course it is the case that if you alter the product box from it's factory condition, it is no longer mint. That includes adding tape. price stickers, autographs et al. The same is true for opening the box. Some alterations such as autographs will actually increase the value of an item to some people. But it still alters the original factory condition.

MISB means Mint In Sealed Box. The figure is assumed to be in it's factory intended condition in a box that has never been opened. It does not matter what "sealing" mechanism is used. Tape, a tab, or whatever. And this discription also does not address the condition of the box. You can have a box that is scratched, scuffed, scraped, torn, and crushed from storage, and if that damage has not affected the condition of the item inside, then the item inside can still be referred to as mint, but the box can't be.

This definition is obsolete. Again I ask, what assurances would you have that the item inside is actually in mint condition, if you've never opened the box to investigate? You can't, so it's essentially a total misrepresentation if the item inside is damaged and/or incomplete. This is why NIB and NISB have been adopted and are currently in use in it's place.

Ask him how he knows the figure is in mint condition if he's never opened the box. Let's see what he says. :lol

so his is a little extra mint...but still NEW

but his has greater possibility of missing pieces because he didn't bother checking :lol (then causing issues for the buyer)

This situation requires a leap of faith as to the condition of the product box and the figure inside. It is up to the buyer whether it is a reasonable leap of faith.

This situation requires a leap of faith as to the condition of the product box and the figure inside. It is up to the buyer whether it is a reasonable leap of faith.

Which turns into a fallacy and fraud if it is not. All due to seller ignorance. In this day and age, it's not good business.

This definition is obsolete. Again I ask, what assurances would you have that the item inside is actually in mint condition, if you've never opened the box to investigate? You can't. This is why NIB and NISB have been adopted in it's place.

LOL...fair enough, new is probably a better word to use. Edit - But you sill can't call it new if it has been removed from the package.

LOL...fair enough, new is probably a better word to use. Edit - But you sill can't call it new if it has been removed from the package.

I never said you could. NIB or NISB releases the seller from the liability if the item should be broken as the risk is now assumed wholly by the buyer. As for removing the item from the box, at that point, assuming it's still in pristine condition, it would be MIB if returned to the box to be sold.

If a product was made in 2006, even if its never been opened, how can that be called "New"? :lol People should just stop being lazy with stupid acronyms and just describe what it is.

"opened for inspection" "never been opened" "displayed but complete" whatever.

If a product was made in 2006, even if its never been opened, how can that be called "New"? :lol People should just stop being lazy with stupid acronyms and just describe what it is.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!
I wish more sellers would just be upfront when describing the product. Since there are obviously different interpretations among collectors it would be so much easier if sellers just affirmed what exactly he (or she) is selling. I have purchased SS figures listed as 'new, never been opened' that were clearly opened, displayed figures. When and if I ever repackage my displayed collection for resale, I will list them as MIB, or MIMB (since the boxes get stored immediately into the shippers) depending on the box condition. Just to be clear to the buyer, I think the overused adage 'briefly displayed and returned to box' could be justified if I wanted to use it, as I am not 'playing' with them and they are not getting dusty while being displayed. They are still mint if there are no defects, discoloring, missing parts, or weird smells.:wink1:

I do that for those not savvy with the acronyms. Though, despite spelling it out, you always get those idiots asking what condition it's in. :lol If they're too lazy to read the ****ing item descriptions, it's a one way ticket to blocksville. :lecture:lecture:lecture

I do that for those not savvy with the acronyms. Though, despite spelling it out, you always get those idiots asking what condition it's in. :lol If they're too lazy to read the ****ing item descriptions, it's a one way ticket to blocksville. :lecture:lecture:lecture

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

I sold a few empty SS GI joe boxes a while ago. I put in the description "empty box with trays only". I still got a few morons asking for their money back because they didnt realize it was wan empty box. Plain stupid if you ask me.

Back