SSC Cobra Officer Figure!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. Its still cool that Hasbro finally painted the classic officer with comic colors. The only time a red mask appeared on a Trooper in the original toy line was on the Rattler box art.

IMAG000.JPG

I hope he comes with a Dragunov Sniper Rifle like the original RAH figure did. If the only difference from the Cobra Trooper is the khaki web gear and the red face mask, I'll be a little disappointed.

I hope he comes with a Dragunov Sniper Rifle like the original RAH figure did. If the only difference from the Cobra Trooper is the khaki web gear and the red face mask, I'll be a little disappointed.

cobra officer never had the dragonav... he just had an AK. The trooper came with the rifle.

Officer goes up for PO on the 9th. I think Duke and 2-3 others will be seen at SDCC.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear that? Hope that there's a couple more at least. Not all that interested in this one or Duke. I'm holding out for a Crimson Guard or Destro.

cobra officer never had the dragonav... he just had an AK. The trooper came with the rifle.

Yup, you're right, I confused the two. In that case, the Trooper scheduled to ship Sept. 09 should have had the Dragunov. Anyways, I just hope the Officer has different gear besides the different coler scheme.

As cool as this figure is, I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a silver emblem version eventually.

Very excited for this since I passed on the Trooper because he didn't have an EX and I figured I could get him on the cheap later on. I also am happy that they used the red mask and khaki harness. Hopefully, he will have his scar as the exclusive.

As cool as this figure is, I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a silver emblem version eventually.

I can respect the changes SSC made to the original Cobra Soldier and Officer. In 1982 the soldier represented a masked sniper who aided Cobra Commander in kidnapping scientists and leading revolts in various countries in an attempt to create world chaos. They weren't a full fledged military force.

The 1983 toy series made Cobra a more substantial force with an army of high tech HISS tanks. Soldiers marching into battle alongside tanks would be ill served with Dragunovs but even though the comics of the time gave Cobra troopers non-descript assault rifles Hasbro just repacked the Dragunovs and the Officers kept the AK-47's.

1983 toys and onward gave Cobra the identity they had in the comics which SSC is obviously adhering to. So I see where they'd give the Trooper the assault rifle. But then when that happens the Officer loses a lot of what made them visually unique. SSC could have made a black masked/silver logo Officer w/assault rifle but aside from the logo they'd look exactly like the Trooper. That's okay for vintage toy fans (like myself) but I can understand how they'd want to differentiate them a little.

Hasbro didn't really know what to do with the red masked soldiers of the comics and never included them in the vintage line. Later they named them the "paratrooper" and released them as part of the 25th anniversary series. I'm glad that SSC kept the red masked troopers as foot soldiers since that's what they were for many years in the comic. Name them "Cobra Officers" and they kill two birds with one stone; differentiate the Officers' visual style from the Troopers and find a way to incorporate the color schemes of the comics.

I can respect the changes SSC made to the original Cobra Soldier and Officer. In 1982 the soldier represented a masked sniper who aided Cobra Commander in kidnapping scientists and leading revolts in various countries in an attempt to create world chaos. They weren't a full fledged military force.

The 1983 toy series made Cobra a more substantial force with an army of high tech HISS tanks. Soldiers marching into battle alongside tanks would be ill served with Dragunovs but even though the comics of the time gave Cobra troopers non-descript assault rifles Hasbro just repacked the Dragunovs and the Officers kept the AK-47's.

1983 toys and onward gave Cobra the identity they had in the comics which SSC is obviously adhering to. So I see where they'd give the Trooper the assault rifle. But then when that happens the Officer loses a lot of what made them visually unique. SSC could have made a black masked/silver logo Officer w/assault rifle but aside from the logo they'd look exactly like the Trooper. That's okay for vintage toy fans (like myself) but I can understand how they'd want to differentiate them a little.

Hasbro didn't really know what to do with the red masked soldiers of the comics and never included them in the vintage line. Later they named them the "paratrooper" and released them as part of the 25th anniversary series. I'm glad that SSC kept the red masked troopers as foot soldiers since that's what they were for many years in the comic. Name them "Cobra Officers" and they kill two birds with one stone; differentiate the Officers' visual style from the Troopers and find a way to incorporate the color schemes of the comics.

my only problem is that differentiating the officers from the troopers by putting a bright red cloth across their face pretty much makes them sniper bait...

my only problem is that differentiating the officers from the troopers by putting a bright red cloth across their face pretty much makes them sniper bait...

So the fact that everyone runs around in blue which doesn't match any sort of natural environment's and a bright red Cobra symbol on their foreheads and center-mass, perfect for double-tap targeting is a-okay? :huh

yeah.. I alwys worried about that as well. :lol j/k

That would almost make sense to give him a dragonav.

any 4 year old can get some silver paint and touch up the cobra emblem if its that big a deal.

I hope he does come with different weapons though.
If not Ill probably pass ordering right away

Neither the vintage toys nor the comics showcased black masked soldiers fighting alongside soldiers with red masks. I've actually contemplated passing on the Trooper in favor of army building the "officers". I doubt I'll be able to let go of my Trooper orders but scenes like these make it very tempting to just stick to one uniform color scheme.

joe5.jpg
joe10.jpg
joe14.jpg

glad I'm not hostage to that line of thought. I think its gonna look kick ass to have the red mask trooper leading the regulars.

glad I'm not hostage to that line of thought. I think its gonna look kick ass to have the red mask trooper leading the regulars.

Me too. He is just different enough you know he isn't just another trooper, but not different enough that he is obviously a different kind of trooper. Seems perfectly obvious he is an officer. That was my thought all along when others thought he might just be a comic soldier.

Eh, to each their own. In this case, it's just a matter of "tomato - tomahto"

i know, I think it comes down to preference, but I just don't think you should hostage yourself to "we never saw them together in the comics" as the basis for the choice.

Back