Son of Dengar's Den of Stuff.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah the nightmare of getting scale right in 3D prints. I feel your pain !

Devil is in the detail as they say.

A little tip: take a head that you know you scaled right and place it next to your new print in the slicer and scale after that. Then remove the other head and your print should be pretty much correct.

Hopefully you get the scale right soon! Great work as always!

Thanks so much guys! I?m glad you dig it! And thanks for the tip Talibane! I?m trying that now. After it?s at the right size, I gotta treat the head with a bit of Magic Sculpt before I cast it. Incidentally, if anybody wants a copy hit me up. When it?s ready I?ll have a few.

My friend who owns the printer is a childhood friend of mine and we?re working on a few things. The Bane Malar helmet is next up. I just really love these helmets. I got the Star Wars costume book and the way they?re showcased in there is pretty damn awesome.

And much like Rusty, we started thinking about droids a while back. I made a preliminary design in CAD for BGJ-38?s arms and legs. Seeing as how my buddy is a jewelry designer, he has a hookup to cast them in brass before we make a resin copy. I?ll have pictures later, as they should be arriving in the mail today!

A little tip: take a head that you know you scaled right and place it next to your new print in the slicer and scale after that. Then remove the other head and your print should be pretty much correct.

Yes I've done that. But moreso when I had forgotten afterwards which model was which model.:slap

Definitely worth including scale percentage in the filename !

But a really nice feature in Chitubox to be able to overlay models on top of each other.

Scale percentage is in the file name from now on. Dear lord. :monkey4

My friend and I have been making major progress with our efforts to make a BG-J38 1/6 figure kit! Like I previously stated, he's a jewelry designer so getting pieces casted in brass is not a problem. My plan was to cast resin pieces after I make a mold using the brass. I just think it'll be best for the mold to imitate the look and feel.

I didn't show my original designs for the legs here as I was really trying to focus on learning how to do this. Here's some screenshots of the leg and arm work.

IMG_9929.jpeg

IMG_9979.jpeg

And here are the brass pieces assembled! I used tiny M2 Phillips screws to link the parts together and emulate droid mechanics as much as possible.

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_9986.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

Incidentally if anyone has any notes or ideal changes that should be done to the sculpt, please let me know. I'm working from limited photos and I know some of you on here can find the most amazing and obscure reference photos (cough, cough, Talibane! cough) LOL

Here's my latest work on the rest of the body.

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

698048BF-B5B8-4D40-BD4A-90BA4321B165-13976-000008D5C29EB1E1.jpg

That's looking spectacular SOD! Hope you're thinking about doing his poker machine too.

And no, BGJ is one of those characters where there are literally a couple of pics and that's it, and none that show the head or chest from the front. Doesn't seem like they ever took any good quality ref/merchandising pics of the prop.

There is a pic floating around that shows the prop crew working on EV and a droid that people identify as BGJ (due to the vague head shape and what appears to be the insect-like mandibles at front.) It could be an unfinished 8D8 without the face shell placed over the mechanics - mandibles being the tip of the chin and some mechanics extended outward for installation - but the arm at right does seem to match the specifics of BGJ's arms, but it's kinda blurry.

The pic on the left is what many believe to be BGJ under construction. If this is BGJ, then BGJ has the same torso as 8D8 - which is what I believe.

01t7ETJ.png

The upper arm just below the shoulder has what appears to be two large hex plastic plumbing fixtures, which BGJ has, versus a finely ribbed fixture on 8D8. The forearms do not match BGJ, but it's possible the twisted pattern seen on BGJ was a sleeve added later.

2z85FGB.png

I'm not sure where Hasbro got the design for the unique chest they did for their BGJ figure. You can see that the pectoral line is higher on the prop than on the toy (arrows,) and in the same position as 8D8 has. As set out below, I believe BGJ has the same torso as 8D8, not a unique torso.

CEf58Rd.png

I believe BGJ's torso/chest is at least 3/4 the same as 8D8's. All the points line up.
JQYzLFa.png

kDTmnJE.png

The arms/shoudlers on BGJ are 3/4 the same as 8D8. The arrows show where the differences are. The fatter cylinder below the lowest arrows appears slightly different between the two droids (coarser on BGJ vs 8D8,) but the pics' blurry so could be the same.

GJp4DnC.jpg

The forearms are different to 8D8, appears to be a slightly twisted looking pattern almost vaguely like chain links.

ZaHKTtL.jpg

That's looking spectacular SOD! Hope you're thinking about doing his poker machine too.

And no, BGJ is one of those characters where there are literally a couple of pics and that's it, and none that show the head or chest from the front. Doesn't seem like they ever took any good quality ref/merchandising pics of the prop.

There is a pic floating around that shows the prop crew working on EV and a droid that people identify as BGJ (due to the vague head shape and what appears to be the insect-like mandibles at front.) It could be an unfinished 8D8 without the face shell placed over the mechanics - mandibles being the tip of the chin and some mechanics extended outward for installation - but the arm at right does seem to match the specifics of BGJ's arms, but it's kinda blurry.

The upper arm just below the shoulder has what appears to be two large hex plastic plumbing fixtures, which BGJ has, versus a finely ribbed fixture on 8D8. The forearms do not match BGJ, but it's possible the twisted pattern seen on BGJ was a sleeve added later.

The pic on the left is what many believe to be BGJ under construction. If this is BGJ, then BGJ has the same torso as 8D8 - which is what I believe.

01t7ETJ.png

I'm not sure where Hasbro got the design for the unique chest they did for their BGJ figure. You can see that the pectoral line is higher on the prop than on the toy (arrows,) and in the same position as 8D8 has. As set out below, I believe BGJ has the same torso as 8D8, not a unique torso.

CEf58Rd.png

I believe BGJ's torso/chest is at least 3/4 the same as 8D8's. All the points line up.
JQYzLFa.png

kDTmnJE.png

The arms/shoudlers on BGJ are 3/4 the same as 8D8. The arrows show where the differences are.

GJp4DnC.jpg

The forearms are different to 8D8, appears to be a slightly twisted looking pattern almost vaguely like chain links.

ZaHKTtL.jpg

Damn Tali, you?re on fire! [emoji122]

Tali coming in hot with all the best references! I swear Tali is secretly George Lucas, Dave Filoni, Pablo Hidalgo, or all three!

SoD, you're absolutely on fire too with this droid, excellent work! Seems like you could easily make an 8D8 with some minor tweaks *wink wink*

I thought I was a Star Wars fan. Which movie was this guy in ?

He's one of the droids in Jabba's Palace. "BG-J38 served Jabba the Hutt as his personal dejarik and hologames droid and was known as one of Tatooine's best gamblers."

Here's some more progress. I'm still tweaking this but I think it's getting closer! Repositioning the head some still.

IMG_1784.jpeg

Super obscure for sure! But that's what I love about the palace and the Cantina, so many brilliant characters packed into such a small space! I just bought a gallon of Vytaflex to cast these pieces! It's supposed to be the best silicone to use for emulating concrete and metals.

And I just had the Brock Starsher helmet cast again. This one should be a better size!

IMG_1768.jpeg

So for this droid kit I was not sure how to attach the parts but I'm gonna try a ball joint system for the head and arms. Not sure about the legs yet. I know I want it to be posable but I'm not sure how much it needs to be. Anyways here's the latest progress shots.

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

Not sure how you've planned the ball joints. But you can use off the shelf ankle extender joints.

Getting the interference in the ball joint is not easy if designing from scratch (ask Sideshow :lol . Plus you need a material which will give a bit, but be strong enough. So sometimes easiest just to use the pre-moulded ones and make an hex adaptor hole accordingly.

Back