SS v. BBTS (pros and cons - shipping, etc)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Sideshow combine shipping for anything?

I think there's a way to do it if you call. I've asked for two preorders that I've had ship around the same time to be sent together and the lady said if they were ordered together then there's something to be done. If they are on independent plans then it isn't possible. Or so they say.

I purchase from both. I do sideshow for exclusives like ghost rider, if I have a coupon, or have a bunch of reward points otherwise I go elseware. My issue is there shipping cost way to much and is incredibly slow. I expect 4 dollar shipping to be slow not twenty. Bigbadtoystore having no deposit is great. If I may add another option I’ve been using popculturezone.com a lot. They offer free gifts with purchase (they do add like 1.00 to shipping cost though). You get 2 percent back off your next order, hot toys are 5% cheaper than bbts and ss. And it’s around 10 to ship a hot toy figure in three days double boxed.

AE used to be my primary backup for SS because, in addition to lower shipping costs and free double boxing, their prices were usually 5-10% lower on HT figures. Now their prices are the same, so I use them less frequently as (a) they don't have a flex pay option yet and (b) their reward system is not quite as good. I usually look at them @ my birthday, as they do give you bonus points then ($25 worth). If their shipping is going to be free from now on (as is the case for HT Iron Spider) AND they add flex pay as they've recently hinted, then they'd probably be my go-to seller.

Like others, I find that most of my SS reward points are burned just to offset shipping costs (you basically need rewards from 2 regular HT figures to pay the shipping for a 3rd). My biggest reason for sticking with SS for most of my orders is their flex pay system and Spooktacular, and recently the latter is more for the entertainment value on this forum than it is for the reward point benefits.

Speeking of spooktacular any one know what was up with it this year. Last year I got 40 worth of reward points in e-mail giveaways. This year nothing. I never got any e-mails at all about giveaways just adds for spooky items. Did they stop doing it.

I purchase from both. I do sideshow for exclusives like ghost rider, if I have a coupon, or have a bunch of reward points otherwise I go elseware. My issue is there shipping cost way to much and is incredibly slow. I expect 4 dollar shipping to be slow not twenty. Bigbadtoystore having no deposit is great. If I may add another option I’ve been using popculturezone.com a lot. They offer free gifts with purchase (they do add like 1.00 to shipping cost though). You get 2 percent back off your next order, hot toys are 5% cheaper than bbts and ss. And it’s around 10 to ship a hot toy figure in three days double boxed.

I've been using PCZ as well. The discount on HT products vs. SS & BBTS is actually just under 8% (7.7 to 7.8). Shipping was low, but my last 2 pre-orders were @$20 each, so it appears they've had to adjust to the rising rates as well. Also, it's 20% plus shipping up front. A bit high for a NRD, but I've found them to be the best deal out there when I'm low on SS reward points.

I've been using PCZ as well. The discount on HT products vs. SS & BBTS is actually just under 8% (7.7 to 7.8). Shipping was low, but my last 2 pre-orders were @$20 each, so it appears they've had to adjust to the rising rates as well. Also, it's 20% plus shipping up front. A bit high for a NRD, but I've found them to be the best deal out there when I'm low on SS reward points.

What type of shipping did you use. I just preordered the iron spider and three day priority for it was 10.00

Exactly, other expenses should go into the price of the figure, or they can just be straight up and list import fees, not charging more for shipping. And what's the justification that a box out costs an extra $10, everything about this just makes SS looks greedy and bad.

Would that really matter? If they itemized it would that really change anyone’s mind? Or if they added 10 bucks to the price(additional) of figures and charged 10 less for shipping would that really change anyone’s mind about any of this? I doubt it.

BBTS over SSC (I am not at SSC fan at all)

But really, Timewalker is where it’s at....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I have only ordered from Sideshow, because one time I got a messed up figure, and they replaced it quickly and easily, which impressed me. If I order a Cap from BBTS or Alter Ego, and the A on his forehead is way off center, will they replace it? I am not one of those picky collectors that sends a figure back for every imperfection, but for a big mistake I want to order from somewhere that will take care of it.

My vote goes to SS now. I used to be BBTS all the way but they charge sale tax to my state now and on something like a Hot Toys figure, it ends up costing me a lot more than SS does with their really expensive shipping plus add in getting the figure earlier and rewards makes it a no contest for me. Before this, the wait for BBTS was acceptable due to the savings with their $4 shipping. If they didn't charge tax then my vote would be BBTS.

Do we know which states BBTS is taxing now?

From the BBTS FAQ: (https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Help/Faq#sales-tax)

BigBadToyStore charges sales tax on eligible items sent to a state where we currently have Nexus. The following states are currently subject to sales tax:

Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
New Jersey
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin

Please be aware that the June 2018 Supreme Court ruling now allows states to charge sales tax on internet transactions. We anticipate most states will have sales tax laws in place by the end of the year. States write their own tax laws so each state can be different, but we expect the majority of internet retailers will have to collect sales tax in most states.

Does anyone know if the points you get from Alter Ego Comics ever expire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Probably should have googled before asking; thanks for the thorough response though @SmokeUpJohnny

Does bbts require a signature?
Depends on how much you order. With the $4 shipping usually I don't need to sign. The trick with it through is to exceed $500 in one shipment, then it has to be sent FedEx Home Delivery because of the insurance value, rather than SmartPost. In these instances I've had two cases where I needed to sign, and a handful where I haven't.

But I assume that like UPS, there's a way to authorize the delivery through your account. I just can't get into my FedEx account for whatever reason.

Back