Square Enix Play Arts Kai Gets New Licenses

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig them. A lot actually. Now if Boba Fett was such a badass in a galaxy full of sith and jedi I would expect him to look more like that. He does not look like a character that would be knocked to his death by a blind guy with a girly scream.

A stormtrooper that looks imposing and that he can actually kick some scum ass. That's a win right there. Just not crazy about the low sitting holster on the back. Looks weird.

Vader looks great. His armor looks more regal and practical in battle situations in my opinion. But diehard fans don't like change so im sure reception will be a mixed bag. I'm a star wars fan but I love the mythos more than the films themselves especially anything newer, and I think this is what these characters would look like with a true warrior's appearance.

I don't know if I'll get anybody other than Fett though. I don't want to get glued into this line with $125 a pop.

Varients are great its just like fan art, or people covering your favourite songs (check radio1 Live Lounge). For me its like enjoying your favourite things in a new way.

actually think this bobs fett looks cooler - more modern. Shock horror. Again most probably cause I'm not attached. I may pick up a trooper myself haha

I don't understand the appeal in 'variants'. Some look cool designs just on their own, but they're not the actual character. They haven't been featured in anything. I don 't get what the appeal is.

AK Batman looks great, but, I don't dig the suit that much, it looks like a PAK variant in and of itself already.

Some people just like to see some different from time to time. I love the cover song explanation. It's just a alternate take on a character that has been around for a long, long time, just to spice things up.

There's a point of no return with variants. These aren't nearly as bad as some of the other horse **** they've done or doing.

Varients are great its just like fan art, or people covering your favourite songs (check radio1 Live Lounge). For me its like enjoying your favourite things in a new way.

actually think this bobs fett looks cooler - more modern. Shock horror. Again most probably cause I'm not attached. I may pick up a trooper myself haha

Some people just like to see some different from time to time. I love the cover song explanation. It's just a alternate take on a character that has been around for a long, long time, just to spice things up.

:goodpost: :exactly:

I myself view them as fan art. Sure, not every design will be to your liking, but when a certain one hits the right notes for you, it's like getting a refreshing and unique take of an existing character that's been done to death already. Interestingly, I think Star Wars's tech-based designs actually lend well to the Variants style.

Now I'm really hoping that they make a Variants Ultron as part of their Marvel line. :panic:

Variant just like different interpretation and I always welcomed that. Just like fanart, people can go crazy with their interpretation and improvise it. To be honest Captain America in MCU also different interpretation than Cap we know in comic book with his shell suit.But its featured in movie and we can connected to it.

I feel like this designs show what the characters would look like if SW came out today, with a different emphasis on how to show power than back in the 70's on a budget. I mean Vader has always looked great, but Fett and the Stormie clearly look more intimidating. Boba Fett actually looks like he acquired some of the best armor available in the galaxy which I would expect him to do instead of looking like he went to Sears and got blue/grey khaki's and randomly attached armor.

I hate the new prices on these figures now. But Deathstroke looks too much of a badass I had to scoop him up before bbts sells out. That's the only place I could find it for retail price. Looks like AO Batman and Robin will be sticking around for a bit.

actually the Star Wars variant looks much better designed than the original.

putting our bias aside, the variants look a more futuristic take.

just got my AC Cloud. Awesome and love this figure:clap:clap hope they will release the fenrir :pray:

picture share time:

Attachments

• 20150502_144834.jpg
    20150502_144834.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 20150502_144923.jpg
    20150502_144923.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 270
Thats gotta be the best Play Arts has produced! Great paint, amazing sculpt, load and loads of accessories. This is how it should be. Its good to see them put effort in their own properties aswell.

Now id kill for the other lines (MGS) to get this love aswell

Holy **** it came out good. Usually the face is a little off but this looks great.

Can't believe I missed the amiami preoder... been refreshing that page for months. Would've cost me less than $110 shipped. Guess I have to get it from elsewhere. I see this selling out pretty fast.

Hoping they'll do a Fenrir combo.

Last edited:
I think that cloth part really helps with the overall look. Just all kinds of awesome. I agree with hoping that all their releases would follow suit with this kind of quality.

I'm scared of thinking how much they'd charge for Fenrir.

Never posted in here before but was super excited to receive this yesterday so figured I would share. Only a couple of pics as im away from the house currently but I can do more if people would like them. My last Play Arts Kai purchase was the Garrus and Tali from the Mass Effect line. But this figure alone has peeked my interest to pay more attention to them for future products cause it is absolutely fantastic.

cloud2.jpg

cloud1.jpg

Holy **** it came out good. Usually the face is a little off but this looks great.

Can't believe I missed the amiami preoder... been refreshing that page for months. Would've cost me less than $110 shipped. Guess I have to get it from elsewhere. I see this selling out pretty fast.

Hoping they'll do a Fenrir combo.
All western shops have it for 119.99 (with some having free shipping)

Edit: why couldn't Tifa turn out just as good. WHY!? :( :( :(

Back