Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
Announced during Microsoft's E3 press conference. Looks like a prequel, Sam seems young.

Will update with gameplay footage and more info soon.

update:

On-stage e3 gameplay:
[ame]https://youtu.be/mZBDssn0jqI[/ame]

CG trailer
[ame]https://youtu.be/qzarD-5RRik[/ame]

Sam Fisher is no longer hiding in the shadows. He’s taking the fight to the enemies of the United States in plain daylight, and he’ll do it by any means necessary. Whether through more traditional, conventional stealth tactics, or by blowing everything up in sight, the notion of variety and choice dominates the landscape of Splinter Cell Blacklist. That’s a good thing considering the formidable task at hand.

Blacklist takes place six months after 2008‘s Splinter Cell Conviction. Rogue nations have pooled their resources to pose an ultimatum to the United States: withdraw all forces from deployment or suffer the consequences. This threat is backed by the blacklist, a file that contains classified intel on high profile targets and assets of the U.S. Naturally, to prevent these consequences and end the stalemate, the government calls in Sam Fisher, who demands vast and mobile resources be placed at his disposal. He forms a new 4th Echelon unit, one with a plane as its headquarters. He has access to the SMI - a Strategic Mission Interface - an operating system that helps Sam analyze and determine the best course of action. This is clearly not the deeply personal story of Conviction. This is one man waging a nation’s war. The scary part? He’s good enough to do it.

Ubisoft wants to extend that sense of power and resourcefulness to the player. Sam Fisher needs to seem like an unstoppable force, a threat so significant that it’s easy to see why the President of the United States would call on him - and him alone. To that end, Blacklist features a lot of returning ideas as well as some new ones. The result is a hybrid of stealth and high stakes action. No doubt some franchise purists who have followed the series for a decade will find this evolution jarring, but the good news here is that the old approaches aren’t going anywhere. They’re now just supplemented by alternatives - alternatives that allow you to engage in large scale firefights, call in air support and generally unleash hell upon guys that could easy be killed in the darkness with a knife.

At the heart of Blacklist is the notion of fluid traversal, which also lends itself to combat and the implementation of being able to kill while in motion. Though reasonably self-explanatory, these movement and combat options can change how certain scenarios are approached. Simply holding down one button will now allow players to sprint through environments, leaping over obstacles and climbing over objects as necessary. Taking out enemies during that dash is as easy as tapping a button. The goal here is to remove the challenges that can come with complicated, frustrating controls. The emphasis and focus should be on dealing with the objective - and opposition to that objective.

That’s not to say that the game’s designers always call for a faster pace. Sam can grab from cover, hang from ledges and move bodies. He has his snake cam, sticky shockers and knife. He'll torture men, digging his knife into their shoulder, and players will control the movement of the blade. In other words, he will do whatever the hell he wants. Whatever it takes. Blacklist takes the idea of “aggressive stealth” of Conviction, but then allows players to completely drop all pretenses and shoot it out, machine guns blazing, even behind cover if they’re completely outnumbered. Classic Splinter Cell ideas are being mixed with new ones, all of it guided by the larger sense of flexibility and strategy. Better yet, the game affords the player the option of finding a middle ground between stealth and action. Sam might be torturing a man one minute and then sprinting to cover as a half dozen men fire upon him the next. In one scenario he’s calling in air support from above, and later on he’s using his snake cam to mark and execute his enemies.

The evolution of Splinter Cell applies to its cooperative and adversarial modes as well. Longtime fans will be pleased to hear that the multiplayer mode Spies vs. Mercenaries, missing from Conviction, will return. Both it and the larger co-op concept are more integrated into the single player experience, both through the game’s ‘economy system’ and the actual missions themselves. Ubisoft wouldn’t get into details, but it appears as though mission parameters can actually be affected by the completion of objectives in other modes.

Blacklist is still a ways from completion. Due out in Spring 2013 (along with every other game known to man), the team at Ubisoft Toronto has much more to develop, and we have much more to learn. It is clear, however, that this game is building upon Conviction, emphasizing its more aggressive nature while bringing back old tools to allow players stealthier options. In previous Splinter Cell games we were playing as Sam Fisher. Now we’re finally starting to feel like we are him.

RrTkX.jpg

NKqxk.jpg

Cwe0a.jpg

qvpTH.jpg

hdIiO.jpg

AP5oV.jpg

Ee8JN.jpg

Last edited:
Announced during Microsoft's E3 press conference. Looks like a prequel, Sam seems young.

Will update with gameplay footage and more info soon.

9852620120604_161850_1_big.jpg

9852620120604_161850_2_big.jpg

9852620120604_161850_3_big.jpg

9852620120604_161851_6_big.jpg

9852620120604_161851_5_big.jpg

9852620120604_161850_4_big.jpg

9852620120604_161850_0_big.jpg

Might be me, but all the links are broken.

I'm guessing it will be another Xbox exclusive? Tired of being screwed with Splinter Cell not making it's way to PS3.

Not seeing a problem with the image links, but I rehosted them anyway.

They work, looks great. Is that a MGS4 inspired camo suit? Kind of looks similar.

Agreed! Even though I have both consoles I still only use my PS3 and the last game I bought for XBOX was the first Gears of War.

I bought the HD collection and it was a blast. I didn't play Double Agent even though I own it, I heard it was awful on PS3.

The rumor was that Xbox was going to have a 1 year exclusive on this title. We'll see if that really happens.

This is my most anticipated game now. With this being my favorite franchise, I'm glad their mixing some of the old with the new.

This game can't be too far into Sam's past being as he has gray hair in this one too. Maybe it's close to his original retirement.

He was retired at the beginning of the first game right?

I can't watch the video now, but based on those images, I'm hoping the majority of the game isn't outside. I liked that one level in Conviction, but I preferred it as the exception, not the rule.

Even if it is, I'd still be pumped. This series is so good; I wish 360 could have gotten the HD collection as well.

I wish PS3 could have gotten Conviction as well.

I guess I really don't pay much attention to cross-console / exclusive stuff, I thought eventually PS3 did.

Double Agent was good, but my least favorite by far. I thought Conviction was an extraordinary recovery, and the slick additions worked well, and didn't feel like "cool additions that serve no purpose other than looking good".

why are people confused as to whether its a sequel or prequel. Its in the text:

Blacklist takes place six months after 2008‘s Splinter Cell Conviction

why are people confused as to whether its a sequel or prequel. Its in the text:

I added that article much later after starting this thread. At the time, we didn't know if it was a prequel or sequel. And Sam looks and sounds much younger than he usually does.

Damn, I thought he sounded younger. And it's because Ironside isn't doing it? Sucks.

Back