Soosoo Toys taken down?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chinese police sometimes do work on these. I don't know what can trigger them, but...
Article Link
Maybe Disney/Marvel/HotToys started sorting things out?

Looks like a different situation there where they were counterfeiting, actually producing pieces and passing them off as legit and original. Even flooding the market with them. I can see where the police would step in for that reason. What SooSoo, Present Toys and the others like them are doing is different.

AFAIK . . . nothing is confirmed or verified as to what actually happened to them.

BUT . . .

There are two rumors / speculations.

1. Disney / Marvel had them shut down. IF and WHEN Disney / Marvel really wants to . . . they do have legal representation in Hong Kong / China with attorneys and private investigators along with law enforcement all courtesy of corporate $ to shut down such operations.

2. The other rumor is as follows. Soosoo Toys have blatantly and openly flaunted their non-licensed products way more than others. In addition, the owner behind Soosoo Toys have a well earned reputation of stealing head sculpts from other sculptors and then claiming it is their own. Soosoo Toys is known for actually stealing works of three well known 1:6 sculptors within the 1:6 hobby community. Furthermore, they also copied many parts from other brands and then try to shop around the small 1:6 manufacturing circle niche in China / Hong Kong who?ll produce their products on the cheap. Speculation have it the individuals and companies Soosoo Toys cheated finally have had enough along with rumors of unpaid money towards production and Soosoo Toys simply went dark.

Take all of the preceding with a grain of salt, but that never stopped y?all from ranting and raving like normal.

AFAIK . . . nothing is confirmed or verified as to what actually happened to them.

BUT . . .

There are two rumors / speculations.

1. Disney / Marvel had them shut down. IF and WHEN Disney / Marvel really wants to . . . they do have legal representation in Hong Kong / China with attorneys and private investigators along with law enforcement all courtesy of corporate $ to shut down such operations.

2. The other rumor is as follows. Soosoo Toys have blatantly and openly flaunted their non-licensed products way more than others. In addition, the owner behind Soosoo Toys have a well earned reputation of stealing head sculpts from other sculptors and then claiming it is their own. Soosoo Toys is known for actually stealing works of three well known 1:6 sculptors within the 1:6 hobby community. Furthermore, they also copied many parts from other brands and then try to shop around the small 1:6 manufacturing circle niche in China / Hong Kong who?ll produce their products on the cheap. Speculation have it the individuals and companies Soosoo Toys cheated finally have had enough along with rumors of unpaid money towards production and Soosoo Toys simply went dark.

Take all of the preceding with a grain of salt, but that never stopped y?all from ranting and raving like normal.

It's almost certainly #1.

Dang! Didn’t they just show “The Boys” Butcher? Disney/Marvel, Warner/DC, and other companies have every right to protect their IP. Although it would be nice if they also realized that some of these companies are meeting a market demand for characters that aren’t being produced by the current license holders, and either require the license holders to produce more characters in order to meet customer demand or award additional licenses. This is such a small drop in the bucket in the scheme of things, but maybe Hot Toys is blaming companies like SooSoo for cannibalizing their sales as opposed to the fact that maybe collectors would like characters besides Iron Man armors, stormtrooper repaints, or teases that are never produced. That said, China has a huge “gray” market and manufacturers want to keep money coming in. SooSoo will probably just re-emerge under a new name and take more care in how they name and market their figures.

Dang! Didn’t they just show “The Boys” Butcher? Disney/Marvel, Warner/DC, and other companies have every right to protect their IP. Although it would be nice if they also realized that some of these companies are meeting a market demand for characters that aren’t being produced by the current license holders, and either require the license holders to produce more characters in order to meet customer demand or award additional licenses. This is such a small drop in the bucket in the scheme of things, but maybe Hot Toys is blaming companies like SooSoo for cannibalizing their sales as opposed to the fact that maybe collectors would like characters besides Iron Man armors, stormtrooper repaints, or teases that are never produced. That said, China has a huge “gray” market and manufacturers want to keep money coming in. SooSoo will probably just re-emerge under a new name and take more care in how they name and market their figures.

--

I enjoy reading the holier than thou opening and ending with, but still the wrong is right response. One must admire the level of duality / hypocrisy evident in this hobby by ALL collectors.

Even the most ardent HT collector quietly buys KOs/unlicensed offerings while publicly claiming they support HT and are against unlicensed products.

Ironically HT got their own start by producing and selling unlicensed figures. So I guess, in a way, by buying both licensed and unlicensed figures, licensed and unlicensed sculpts, licensed and unlicensed custom sets of clothing we are promoting the industry and insuring the life of the hobby.

If ALL collectors had such a self righteous view of themselves way back then when Hot Toys started out I wonder if the 1/6th market would be half as popular as it is now.

--

I enjoy reading the holier than thou opening and ending with, but still the wrong is right response. One must admire the level of duality / hypocrisy evident in this hobby by ALL collectors.

Even the most ardent HT collector quietly buys KOs/unlicensed offerings while publicly claiming they support HT and are against unlicensed products.

I make no pretenses about being an ardent HT supporter. Yes, I’ve bought an absurd amount of HT figures, but I?ve also purchased Toys Era, SooSoo, and other unlicensed figures, as well a good number of very expensive customs (some of which have later been knocked off and sold for a fraction of what I paid). That’s no secret. I completely understand why HT doesn?t want to produce every B-list, C-list, or D-list character on the team roster when they can make 5x as much on a Batman or Spiderman, or 10x on another Iron Man. Their business strategy has been very successful. That said, it shouldn?t come as a surprise that HT’s success in growing the 1:6 market, coupled with collector demand for additional characters, has created a niche opportunity for unlicensed producers and customizers. Just look at some of the Marvel, DC and Star Wars “wish list” threads — not to mention several other underserved licenses they hold like Aliens, Terminator, Predator, and The Matrix. There’s simply no way Hot Toys can meet that demand. Sure I’d prefer to just buy licensed figures, but if the licensees don’t produce certain characters either because they don’t think they’ll sell enough or they don’t have the bandwidth, I’ll absolutely buy the UL figures. It’s not about saving a few $ by purchasing cheap knockoffs, it’s about filling in lines because oftentimes that’s the only way to get certain characters. I would also venture that Hot Toys is somewhat accepting of the fact that unlicensed and custom figures are a reality of the marketplace until and unless they perceive them as impacting sales, or when unlicensed figures of characters that are on their radar screen start popping up.

My main point above was that given collector demand, it would be great to either see HT subcontract out parts of their major licenses to 2-3 smaller companies to produce B-tier and C-tier characters, environments, creatures and vehicles, or for Marvel, DC and Star Wars to award 1 or 2 additional 1:6 licenses to create some much needed competition in the marketplace.

It’s kind of ridiculous for folks to point fingers at UL companies like SooSoo and ToysEra as if they are this shady underside of the collectibles industry and committing some heinous crime against mega corporations. These are tiny companies producing maybe 300-400 figures per that are simply taking advantage of a niche opportunity, putting in the work to produce decent quality products, and trying to make some money in the process. And yes, that’s how HT started.

Last edited:
Are they back?

Toys wonderland sent an email to preorder Butcher. Maybe I got an old message.

Anyone notice that Timcent doesn't have Hot Toys figures listed on his site anymore - well, literally just the past few days?

https://www.toysbuyingagent.com/

One rumour has it that he's been banned because he also sells certain unlicensed figures.

Their website went down hard a few days ago. I'm wondering if they're still in the process of getting everything back up again and that's why the HTs aren't there?

I make no pretenses about being an ardent HT supporter. Yes, I’ve bought an absurd amount of HT figures, but I?ve also purchased Toys Era, SooSoo, and other unlicensed figures, as well a good number of very expensive customs (some of which have later been knocked off and sold for a fraction of what I paid). That’s no secret. I completely understand why HT doesn?t want to produce every B-list, C-list, or D-list character on the team roster when they can make 5x as much on a Batman or Spiderman, or 10x on another Iron Man. Their business strategy has been very successful. That said, it shouldn?t come as a surprise that HT’s success in growing the 1:6 market, coupled with collector demand for additional characters, has created a niche opportunity for unlicensed producers and customizers. Just look at some of the Marvel, DC and Star Wars “wish list” threads — not to mention several other underserved licenses they hold like Aliens, Terminator, Predator, and The Matrix. There’s simply no way Hot Toys can meet that demand. Sure I’d prefer to just buy licensed figures, but if the licensees don’t produce certain characters either because they don’t think they’ll sell enough or they don’t have the bandwidth, I’ll absolutely buy the UL figures. It’s not about saving a few $ by purchasing cheap knockoffs, it’s about filling in lines because oftentimes that’s the only way to get certain characters. I would also venture that Hot Toys is somewhat accepting of the fact that unlicensed and custom figures are a reality of the marketplace until and unless they perceive them as impacting sales, or when unlicensed figures of characters that are on their radar screen start popping up.

My main point above was that given collector demand, it would be great to either see HT subcontract out parts of their major licenses to 2-3 smaller companies to produce B-tier and C-tier characters, environments, creatures and vehicles, or for Marvel, DC and Star Wars to award 1 or 2 additional 1:6 licenses to create some much needed competition in the marketplace.

It’s kind of ridiculous for folks to point fingers at UL companies like SooSoo and ToysEra as if they are this shady underside of the collectibles industry and committing some heinous crime against mega corporations. These are tiny companies producing maybe 300-400 figures per that are simply taking advantage of a niche opportunity, putting in the work to produce decent quality products, and trying to make some money in the process. And yes, that’s how HT started.

I'll never get mad at the unlicensed companies for providing product! They're just doing what Hot Toys is "failing" to do and that is....giving the people more of what they want; in less wait time I might add.

All the while, their quality and practices get better. Hopefully one day, one of them becomes really legit and gets actual licensing to rival Hot Toys. That way the market can be more diverse in product, competitive (lower) in pricing and said newcomer will have already had plenty of practice in making figures in the marketplace.

Anyone notice that Timcent doesn't have Hot Toys figures listed on his site anymore - well, literally just the past few days?

https://www.toysbuyingagent.com/

One rumour has it that he's been banned because he also sells certain unlicensed figures.

Someone posted in another thread somewhere that they thought it was Sideshow getting annoyed at them poaching US customers, but then also that it had something to do with the promo photos and that's why ToysWonderland doesn't use the official promo photos on their site too. Hopefully everything returns to normal for TBA soon.

Someone posted in another thread somewhere that they thought it was Sideshow getting annoyed at them poaching US customers, but then also that it had something to do with the promo photos and that's why ToysWonderland doesn't use the official promo photos on their site too. Hopefully everything returns to normal for TBA soon.

I'm sure SS went after the promotional photos as a technical means to try and scare them and shut them down because in reality SS is only a distributor in the US/Europe and therefore has no say in anything in the Asian markets. Because in reality SS has no legal say in stopping people from selling HT merchandise and it's ludicrous that they're even attempting to try and do so!

Back