SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that spandex and tights look goofy in live action. They just do. It all starts looking like that old 1970's Legends of the Superheroes TV special and that's...not good. Even seeing Chris Evans in spandex in the first Cap movie was strange. That's not to say every outfit has to be "armored" either. I hate the Nolan Batman outfits. Hate them. He looks like some military wannabe who decided to buy a bunch of gear out of the back of a Soldier of Fortune magazine and then tied a black blanket around his neck to wear for a cape. But a pure spandex outfit doesn't work for me either. I thought Cap's eventual WWII outfit in the first movie was a great compromise: it evoked his normal outfit while toning down the colors and most importantly, using fabrics that had a rougher texture to them than spandex tights.

If this is true, then that SUCKS majorly.

Classic (tights) versions of these characters should ALWAYS be available. They are a rich part of the history of these characters and they shouldn't be forgotten.

What I find interesting about this " textured, realistic slant..." of the movies is that there is NOTHING "realistic" about it... certainly not over standard spandex or supplex. I can't remember EVER seeing someone walking down the street here in New York City wearing a bodysuit that was textured like the skin on a golf ball.

But I CAN remember (plenty of times) seeing plain tights at virtually every dance performance I've ever gone to or at every night club I've been to.

I truly am sick of this "realistic" crap spoiling what should be a fun fantasy that requires only that the reader / viewer suspend disbelief a bit.

These so-called "realistic" takes on super-heroes in films seem to be so ashamed of the traditional conventions of comic books, that gradually, these heroes are wearing their costumes less and less and less in the films! How many total minutes worth of screen time did The Batman actually have in costume in the nearly 3hrs of "The Dark Knight Rises"? What... 10... 15 minutes? And that last Captain America film (Winter Soldier) featured him almost entirely OUT of costume... even on a bunch of the damn posters for the film! Why even call it "Captain America"?

Bottom line is I LOVE The Batman wearing plain tights. And I LOVE his traditional costume from the comics! It reflects how ordinary he is as a "superhero" (Re: No super-powers), and it reinforces how GOOD he has to be at what he does because he is NOT wearing some space-age, micro-weave, nano-technology, protective whatyoumacallit! It makes him special... better than me.. that he can move that quickly... maybe even take the occasional bullet and get badly injured... but he still keeps coming.

I always laugh at people who tell me that Batman in armor is "more realistic" than Batman in tights. Really? NEWSFLASH!! It's Batman!! It's not supposed to be "realistic"!! A guy who depends on speed, agility, flexibility, dexterity (in the real world)... a guy like THAT is not going to weigh himself down with bulky, constricting armor! Along those same lines of thought, a guy like that (in the real world) is NOT going to run around in a heavy, leathery Bat-cape that (again) weighs him down and slows him down into a better target for bad guys.

My point is Super-hero costumes, whether they be spandex or tights are EQUALLY ridiculous and EQUALLY UN-REALISTIC. A guy walking down my street wearing a cape and a cowl is NOT somehow made less ridiculous and more "realistic" if his body suit were armored versus if it were spandex tights. They are BOTH pretty preposterous.

"Realistic"? Give me a damn break!

And what's with this preoccupation with things being "realistic" anyway?? Last I checked, this is a comic book character. A fantasy, not a documentary.

Have you ever worn a bat-cowl? I have. In the "real world", no one in their right mind would EVER wear something as constrictive as that to go out at night and fight crime. The cowl makes the wearer completely tunnel-visioned by eliminating peripheral vision, it almost completely eliminates hearing, natural head movement... you name it.

"Realism" in Super-Hero circumstances? I just don't get it. We're talking about a guy who leaps off of 40-story tall buildings to catch bad guys. There is NOTHING "realistic" about that. There's honestly more "realism" in the average James Bond or Indiana Jones film, and neither of those guys wears any damn armor.

And now, even Superman is wearing a "realistic" textured suit these days (that is drawn with sectioned off "plates" to look like it suggests armor / bullet resistance material). Um... why? THE DARN GUY IS SUPERMAN???? He's bulletproof and faster than a speeding bullet!

Okay. End of rant. :)

:exactly:

So Spider-Man looks goofy in live action? And all the live action Supermen we've seen so far?

:goodpost:

If this is true, then that SUCKS majorly.

Classic (tights) versions of these characters should ALWAYS be available. They are a rich part of the history of these characters and they shouldn't be forgotten.

What I find interesting about this " textured, realistic slant..." of the movies is that there is NOTHING "realistic" about it... certainly not over standard spandex or supplex. I can't remember EVER seeing someone walking down the street here in New York City wearing a bodysuit that was textured like the skin on a golf ball.

But I CAN remember (plenty of times) seeing plain tights at virtually every dance performance I've ever gone to or at every night club I've been to.

I truly am sick of this "realistic" crap spoiling what should be a fun fantasy that requires only that the reader / viewer suspend disbelief a bit.

These so-called "realistic" takes on super-heroes in films seem to be so ashamed of the traditional conventions of comic books, that gradually, these heroes are wearing their costumes less and less and less in the films! How many total minutes worth of screen time did The Batman actually have in costume in the nearly 3hrs of "The Dark Knight Rises"? What... 10... 15 minutes? And that last Captain America film (Winter Soldier) featured him almost entirely OUT of costume... even on a bunch of the damn posters for the film! Why even call it "Captain America"?

Bottom line is I LOVE The Batman wearing plain tights. And I LOVE his traditional costume from the comics! It reflects how ordinary he is as a "superhero" (Re: No super-powers), and it reinforces how GOOD he has to be at what he does because he is NOT wearing some space-age, micro-weave, nano-technology, protective whatyoumacallit! It makes him special... better than me.. that he can move that quickly... maybe even take the occasional bullet and get badly injured... but he still keeps coming.

I always laugh at people who tell me that Batman in armor is "more realistic" than Batman in tights. Really? NEWSFLASH!! It's Batman!! It's not supposed to be "realistic"!! A guy who depends on speed, agility, flexibility, dexterity (in the real world)... a guy like THAT is not going to weigh himself down with bulky, constricting armor! Along those same lines of thought, a guy like that (in the real world) is NOT going to run around in a heavy, leathery Bat-cape that (again) weighs him down and slows him down into a better target for bad guys.

My point is Super-hero costumes, whether they be spandex or tights are EQUALLY ridiculous and EQUALLY UN-REALISTIC. A guy walking down my street wearing a cape and a cowl is NOT somehow made less ridiculous and more "realistic" if his body suit were armored versus if it were spandex tights. They are BOTH pretty preposterous.

"Realistic"? Give me a damn break!

And what's with this preoccupation with things being "realistic" anyway?? Last I checked, this is a comic book character. A fantasy, not a documentary.

Have you ever worn a bat-cowl? I have. In the "real world", no one in their right mind would EVER wear something as constrictive as that to go out at night and fight crime. The cowl makes the wearer completely tunnel-visioned by eliminating peripheral vision, it almost completely eliminates hearing, natural head movement... you name it.

"Realism" in Super-Hero circumstances? I just don't get it. We're talking about a guy who leaps off of 40-story tall buildings to catch bad guys. There is NOTHING "realistic" about that. There's honestly more "realism" in the average James Bond or Indiana Jones film, and neither of those guys wears any damn armor.

And now, even Superman is wearing a "realistic" textured suit these days (that is drawn with sectioned off "plates" to look like it suggests armor / bullet resistance material). Um... why? THE DARN GUY IS SUPERMAN???? He's bulletproof and faster than a speeding bullet!

Okay. End of rant. :)

Haha, agree and agree and agree, LOL

The problem is that spandex and tights look goofy in live action. They just do. It all starts looking like that old 1970's Legends of the Superheroes TV special and that's...not good.

I completely disagree. I don't think Chris Reeve EVER looked "goofy" as Superman in any of the films he did. And the (aforementioned) Spiderman hasn't looked "goofy" in his tights either.

Look, the Legends of Superheroes TV special of the 70's is a bad example to even bring up because the CONTEXT of that program was to spoof heroes. It did not treat them seriously. It was badly lit and photographed on video tape and on cheap sets with cheap ill-fitting costumes worn by out of shape actors.

Most of these costumed characters are NOT intended to be photographed in broad daylight or even brightly-lit situations... certainly not The Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder. They were ALWAYS intended for shadow, darkness, and night.

If you've ever seen the Batman fan film "Batman: Dead End" by Sandy Collera, you'll see how a traditional Batman costume (even with a spandex bodysuit) can be presented in a way that does NOT look "goofy" or cheap. And that was because the costume was expertly and professionally made... it was presented PROPERLY... in a rainy nighttime scene, in a shadowy and steamy back alley... The actor playing The Batman (Clark Bartram) was in amazing physical shape and really SOLD Batman as a live action character.

Proper CONTEXT, proper presentation, Proper production values, and proper casting... THEY MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

The problem is an entire generation of fans (starting in 1989 with Tim Burton's "Batman") were raised on the concept of live action heroes wearing something OTHER than tights. This was because knuckleheads like film director Tim Burton (who was NOT a fan of the comic book) refused to cast these traditional heroes TO TYPE. Burton got himself an "average joe" type (short, balding comedian Michael Keaton) and found himself having to dress the guy in rubber armor just to give Keaton heroic proportions on screen. The film grossed hundreds of millions at the box office and that stupid casting / rubber armor tradition stuck.

Actors playing comic book heroes ALL OVER THE PLACE where phoning-in their performances because they figured the rubber monkey suit would do all the work. They figured they didn't have to be very good actors and that they didn't even have to do the research work to understand the character. Lord knows that was the case with Chris Nolan and Christian Bale. But I digress.

Spandex is just a fabric. It's silly to think that the texture of a damn fabric is single-handedly responsible for how seriously an audience can take a character in a film. This silly contemporary anti-spandex sentiment could have been avoided if these movie comic book characters were just cast in the tradition of Chris Reeve... a guy who loved, respected, and understood the character, Directed by a guy who insisted the character be treated with seriousness and truthfulness. All I know is when I watched Chris Reeve as Superman, I was NOT focused on the fact that he was wearing spandex. I BELIEVED him as Superman because he embodied the character. Period.

Last edited:
14superman.jpg

Hey now, at least the armor in '89 Batman looked comic bookesque. Mobility aside, it was the closest thing to Neal Adams Batman we've gotten!

But honestly, the "make Batman armored"/"take an ordinary man and put him in an extraordinary suit" did start with it though and has been plaguing merge character ever since.

There's a glimmer of hope with Affleck's regular suit.

Hey now, at least the armor in '89 Batman looked comic bookesque. Mobility aside, it was the closest thing to Neal Adams Batman we've gotten!

But honestly, the "make Batman armored"/"take an ordinary man and put him in an extraordinary suit" did start with it though and has been plaguing merge character ever since.

There's a glimmer of hope with Affleck's regular suit.

I believe is armor as well.

I got on the wait list for the exclusive around the end of last month and it converted a couple days later. If it hadn't converted, I was going with BBTS for the regular version (would be a bit cheaper with no CA sales tax). Exclusive warrants the tax, like the Joker Exclusive did (at least for me).

Just pre-ordered this (reg). My first 1/6 order ever. My collection consists of 1/4 scale mostly but with the $20 dollar discount that came today with my Red Skull pf ex I took the plunge. My wallet really hopes that this will be a lone piece for me.

Lol, never mind.

Jumped on the WL earlier today and just converted. Never had any doubts but damn that was quick.

Lol, never mind.

Jumped on the WL earlier today and just converted. Never had any doubts but damn that was quick.

looks like sideshow playing their waitlist games again...suckering people into thinking it's gonna "sell out" soon

Back