Spidey's Art Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to feel like I am kind of getting this now

BRANDNEWHULK_zpsed68787c.jpg

Hey, a fellow zbrusher !

Dropping in to see what you're up to, and it looks really nice ! I like how you did the hair on your Superman, I suck at modelling it. I know it is still a WIP but you might want to check his neck though, as it seems a bit elongated right now.

Looking at your different sculpts, you know what you're doing when sculpting heads, nothing shocks me, it is looking good. But I think you could push your models a bit further... I mean, your Superman, Cap and Batman all share a lot of facial features, which kinda makes them look generic when you compare them. Maybe you should try to differentiate them more, so that they all have a unique appearance. The face works well for Superman, try working on Batman and Cap.
Also, still talking about faces, try adding more details to them (like wrinkles, pores, subtle marks to break the symmetry, more mass into the different part of the face respecting the underlying muscles).

Anyway, really nice to see someone using Zbrush, might start a thread of my own. I'll be watching this one closely. Keep up the good work !

Hey, a fellow zbrusher !

Dropping in to see what you're up to, and it looks really nice ! I like how you did the hair on your Superman, I suck at modelling it. I know it is still a WIP but you might want to check his neck though, as it seems a bit elongated right now.

Looking at your different sculpts, you know what you're doing when sculpting heads, nothing shocks me, it is looking good. But I think you could push your models a bit further... I mean, your Superman, Cap and Batman all share a lot of facial features, which kinda makes them look generic when you compare them. Maybe you should try to differentiate them more, so that they all have a unique appearance. The face works well for Superman, try working on Batman and Cap.
Also, still talking about faces, try adding more details to them (like wrinkles, pores, subtle marks to break the symmetry, more mass into the different part of the face respecting the underlying muscles).

Anyway, really nice to see someone using Zbrush, might start a thread of my own. I'll be watching this one closely. Keep up the good work !

Thanks Chug I have been working on zbrush for a couple of months now, so I am pretty much a rookie. Thank you for your kind words. I have been working mainly on my facial sculpts so I am glad that you think they look good, but I agree that I have a lot to learn. I have put more work into my Superman and Hulk than any of the other sculpts, and I am going to do a little more work on making Superman look less symmetric. Hulk on the other hand is going to be altered up once I start posing him a little more (though I have so much more to do with the body anatomy). I totally agree with what you had to say about Bats and Cap. They are both based on a basic hero sculpt that I am working on, but I have loads more work to do on them to give them both a unique look.

Again thanks for your input and enthusiasm, and I gotta add I would love to see your work Chug. I love learning from others and seeing their WIP work.

Hulk on the other hand is going to be altered up once I start posing him a little more (though I have so much more to do with the body anatomy).

About the Hulk's body, I'm afraid you went a bit too far into detailing it and adding muscles without having the silhouette and the volumes done right. But don't be afraid, it is extremely common when discovering Zbrush or other sculpting apps : we usually want to run before learning to walk, I did exactly the same.

What exactly is your workflow in Zbrush ? Do you start with a basemesh modelled in another software ? Do you start in Zbrush with zspheres ? Do you start from a single sphere ?

Using a 2D reference of your character from the front and from a side view can help tremendously to get volumes right : having a blueprint to follow makes shaping easier and then, when you feel the silhouette of your character is exactly like you want him to be, you can start refining him, adding the muscle details, always working from the lowest subdivision to the highest, in order. It really is like sculpting, work by little touch here and there, adding volumes, going from the biggest details to the more subtle ones.

When I look at your Hulk, I can see that you have knowledge in anatomy and that you know which muscles to emphasize. It's just that you're going too fast, not getting the base shape right and rush into detailing, which won't help and correct anything if the overall shape doesn't work.

I hope you're not getting offended by what I say, you are already quite good with faces, it is easy to tell that you've been working and observing it for a long time, it shows in your models. I think you just need to be a bit more patient when working on bodies, and spend more time on the overall shapes and volumes to achieve a good base to start from when going into detailing. I'm pretty sure you've already heard everything I said from someone else, so don't be too hard on me :D.

To further illustrate what I'm talking about, here's a speed sculpt from a CG artist that shows how he starts to work on the overall shape, constantly turning around his model to check and see if it looks and feel right before taking details to the next level, and doesn't hesitate to move and reshape the overall sculpt if he feels like he's losing it.
Of course, the guy is an absolute beast, it looks so easy when it is him doing it, and both of us won't be achieving those kind of result anytime soon, but it is always a good idea to check how people doing it right actually do it.

Thank you for your interest in my work, I will soon start a sculpt to make a 1/4th scale Jim Lee Storm to go alongside my other Xmen... It's been awhile I wanted to do it but I am working on other projects right now. That said, seing your work and talking with a zbrush enthusiast on this very forum just gave me the motivation to start working on Ororo real soon.

About the Hulk's body, I'm afraid you went a bit too far into detailing it and adding muscles without having the silhouette and the volumes done right. But don't be afraid, it is extremely common when discovering Zbrush or other sculpting apps : we usually want to run before learning to walk, I did exactly the same.

What exactly is your workflow in Zbrush ? Do you start with a basemesh modelled in another software ? Do you start in Zbrush with zspheres ? Do you start from a single sphere ?

Using a 2D reference of your character from the front and from a side view can help tremendously to get volumes right : having a blueprint to follow makes shaping easier and then, when you feel the silhouette of your character is exactly like you want him to be, you can start refining him, adding the muscle details, always working from the lowest subdivision to the highest, in order. It really is like sculpting, work by little touch here and there, adding volumes, going from the biggest details to the more subtle ones.

When I look at your Hulk, I can see that you have knowledge in anatomy and that you know which muscles to emphasize. It's just that you're going too fast, not getting the base shape right and rush into detailing, which won't help and correct anything if the overall shape doesn't work.

I hope you're not getting offended by what I say, you are already quite good with faces, it is easy to tell that you've been working and observing it for a long time, it shows in your models. I think you just need to be a bit more patient when working on bodies, and spend more time on the overall shapes and volumes to achieve a good base to start from when going into detailing. I'm pretty sure you've already heard everything I said from someone else, so don't be too hard on me :D.

To further illustrate what I'm talking about, here's a speed sculpt from a CG artist that shows how he starts to work on the overall shape, constantly turning around his model to check and see if it looks and feel right before taking details to the next level, and doesn't hesitate to move and reshape the overall sculpt if he feels like he's losing it.
Of course, the guy is an absolute beast, it looks so easy when it is him doing it, and both of us won't be achieving those kind of result anytime soon, but it is always a good idea to check how people doing it right actually do it.

Thank you for your interest in my work, I will soon start a sculpt to make a 1/4th scale Jim Lee Storm to go alongside my other Xmen... It's been awhile I wanted to do it but I am working on other projects right now. That said, seing your work and talking with a zbrush enthusiast on this very forum just gave me the motivation to start working on Ororo real soon.

Chug you do not need to worry about insulting me m8. I am brand new to this, and yeah at times I am a little impatient. I started off with spheres and cylinders and built it up from there. I am still struggling to figure out the best way to do everything I want to, and get the shapes right. I know the Hulk sculpt need a lot of work, but I am going to keep going at it. Thank you so much for your input Chug, please keep it coming m8.

Back