SSC Deluxe Clonetroopers - "Shiny", Veteran, 501st & 212th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Deluxe Clonetrooper?

This will actually be my first Clone (getting the veteran), glad I waited till now.

Does anyone have a list of all the Sideshow clone figures?

I had forgotten about that list. Took a few minutes to get it up to date.

Is anyone else really annoyed that they decided to correct the clones after every important clone has already been released? What good is a great looking ep3 clone now when you have it next to 20 wonky headed clone commanders? I don't get Sideshow. I mean, I'm glad they did this and they look great, but what the hell?

Not really surprised. That's the way most business work nowadays. Put an item on the market then improve it over and over to sell more copies.
I must say i had no doubt we'd get a significant improvment as this one before too long. Actually, their clones got better with each release so why stop now.

This will actually be my first Clone (getting the veteran), glad I waited till now.

Same here! And only because it's the closest thing to a traditional Stormtrooper. That new phase 2 helmet looks great.

Not really surprised. That's the way most business work nowadays. Put an item on the market then improve it over and over to sell more copies.
I must say i had no doubt we'd get a significant improvment as this one before too long. Actually, their clones got better with each release so why stop now.

Before too long? It's already too late. Every important clone is already done. Unless they're planning on re-releasing the significant clones, which is very unlikely.

So are you suggesting that because a company has already released some product(s), they should no longer continue to improve/innovate in their future releases?

Or are you saying that a company should not release any product at all until they know they have done all their innovation and development (for years) in private?

Neither of those is viable in business nor life in general. Reality doesn't work that way. People don't work that way, both in terms of the creative process as well as from a consumption standpoint.

^ I work that way... you can commission for leather, I'll give ya a estimate, but until I improve it and make 100% close I won't consider it done till I know I've made something that both I and the customer are sastified with and tbh that was SSC's originally moto, limited and unique productions that match the character.

That new phase 2 helmet looks great.
Yep - it SO does. :)

I'm interested in the 501st veteran set - if I get that, I'll have a grand total of TWO SSC clones. :lol

I'm just not that interested in the back pack & phase1 helmet so much though. I was hoping to have Bly by now, but I'm not buying anything for a while now.

^ I work that way...

Sorry, you may work on freelance/commissions, but you do not work the way I described in my previous post. Once you deliver that to the customer, the transaction is complete. A few years down the line when you have improved your craft, you don't stop using your improved skills so that the new work you're creating better matches your old.

Besides, Sideshow has never done freelance commission work - that's Apples and Oranges. They also aren't a single person working on a project nor are they expected to have the same indentured employee working there from the day the company was founded until the end of time.

The fact of the matter is that previous figures were decent, and current figures are better. Good for them for improving their game. And good for fans because new products are being made available that, like the old, will last a long time.

If you don't like something they make, don't buy it. Simple as that.

So are you suggesting that because a company has already released some product(s), they should no longer continue to improve/innovate in their future releases?

Or are you saying that a company should not release any product at all until they know they have done all their innovation and development (for years) in private?

Neither of those is viable in business nor life in general. Reality doesn't work that way. People don't work that way, both in terms of the creative process as well as from a consumption standpoint.

I think what he's getting at is that Sideshow failed to make the original clones the best they could have been, given the time that they were released, the technology available at the time, and the resources Sideshow had available to them (be they digital files or 1:1 or scale Lucasfilm mock-ups).
The artists responsible for sculpting the original clones had every right to sculpt them to their liking. Chock it up to artistic interpretation. I personally like the original clones. That being said, Star Wars fans are some of the toughest people to please when it comes to accuracy, and the original clones are not as accurate as they could have been.

Sure, I completely agree, shoulda-coulda-woulda. ;) If I had a time machine, I can think of a lot of things I might do before going back to let Sideshow know they were "doing it wrong." They made what they did with plenty of development time and for a reasons known only to them. Maybe that's was in fact the best they could do at the time given their staffing and factory contracts? Who knows. I don't see how the past should somehow detract from what they're presenting now in the present.

Give me a break. Innovation and development are great and I'm all for it, but Sideshow could have corrected those issues years ago, and chose not to. They're not exactly giant issues to overcome. All of the important clones have been done already. Sideshow could have easily done what the did with Boba Fett if they wanted to, update and correct with the very next release. They had no interest in doing that, so they released their version of the clone for years. I accepted that the clone they made was less than accurate, I was fine with it and I bought some, but now years later when all the clones I want are done, they decide to correct them? This is what my complaint is, not that a company wants to innovate. I couldn't care less about 20 more obscure cartoon clone characters, the actual film ones are all finished. It just feels like getting screwed over.

With that being said, the new clones are still nice, and I'm looking forward to finally having a clean phase II to pair with the phase I.

What you're suggesting then is that Sideshow knowingly and purposefully released non-accurate armor for their clone line, knowing that they would complete the series of figures you're most interested in and then at a later date release better clones, solely for the purpose of screwing you (and others) over.

The great conspiracy of the 21st century.

What you're suggesting then is that Sideshow knowingly and purposefully released non-accurate armor for their clone line, knowing that they would complete the series of figures you're most interested in and then at a later date release better clones, solely for the purpose of screwing you (and others) over.

The great conspiracy of the 21st century.

If you say so, chief. Strong reading between lines that aren't there.

I'm not sure what else to say really.

Sideshow could have corrected those issues years ago, and chose not to.
Sideshow could have easily done what the did with Boba Fett if they wanted to, update and correct with the very next release. They had no interest in doing that, so they released their version of the clone for years.
but now years later when all the clones I want are done, they decide to correct them? This is what my complaint is, not that a company wants to innovate.
the actual film ones are all finished. It just feels like getting screwed over.

I don't think I'm reading between the lines at all. You wrote, albeit in your own words, precisely what I've interpreted. If you actually believe there was some other motivation for what's transpired in releases, you haven't put it forth - we can't read minds. Which I suspect you can't either, so even though you may have a different theory, you can't be certain it's what actually went on at Sideshow. What you've written is indicative of a conspiracy, when the hard truth likely has everything to do with business decisions other than screwing over loyal customers.

I also still fail to see how releasing a new, arguably better, product today is somehow (in any way) screwing over anyone who bought older product. I know a lot of people here in Canada have a false sense of entitlement, but I think this is taking it a bit too far.

Speaking on this subject from a personal viewpoint, I have Sideshow Sandtroopers, which I love and think could have been done better. If they decide to do a new version with corrected sculpting details, I won't think any less of my older troopers, but I'll be ecstatic about the new ones and will happily pick one or a couple up.

Last edited:

No I didn't bro, it's not precisely anything, the conspiracy angle is all yours. Saying Sideshow chose not to correct something, isn't a conspiracy. They just chose not to correct something. They knew after the first phase 2 clone came out, that people were annoyed about the helmet. They chose to keep the one they did, which I was fine with. No conspiracy. I also never said I was entitled to anything, nor does saying something feels like getting screwed over, make it intentional or fact. You're just deliberately being contrarian because you like being a forum policeman. The reality is, they have released all the movie clones with the old sculpt, now they have a new one, there's no conspiracy, it's just annoying they chose to do it now instead of two years ago.

Back