SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what did he say? :pray:

He was an awesome guy to talk to, I was actually at a michigan state football game when I met him. I told him how I'm a huge Robin fan and was dissapointed how Tim Drake has been handled in the new 52, especially how he has never been robin according to it. He then told me how he's always viewed tim as his Robin and that we need to continie reading to see what happens when it comes to Tim and who will be Robin. He also said wally west is coming. Ill post a picture of when I met him later.

this is the first Mattel Robin Look's perfect to me.

I love that figure still, I have a couple of them open and moc. It's my favorite figure of Tim in his original costume, but never understood why they didn't paint the gloves green. I still remember being sooo excited though the first time that costume was put in figure form with the batman returns line or after that with total justice and batman the animated series.

I still remember being sooo excited though the first time that costume was put in figure form with the batman returns line

I absolutely LOVE that figure. It is probably my favorite mass-market action figure of all time. I even own one of the prototypes for it. :)

It was a different time when that figure came out too- No internet toy sites or prevalent toy mags to tell you what was coming... You almost always found out about new toys from commercials or by seeing them on shelves. For that Robin though, I VIVIDLY remember seeing him in a Toys R Us Sunday sales ad, riding on the Jet Foil. I lost my mind over that picture. Right there, in plastic form, was the brand new Robin... I didn't even have hopes for seeing him in figure form, since Super Powers was long gone and he wasn't appearing in "Batman Returns". But yet there he was (MAJOR kudos to Kenner for working him into the line).

I called TRU every single day until that figure arrived (which I am sure they LOVED). When it did arrive, I had to wait for my Dad to get home so he could drive me up there and get him... There was a special going on- Buy 2 figures, get a free Batman Returns poster. So Robin, Catwoman, and the poster all came home that day. :)

Ah memories... The really great toys always have strong ones attached to them.

Pretty sure it was Norm Breyfogle who designed Timothy Drake's costume.

Nope... It was Adams. Breyfogle was one of the artists that DC tasked with submitting new designs, but the Neal Adams submission was the one that won out. (And rightly so... it is perfect.) Some of Breyfogle's designs are pretty darned cool though (especially for a 1989 Batman movie fan like me), and a few of his elements were carried into the final version of the character (the staff and influence on the final "R" symbol design).

You can check them out here: https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2010/05/original-art-stories-norm-breyfogles.html

Sallah

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE that figure. It is probably my favorite mass-market action figure of all time. I even own one of the prototypes for it. :)

It was a different time when that figure came out too- No internet toy sites or prevalent toy mags to tell you what was coming... You almost always found out about new toys from commercials or by seeing them on shelves. For that Robin though, I VIVIDLY remember seeing him in a Toys R Us Sunday sales ad, riding on the Jet Foil. I lost my mind over that picture. Right there, in plastic form, was the brand new Robin... I didn't even have hopes for seeing him in figure form, since Super Powers was long gone and he wasn't appearing in "Batman Returns". But yet there he was (MAJOR kudos to Kenner for working him into the line).

I called TRU every single day until that figure arrived (which I am sure they LOVED). When it did arrive, I had to wait for my Dad to get home so he could drive me up there and get him... There was a special going on- Buy 2 figures, get a free Batman Returns poster. So Robin, Catwoman, and the poster all came home that day. :)

Ah memories... The really great toys always have strong ones attached to them.

Nope... It was Adams. Breyfogle was one of the artists that DC tasked with submitting new designs, but the Neal Adams submission was the one that won out. (And rightly so... it is perfect.) Some of Breyfogle's designs are pretty darned cool though (especially for a 1989 Batman movie fan like me), and a few of his elements were carried into the final version of the character (the staff and influence on the final "R" symbol design).

You can check them out here: https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2010/05/original-art-stories-norm-breyfogles.html

Sallah

See for me, I didn't know about him till I saw the picture of him one day on a card back of one of Batman's. I remember jumping up and down with excitement telling my mom we have to find this Robin. Its was so exciting to have something other then the super powers mold. So my mom and I searched high and low for months between Toys R Us and Child's World in New York, until one day we moved to Georgia that summer and went to Target for the first time ever. There i found him hanging on the peg and i was so darn excited. I never went anywhere without that figure after that day for a long time. Also, its funny that day I too got Catwoman along with my Robin. I also got the Robin Jet Foil soon after at Service Merchandise. Oh the memories is right! :)

Also I haven't scene those designs In awhile, but I'm so glad they went with Adams design. But what I find interesting is some of them look a lot like Tim Drakes second suit.

Last edited:
The first day TRU opened here. I spent a most of a paycheck on all the Batman Returns toys I could buy. Even all the variants of Batman. TRU exclusives etc.
Then the Animated stuff came out and I sold most to buy that line.
Wish I had kept the Batmissile.

The toys I did keep was Robin and his Jetfoil.

Also I haven't scene those designs In awhile, but I'm so glad they went with Adams design. But what I find interesting is some of them look a lot like Tim Drakes second suit.

...and I love the ones that incorporate the '89 Batsuit gloves and boots. :)

Sallah

Sallah

Thanks for the information. I'd been wrong about that for years.

I agree! I have some McDonalds Batman figures with plastic capes that I still think look really cool. For some reason that cape just looks so low grade because it isn't plastic like the rest of the figure. It sort of takes you out of the moment with the figure.

So really, who is going to be doing some awesome damn near professional battle damage customization to match that bd cowl

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

well the battle damaged head is useless with a battle damaged suit right.

i like the battle damaged head but why just the head? they might as well have given us zebra batmans head for all the good it is without major customization to the suit.

well the battle damaged head is useless with a battle damaged suit right.

i like the battle damaged head but why just the head? they might as well have given us zebra batmans head for all the good it is without major customization to the suit.

Not really. Getting punched repeatedly in the face will not damage your clothes in any way shape or form.

Back