SSC Deluxe Clonetroopers - "Shiny", Veteran, 501st & 212th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Deluxe Clonetrooper?

Speaking on this subject from a personal viewpoint, I have Sideshow Sandtroopers, which I love and think could have been done better. If they decide to do a new version with corrected sculpting details, I won't think any less of my older troopers, but I'll be ecstatic about the new ones and will happily pick one or a couple up.

This is fine enough, but there's really only one Sandtrooper with just a couple variant pauldrons , and none of them were a specific character. How many clones are out now? How many clones with names? A lot. And now if you want to continue your clone collection, you have a whole bunch that won't match each other. I'd get another Sandtrooper, I'd really love a ESB and ROTJ Stormtrooper.

I'm definitely not trying to be contrarian, I've plainly stated how I would feel if the same thing were done to OT troopers, and I don't have any issues with someone being disappointed that all their clones don't match or were produced to the same standards. But I'm just trying to find out what your point actually is? Because you've written very specifically about more than mere disappointment and even in your latest reply level accusations at Sideshow.

"They chose not to" - "they knew" - "they chose to keep" - you're saying very specific things about Sideshow's motivation here, but you don't have any facts as to WHY products were designed the way they were. And while you "feeling screwed over" doesn't make it Sideshow's intention (which is what I've argued all along), you are in fact making that claim. Seriously, if you don't mean "screwed over" then don't write it. Because means something a lot different than being disappointed. Either can be perfectly valid, but one kind of implies something a little extra about Sideshow's motivation which I don't think is/was there.

Besides, isn't it more annoying they didn't get it "right" with the very first clone, let alone "2 years ago?"

So back to my original line of discussion... Since they didn't do it from the start and since they didn't do it two years ago, when should they have done it? Should they not have done it at all? What could they do to remedy or lessen anyone feeling screwed over?

I'm not sure where the policeman angle comes in - I think that's better left to the heavy hands of some of the mods.

Oh, I also need to make sure anyone understands that I'm not trying to defend Sideshow releasing inaccurate product - I'm just of the position that "it is what it is" and it's the same or similar story with every (toy) company since the beginning of time - and while it would be interesting to know more behind the scenes information, we don't.

Last edited:

I'm definitely not trying to be contrarian, I've plainly stated how I would feel if the same thing were done to OT troopers, and I don't have any issues with someone being disappointed that all their clones don't match or were produced to the same standards. But I'm just trying to find out what your point actually is? Because you've written very specifically about more than mere disappointment and even in your latest reply level accusations at Sideshow.

"They chose not to" - "they knew" - "they chose to keep" - you're saying very specific things about Sideshow's motivation here, but you don't have any facts as to WHY products were designed the way they were. And while you "feeling screwed over" doesn't make it Sideshow's intention (which is what I've argued all along), you are in fact making that claim. Seriously, if you don't mean "screwed over" then don't write it.

Besides, isn't it more annoying they didn't get it "right" with the very first clone, let alone "2 years ago?"

So back to my original line of discussion... Since they didn't do it from the start and since they didn't do it two years ago, when should they have done it? Should they not have done it at all? What could they do to remedy or lessen anyone feeling screwed over?

I'm not sure where the policeman angle comes in - I think that's better left to the heavy hands of some of the mods.

I'm not sure how you can miss my point, yet read into some elaborate conspiracy theory I never mentioned. You seem like a perfectly intelligent person, so I can only assume you're being deliberate about it.

Of course, this isn't a court of law, and I don't have witnesses and evidence, I cannot say what Sideshow did or did not do. Not that I should have to on a discussion forum. But I can assume within reason, and I'm sure you can also, that Sideshow was aware of the issue with the phase 2 clone after they released it and people wrote endless complaints about it. Seeing as how it really wasn't a giant problem to overcome, they could have easily decided to correct it, but simply chose not to. That was their phase 2 clone, and people either accepted it or never bought it. I would have liked it to be more accurate, same with the Stormtrooper (but the stormie is only one figure and has no individual characters), but I accepted it and moved on.

All I was saying, is that it's annoying that they released clone after clone, for years, and fans happily bought them all, but now none of those figures will match any future clone Sideshow produces. And that's where it feels a bit like getting screwed over. I never said Sideshow was twirling their evil moustaches behind closed doors, waiting for us to buy 20 clones before changing the sculpt.

They should have done it after the fan disappointment on the first clone. Just like they've done with Boba. If not then, certainly before they released scores of clone characters. I'm glad they have new clones, but I'm bummed that all the film clones will now no longer match them.

Seriously, if you don't mean "screwed over" then don't write it.
..& there we go. :yess:
Can't help yourself can you.. :lol

It's fine to be disappointed, but yeah.. the ball's ultimately in our court. I've got ONE of their phase1 clones. I've been really critical of SSC's 1/6 figures to date - & my number of acquisitions shows it.

I agree that they could've been better with their attention to detail etc - earlier on, as with the clone armour / helmets, but as PP said - it is what it is.

Just speak with your wallet. :huh

..& there we go. :yess:
Can't help yourself can you.. :lol

It's fine to be disappointed, but yeah.. the ball's ultimately in our court. I've got ONE of their phase1 clones. I've been really critical of SSC's 1/6 figures to date - & my number of acquisitions shows it.

I agree that they could've been better with their attention to detail etc - earlier on, as with the clone armour / helmets, but as PP said - it is what it is.

Just speak with your wallet. :huh

I've been pretty as critical of them aswell, I usually don't post a lot, as it just ends up in endless arguments. But I really only have a handful of Sidehshow figures left.

Phase1 Clone Commander (yellow), Greedo & Hammerhead - all nice really figures.

I had a few others earlier on like the Sandie Corporal, Qui-Gon, & the Endor commando - but I kept the Endor gear, threw it onto a HT TT slim body, sold the SSC body box & stand, & sold the other figures. I originally got them for next to nothing via a local e-Tailer sale a while back. Too much I disliked about them so I turfed'em.

My remaining three are keepers though. I also want the Sand People figure, & I am interested in one of the new deluxe clone sets.. but we'll see.

I'm not sure how you can imply I'm twisting words or meaning or inferring something different. I'm also not missing your point entirely, I'm trying to get to its conclusion. Trying to get beyond the assumptions.

they could have easily decided to correct it, but simply chose not to.

Bingo. That's a huge assumption to make and very much implies intent. We don't know why it was designed the way it was originally nor why it carried forward for so long. I don't think there is/was anything simple about any of these decisions that fans just brush off. Design and manufacturing, let alone licensing(!) is absolutely anything but simple.

They should have done it after the fan disappointment on the first clone

But they didn't - and now, (finally?) they have. I know it's the timing that's upsetting you. If your issue is as simple as "I wish they would have corrected this long ago" - then that's fine. That shows disappointment without getting into any kind of conspiracy or unknowns.

I should have asked my question with a better choice of words so that it was understood that I meant present and future only, because the past is the past. So let me rephrase.

Given the years of incorrect clone details which no one can go back in time to remedy, what should Sideshow do next? Should they not have made the changes at all and just continue with the incorrect details to maintain consistency?

You do know that the bottom line in all this is that no matter what Sideshow did/does, there's always going to be a great many people who are disappointed.

2u3.jpg

So who else is excited for that backpack?:dance

Not to throw a different point of view into the wrench...as someone that has "dozens" of each type of clone aside from one of each commander...I would have loved them to be all the exact same...and the best right figure possible from the get go, but they have been "EVOLVING" their clones since they started 2 1/2 years ago with them....this is another evolutionary step...

The origial phase one, Shocktrooper and Utapau clone had the rubber body suit...when the 501st came along it was now the ribbed one we have now. The blasters also had a different paint scheme with orange pins on the guns.

The 501st was the last to have the silver "C" metal stand, then they moved to the relaxed crotch rest.

All the clones up to the Clone Lieutenant (Blue) had only 2 pair of hands...when Captain Rex was released they added all the new hands and head portraits.

All the clones up to Gree had plain blasters...when Neyo was released they changed the paint pattern again and painted both guns with new battle damage.

Sideshow has been "evolving" the clone figures since they started...this new batch has an updated armor sculpt and a few new parts.

AS far a an Original Stormtrooper...we all know there IS a 2.0 coming down the pipe with better sculpt, and extra hands with other parts to make a "Deluxe" Stormtrooper.

I know my online guy was crying tears of joy when I e-mailed him about ordering "cases" of the new rounds of clones...

Phase1 Clone Commander (yellow), Greedo & Hammerhead - all nice really figures.

I had a few others earlier on like the Sandie Corporal, Qui-Gon, & the Endor commando - but I kept the Endor gear, threw it onto a HT TT slim body, sold the SSC body box & stand, & sold the other figures. I originally got them for next to nothing via a local e-Tailer sale a while back. Too much I disliked about them so I turfed'em.

My remaining three are keepers though. I also want the Sand People figure, & I am interested in one of the new deluxe clone sets.. but we'll see.

Oh nice, Hammerhead and Greedo are ones I want to go back and get, I wasn't able to get them at the time. Unfortunately, Greedo is going for ridiculous prices these days.

Not to throw a different point of view into the wrench...as someone that has "dozens" of each type of clone aside from one of each commander...I would have loved them to be all the exact same...and the best right figure possible from the get go, but they have been "EVOLVING" their clones since they started 2 1/2 years ago with them....this is another evolutionary step...

The origial phase one, Shocktrooper and Utapau clone had the rubber body suit...when the 501st came along it was now the ribbed one we have now. The blasters also had a different paint scheme with orange pins on the guns.

The 501st was the last to have the silver "C" metal stand, then they moved to the relaxed crotch rest.

All the clones up to the Clone Lieutenant (Blue) had only 2 pair of hands...when Captain Rex was released they added all the new hands and head portraits.

All the clones up to Gree had plain blasters...when Neyo was released they changed the paint pattern again and painted both guns with new battle damage.

Sideshow has been "evolving" the clone figures since they started...this new batch has an updated armor sculpt and a few new parts.

AS far a an Original Stormtrooper...we all know there IS a 2.0 coming down the pipe with better sculpt, and extra hands with other parts to make a "Deluxe" Stormtrooper.

I know my online guy was crying tears of joy when I e-mailed him about ordering "cases" of the new rounds of clones...

To be fair, none of that really changed the clone itself. The entire armor sculpt was exactly the same throughout all of that. It's still great they added all those things though!

To be fair, none of that really changed the clone itself. The entire armor sculpt was exactly the same throughout all of that. It's still great they added all those things though!

That bodysuit change made a big difference...the armor never changed, but it was the only thing that hasn't...up until now...with the combonation of the clones now being phase one and two...I am sure the Shocktrooper will return again in new format if this bunch sell well...

I'm not sure how you can imply I'm twisting words or meaning or inferring something different. I'm also not missing your point entirely, I'm trying to get to its conclusion. Trying to get beyond the assumptions.

Bingo. That's a huge assumption to make and very much implies intent. We don't know why it was designed the way it was originally nor why it carried forward for so long. I don't think there is/was anything simple about any of these decisions that fans just brush off. Design and manufacturing, let alone licensing(!) is absolutely anything but simple.

But they didn't - and now, (finally?) they have. I know it's the timing that's upsetting you. If your issue is as simple as "I wish they would have corrected this long ago" - then that's fine. That shows disappointment without getting into any kind of conspiracy or unknowns.

I should have asked my question with a better choice of words so that it was understood that I meant present and future only, because the past is the past. So let me rephrase.

Given the years of incorrect clone details which no one can go back in time to remedy, what should Sideshow do next? Should they not have made the changes at all and just continue with the incorrect details to maintain consistency?

You do know that the bottom line in all this is that no matter what Sideshow did/does, there's always going to be a great many people who are disappointed.

Why is it so important to you to get beyond assumptions? Since when do we have to speak as if we're lawyers in a toy discussion forum? Who put you in charge of that? It's not as if assuming something is a terrible crime, I don't believe I'm making outrageous assumptions either, and what goes on at Sideshow isn't completely incomprehensible to most people anyway.

That bodysuit change made a big difference...the armor never changed, but it was the only thing that hasn't...up until now...with the combonation of the clones now being phase one and two...I am sure the Shocktrooper will return again in new format if this bunch sell well...

Do you believe they'll start remaking clones like the Shocktrooper?

*edit
Also, where did you hear about the Stormtrooper 2.0? Or do you just believe that's what they're going to do?

Ok, I think I might be done spinning my wheels on this one. If you can't see the issue with what was written and how it was written, and how my posts are just part of the same discussion, then I don't really have anything else to add to that part of the thread.

Back