Sounds like Hasbro wants to get back into the SW 12' Game!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think whoever did that interview was full out lying to DePriest, if that even was a real interview they did. I'm not aware of SS ever saying "We won't be pursuing the Fetts or the Droids." And even if Hasbro did take it back, Im sure SS could persuade LFL to divide the license and make it kid range and collector range like Indy.

Sounds like the interviewer is trying to stir some ^^^^ up! What a loser :lol:lol

Okay kids back off from the automatic bashing. (oh wait this is the SW forum). Both the interviewer and the Hasbro guy had some good points.

It's unfortunate that Boba Fett got lumped in there with R2 and the Jawas and saying SSC isn't interested in doing Fett(s) isn't really accurate. What has been said by SSC is that the Hasbro droids are pretty good and thus aren't high on SSC's list of 1/6th to do. I think it's just a miscommunication and SSC will straighten it out. And obviously Hasbro has a list of figures SSC will be doing for the foreseeable future, and they approved that list.

Also it was encouraging that the Hasbro guy recognized that the body they used to do SW figures on wasn't very good. But it's not encouraging that he considers some of the 12" Indiana Jones as "collector" quality.

Had to step away for awhile, got called out to work. My motivation for posting wasn't to stir up ^^^^, just hoping someone would pass this on to SSC and let the grown-ups sort it out. Sounds like you will Dave. Thx!

I talked with several of the Hasbro folks at their party during SDCC and got a chance to see what they thought of SS stuff. They liked it and where like we're glad they're doing it and have no plans to take it back. So needless to say I think this might be a bit of stirring by the interviewer.

But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!!!

After seeing Robot Chicken's version of the "Power Converters," I'll never look at that scene the same way again! :lol

As for the Hasbro thing, SS is right. The droids weren't that bad at all and look just as sharp displayed with SS's figures. C-3PO sits behind Jabba anyhow and if you nailed the exclusive R2 w/Slave Leia, you got the serving tray as well. Hasbro also put out decent (and I use that loosely) versions of Count Dooku and Jango Fett.

I dunno, when I look at the droids from Hasbro I see more cheap, out of scale and old than anything else. I think between SS and HT they could NAIL the droids and again, like the now inevitable clones, have a steady money flow AND monthly PPO's.

In way, I hope Hot Toys gets to do the droids.

Didn't someone in the Marvel Iron Man thread say he spoke with Sideshow reps and they said (in so many words) that they were dumb founded Hot Toys could be so innovative to make something like Iron Man? That kind of talk scares me. As if they were implying the Sideshow artists could never stretch their legs that far.

It was also said that if Sideshow made the Tumbler, it would cost one thousand dollars.

I think it's more exaggeration on the part of SS as HT is both a distribution partner with them and an R&D partner. You don't exactly want to say "Oh yea we could do that cheaper." I think it was more a way for SS to give HT their due and talk them up.

In way, I hope Hot Toys gets to do the droids.

Didn't someone in the Marvel Iron Man thread say he spoke with Sideshow reps and they said (in so many words) that they were dumb founded Hot Toys could be so innovative to make something like Iron Man? That kind of talk scares me. As if they were implying the Sideshow artists could never stretch their legs that far.

It was also said that if Sideshow made the Tumbler, it would cost one thousand dollars.

Did you mean Medicom instead of Hot Toys? I didn't know they made Star Wars. I don't think it works like that. Both companies produced the "smuggler" Han nearly back-to-back. I think it's more of a "what do we want to do next?" kinda thing. And with the 25th anniversary passing, it makes sense that Sideshow and Medicom both would be making ANH figures about now.

Did you mean Medicom instead of Hot Toys? I didn't know they made Star Wars. I don't think it works like that. Both companies produced the "smuggler" Han nearly back-to-back. I think it's more of a "what do we want to do next?" kinda thing. And with the 25th anniversary passing, it makes sense that Sideshow and Medicom both would be making ANH figures about now.

No, he meant HT. They are who helped SS develop the armor process, armor bodies, Promethus body and the are the basis for the new head casting methods being used by SS. So he would rather see HT develop the Droids.. with Medi the only way you would see the droids are probably as VCDs with limited to no articulation. I dunno about you but I want my droids to have some heft and (after much deliberation) MAYBE light up.

Memnoch, you are correct on all counts.

I also agree that the droids need lights. What does C-3PO look like without lit eyes? Turned off. Not lighting them up would be like releasing a human character with shut eyes or unpainted eyes.

I believe the lights are feasible with the droids and even more important for their display. We've seen what Hot Toys can do with characters like the endoskeleton and Iron Man. Of course I had secretly wished Vader would come with LEDs on his belt and chest box. I know I would have paid more than $120 for these features. Iron Man retails at $160 and has lights galore. So we know light up eyes are possible in 1/6 scale. Infact, R2 should be easier to engineer with LEDs than 3PO because of his intrinsic canister shape.

Memnoch, you are correct on all counts.

I also agree that the droids need lights. What does C-3PO look like without lit eyes? Turned off. Not lighting them up would be like releasing a human character with shut eyes or unpainted eyes.

I believe the lights are feasible with the droids and even more important for their display. We've seen what Hot Toys can do with characters like the endoskeleton and Iron Man. Of course I had secretly wished Vader would come with LEDs on his belt and chest box. I know I would have paid more than $120 for these features. Iron Man retails at $160 and has lights galore. So we know light up eyes are possible in 1/6 scale. Infact, R2 should be easier to engineer with LEDs than 3PO because of his intrinsic canister shape.

I think first I'd like to see ANH Versions of the droids. 3PO can come with the light up eyes (just no sound effects). The batteries can be hidden in his back, just take off that grill looking thing and have the battery compartment under there. Throw in a restraining bolt as the exclusive and you're good to go. With R2, do the lights and all, restraining bolt as a standard (both should be magnetic btw) and for his exclusive let it be a standing holo Leia (actually painted this time). Lights for him as well so it can look as though he is projecting Leia.

Sounded like the typical whiney star wars beeotcher.

If Hasbro did start up their 12" line, it would be a big who cares from me. Just like their 12" GI Joes.

These threads makes me laugh. I remember after the first year of releases either here or on RS someone posted an interview with a Hasbro rep that they swore meant that SSC was losing the license and people went ape^^^^.

Lets look at this from a business standpoint. LFL has awarded the license to Hasbro. Hasbro has paid a pretty penny for it and I believe they have it until 2018. SSC is paying Hasbro for "leasing" the license and if I'm correct Hasbro recoups a bit from every figure sold as well. So. Hasbro is earning money off of SSC's R&D, Manufacturing, Shipping and Advertising by doing nothing but making sure that they have a Hasbro emblem on the boxes. Why would they ^^^^ with that? Its not good business sense. Now if SSC figures weren't selling then that'd be another thing.

Also as for Droids look at these old interviews: Here is a quote from Jared Chapman:

Where does that leave you with other non-human figures such as Droids?

Jared: It forces us to get really creative on how we’re going to adapt nonhuman characters on a 12” body. You can have arm extension and leg extensions; all things are possible I think. Development can be a little longer on it and it could affect the SRP on the more complicated figures, but we weigh that on how popular the character is to the fans and if they’ll really enjoy it when it comes out.

[With C-3PO and R2-D2] it’s hard to tell. They’re like Grievous, though not as complicated, they still possess their own unique intrinsic problems. I think they are doable, certainly.

Also here is a snippet from Tom Gilliland

Has there been any additional development in the design of characters such as Chewbacca or C-3PO?
Droids and robots are high on our list, but poor chewie is a bit out in the cold at the moment. We would love to find a great way to represent this icon, but giving him the stuffed animal look would hardly dignify his stature in the SW universe. Until we can get really clever Han will have to go ‘solo’.

From the getgo the Droids were on the list to be done. I remember a different interview with Tom (I can't find it at the moment) where he says if they weren't going to do the Droids they wouldn't have gotten into the Star Wars figures game because they are iconic to the series, that IS the interview I believe where he says that Hasbro has really well done Droids and Robots that can hold over collectors for now.

Its funny that we went from Chicken Little responses to one or two figures to the whole line once again. Its happened twice before and will happen many times over again. :rolleyes:

"Of course I had secretly wished Vader would come with LEDs on his belt and chest box. I know I would have paid more than $120 for these features. Iron Man retails at $160 and has lights galore. So we know light up eyes are possible in 1/6 scale."

I think light-up effects are possible, just not desirable. Looking closely at the HT Iron Man (the Mike), I think he sacrifices a meaningful amount of poseability at the expense of the electronics. It looks like nothing in the way of torso or hip articulation. On the other hand, you may not need Vader to do Bruce Lee posing!!! Just the average 2-fisted salute should do.

"Of course I had secretly wished Vader would come with LEDs on his belt and chest box. I know I would have paid more than $120 for these features. Iron Man retails at $160 and has lights galore. So we know light up eyes are possible in 1/6 scale."

I think light-up effects are possible, just not desirable. Looking closely at the HT Iron Man (the Mike), I think he sacrifices a meaningful amount of poseability at the expense of the electronics. It looks like nothing in the way of torso or hip articulation. On the other hand, you may not need Vader to do Bruce Lee posing!!! Just the average 2-fisted salute should do.

Exactly! Vader is not Maul nor Spiderman so high poseability is not so important. But lights could be cool to have on this figure. That would be the first step on other figures that could have some light effects.

Well we get Vader and Stormtroopers and now the fans have to find something else to complain about not having yet. I guess whoever asked what would be the next thing that people would complain about it is the droids and Fett not being made yet. I really hope these along with a Chewie is made sometime but I really think that trying to bad talk Sideshow like this isnt helping.

Back