Spartacus on Starz (spoilers for US aired episodes!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The showrunners tied everything up neatly because they've decided to jump forward a few years next season.

Historically Spartacus was a formidable tactician but didn't seem to have a long term plan. I wonder how they will prevent the show from feeling like it's meandering...

From what I've read there might have been a couple of end games Spartacus was shooting for. I'm sure the writers can keep the story moving without it devolving into just raiding romans for a a couple of seasons.

I finally saw the ending. SO much loss but loved the fact that I felt closure. I think this is the reason why I really like this series. I don't feel that they are baiting me to watch the next season. Each season provides some sort of a nice closure unlike other crap that's on TV.

Agreed. I really like that both seasons 1 and 2 ended without a cliffhanger. If the series had ended now, it had a good ending.

It's only been one week and I'm already missing Spartacus :(

Just caught up watching this series online. Fantastic season! This show continually delivers top notch story telling and action. I am looking forward to season 3.

Oh and I don't care what a "show runner" says about Ilithyia being dead. It's called misdirection. We had the same thing happen last season with Lucretia. She just passed out. She will be back.

If she isn't dead, it'll be interesting to see what they do with her. Without Glaber, Lucretia or the baby, I can't imagine what purpose she would serve to the story.

Well, I've read the article by Steven DeKnight and he seemed pretty definitive that Ilithyia is dead so I guess it's true.

I have to admit that this is one of those rare instances in this series where I think the writers dropped the ball...badly. They took a strong, villainous woman and gave her a weak send off. They should have either had her die as Lucretia was cutting the baby from her, or have her topple over the cliff after she fainted.

Instead they Padme'd her. :mad:

Well, I've read the article by Steven DeKnight and he seemed pretty definitive that Ilithyia is dead so I guess it's true.

I have to admit that this is one of those rare instances in this series where I think the writers dropped the ball...badly. They took a strong, villainous woman and gave her a weak send off. They should have either had her die as Lucretia was cutting the baby from her, or have her topple over the cliff after she fainted.

Instead they Padme'd her. :mad:

Not really, she was bleeding pretty badly. I don't think anyone would think she could come back, except of how Lucretia "died" and came back. I'd agree that her ending last season seemed far more definitive than Illythia's.

Not really, she was bleeding pretty badly. I don't think anyone would think she could come back, except of how Lucretia "died" and came back. I'd agree that her ending last season seemed far more definitive than Illythia's.

All of Spartacus's women "bit the bullet", he's the Little Joe of television now! :lol

All of Spartacus's women "bit the bullet", he's the Little Joe of television now! :lol

Naevia is the only regular supporting female role left, and since she's a re-cast this show has turned over it's entire female cast.

Yeah, I imagine that must p-ss off a few women who are fans of the show.

This show is not kind to women. The friend of Lucretia they introduced in Gods of the Arena brutally killed. The young slave girl who Naevia sent free repeatedly raped by double penetration then recaptured and decapitated in the arena. Vaaro's wife raped and impregnated off screen, endures the death of her husband at some kid's whim, then gets captured by the romans and almost crucified, rescued but ultimately to die of her wounds later.

Naevia is the only regular supporting female role left, and since she's a re-cast this show has turned over it's entire female cast.

Yeah, I imagine that must p-ss off a few women who are fans of the show.

HA, my wife is a fan of the show and zero ____s are given about the women. She watches it for the same reason men do but for the men rather than the violence.

It's odd that my wife hasn't turned hostile toward the show Spartacus . She was a big fan of the new Battlestar Galactica until the episodes that introduced the Pegasus, but what happened to Six and Boomer made her hate the BSG. Same thing on Dexter, the season with John Lithgow was too much (specifically that first bathtub scene), she now hates that show.

HA, my wife is a fan of the show and zero ____s are given about the women. She watches it for the same reason men do but for the men rather than the violence.

Same here. Whilst it's a shame that Ilithyia and Lucretia are dead, I wouldn't stop watching the show 'cause of it.

It *is* Spartacus after all.....

Started watching Gods of the Arena. Made me realize just how badly I missed Batiatus. John Hannah owns practically every scene he is in.

I've only seen the first two episodes. I felt bad for Metilla and Gannicus when they were forced to have sex with each other for Varis' pleasure.

Yeah, I had no doubt next season would be the last. With the way they cleaned the slate in the finale, it was obvious they were setting up for the final act.

I think it's a good call. After 3 seasons and Gods of the Arena, they would've had a tough time stretching the story.

Same news, but a slightly different interview here:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-ending-spartacus-third-season-332547

I really think that they could've either stretched the final arc over 2 seasons, or even stretched this last season to something more than 10 episodes.

Anyway, it's a bold move ending the show somewhat prematurely when the ratings are superb, but I can see his reasoning from the interview and still greatly look forward to next January. Hell, I'm looking forward to October when the blu-ray for Vengeance is released so I can watch that season again and all the extras.

But on the other hand it means we'll have to watch the demise of our favourite characters sooner rather than later. That saddens me.

I could not get thru all of season 2, so I am somewhat ambivalent to all of this news....ending after 3 seasons is unusual if the series is doing well..

I imagine budget plays a part as well. It can't be a cheap show for a subscription cable channel to produce.

Back