Premium Format Spider-Man ‘Symbiote Costume’ Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't they just do a black variant on the original Spider com. The pose on this thing basically sucks. And they're doing black already.

How in the actual **** are people saying this statue and pose suck...

I don't comprehend it...

This statue is a lot more blue than in the original comics the Symbiote appeared in...first appearing in Amazing Spider-Man 252 I believe? Somewhere around that number...it beat Secret Wars 8 to print by several months. It was one of the earliest trades I bought..."Saga of the Alien Costume". The alien costume was used way less than people think before Peter starting using the cloth Black costume to replace it, switching back and forth for several years in the late 80s.

The art back then used thin blue highlights, not full on shading (like in later years with the cloth costume and Venom) just enough to show Spidey's muscle definition but there was no mistaking in those comics that the alien was black. In full on day light shots it'd be black. So it's really throwing me off here that this statue is so blue...didn't think it would be, but this might be a pass for me. Yeah, simple detail, but it's also $480 for a design choice I'm not keen on. Call me picky if you'd like...you're right, I am. Lol.

ASM-252-01.jpg

Hmmm just noticing in all my years of reading and owning this comic that the back of Peter's right hand in the front panel is miscolored, it should be white.

4140831-amazing+spiderman+256-20.jpg

091.jpg

Yup, this pose is awesome. It's just the base the has ??? over it. I don't really see a better pose anywhere.

I can understand the people not liking the base, but this is by far the best spiderman pose ever done. (Assuming it shows up with no leaning of course.)

I can understand the people not liking the base, but this is by far the best spiderman pose ever done. (Assuming it shows up with no leaning of course.)

That's all just a matter of opinion savage. I personally like the pose on the original COM and the Koto Spidey better than this new PF. That's not to say I don't like the pose on the new PF. I'd rank it just behind the other 2 pieces I mentioned. However, that's just my opinion.

That's all just a matter of opinion savage. I personally like the pose on the original COM and the Koto Spidey better than this new PF. That's not to say I don't like the pose on the new PF. I'd rank it just behind the other 2 pieces I mentioned. However, that's just my opinion.

I even agree that these are opinions. I can see why you like the comiquette better. Another iconic wall crawler pose. But to say this new pose is terrible... It just hurts. :monkey2

This statue is a lot more blue than in the original comics the Symbiote appeared in...first appearing in Amazing Spider-Man 252 I believe? Somewhere around that number...it beat Secret Wars 8 to print by several months. It was one of the earliest trades I bought..."Saga of the Alien Costume". The alien costume was used way less than people think before Peter starting using the cloth Black costume to replace it, switching back and forth for several years in the late 80s.

The art back then used thin blue highlights, not full on shading (like in later years with the cloth costume and Venom) just enough to show Spidey's muscle definition but there was no mistaking in those comics that the alien was black. In full on day light shots it'd be black. So it's really throwing me off here that this statue is so blue...didn't think it would be, but this might be a pass for me. Yeah, simple detail, but it's also $480 for a design choice I'm not keen on. Call me picky if you'd like...you're right, I am. Lol.

ASM-252-01.jpg

Hmmm just noticing in all my years of reading and owning this comic that the back of Peter's right hand in the front panel is miscolored, it should be white.

4140831-amazing+spiderman+256-20.jpg

091.jpg

Depends on who was drawing/coloring the book. Each book that had the costume in it was a bit different
WebOf1_03.jpg

Web_of_Spider-Man_Vol_1_22.jpg

I even agree that these are opinions. I can see why you like the comiquette better. Another iconic wall crawler pose. But to say this new pose is terrible... It just hurts. :monkey2

On that...I agree. This pose is very dynamic and fits the character well. I can't see anyone who's a fan of the character hating the pose. IMO, it looks really good. I do understand peeps hesitation with the pose as far as QC is concerned. It is a leap of faith that this piece won't start leaning over the years to come. Hopefully, SSC builds a quality statue and this piece stands test of time.

Your first image (Web of Spider-Man #1 I believe?) isn't any different than the first panel I posted...blue highlights to show muscle definition, but the whole thing isn't that blue, not like this PF. We'll just have different opinions which is fine. Spidey had 2 solo books back then (Amazing and Spectacular) and wore the Symbiote for less than a year before it later escaped Mr. Fantastic's lab and Peter found out how to defeat it (which was Web #1) so it's pretty easy to track down its original appearances to see what it looked like.

Also, my perception from reading comics, as art became more detailed into the late 80s and early 90s, the usage of blue until there were very minimal things that were actually black became a very wide spread thing. On the other forum (I think) someone posted how they hoped XM Venom would be actual black of the earlier days instead of the blue thing he shortly became. Looking at the time between the Symbiote and the cloth costume's usage is a good representation of this.

Anyway, the second image you posted isn't the Symbiote. That's the cloth costume which often used full on blue shading over blue line highlights.

Depends on who was drawing/coloring the book. Each book that had the costume in it was a bit different
WebOf1_03.jpg

Web_of_Spider-Man_Vol_1_22.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually loving this piece. I can't believe all the comments about a single promo photo....SS always throws all sorts of colored lights on their statues in their photos... we'll see if it really is that blue... I doubt it. Is terminators endoskeleton red and blue? Unlikely :)

400219-product-feature.jpg

"Yea, its all opinion when it comes to artistic object/issues. Original Com still better. Do wish they've given him a nose. This Spider-Man ‘Symbiote Costume’ PF sucks.....muahahahahahaaa." - Evil Minions

I'm actually loving this piece. I can't believe all the comments about a single promo photo....SS always throws all sorts of colored lights on their statues in their photos... we'll see if it really is that blue... I doubt it. Is terminators endoskeleton red and blue? Unlikely :)

400219-product-feature.jpg

Dem neck pistons :slap

Agreed. I'd say this is the next best pose to the Koto but the best 1/4 pose.

Back