Somehow Rey Returned

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully the new Rey movie will be fully inclusive and include dialogue for a modern audience:
419732445_778557847650290_6219534060666335959_n.jpg

I look at TESB Luke battling Vader and the image of old man Luke drinking frothy green milk directly from a sea monsters disgusting droopy tit pops up behind my eyes.
Boba is talking back to Vader "he's worth a lot to me" then suddenly, a flash of "like a Bantha".
Star Wars is just hell to me now.
Thankfully I'm still able to keep them easily separated. Of course having nice copies of the original theatrical editions helps. If I heard Temeura's voice in ESB then yeah I'd probably have bantha riding Sarlacc faceplanting Fett flashbacks as well.

Those two versions of Star Wars are as different to me as The Batman and Batman & Robin are with each other, or T1 vs Dark Fate, ALIENS and Alien: Resurrection and so on.

Thankfully I'm still able to keep them easily separated. Of course having nice copies of the original theatrical editions helps. If I heard Temeura's voice in ESB then yeah I'd probably have bantha riding Sarlacc faceplanting Fett flashbacks as well.

Those two versions of Star Wars are as different to me as The Batman and Batman & Robin are with each other, or T1 vs Dark Fate, ALIENS and Alien: Resurrection and so on.

Oh it's been so long since I last watched the original cut of Star Wars.
The special editions/DVD/Bluray updates aren't all bad. The tidying up and smoothing out etc. I'm not opposed to the additions to Cloud City either.
But the Greedo shooting first, then shooting together in the next tweak. That awful CG Jabba in ANH. Lucas also got carried away with adding CG creatures and vehicles in the Mos Eisly scenes. The horrid CG dance number in RoTJ. Vader's "nooooooooooooo" *shudder*
It just goes on and on.
Give me an original, just clean it up. Keep the various puppets, Han shoots first etc etc.

Oh it's been so long since I last watched the original cut of Star Wars.
The special editions/DVD/Bluray updates aren't all bad. The tidying up and smoothing out etc. I'm not opposed to the additions to Cloud City either.
But the Greedo shooting first, then shooting together in the next tweak. That awful CG Jabba in ANH. Lucas also got carried away with adding CG creatures and vehicles in the Mos Eisly scenes. The horrid CG dance number in RoTJ. Vader's "nooooooooooooo" *shudder*
It just goes on and on.
Give me an original, just clean it up. Keep the various puppets, Han shoots first etc etc.
You need to pick up Star Wars Despecialized or 4K77/4K83. Despecialized is the OT with all the SE film restoration plus removal of matte boxes and transparencies (but NO CGI or scene alterations) and 4K77 and 4K83 are SW and ROTJ scanned from restored 35mm prints and then transferred to blu-ray/4K. Last I checked 4K80 (ESB) wasn't quite finished yet but you can get the Despecialized version.

You can order them from etsy. Just search for those terms I mentioned above.

The Ronto. Those silly 'rats'. The droid (carrying a useless thing) hitting a hover-bot. And the terrible cue of Williams music that they chose to use. All congeals in a strange "cut-scene" that never blends very well with anything from 1977.

The king of abominations is still ANH Jabba. And the completely repeated dialogue from the Greedo scenes only moments ago. I mean, if you're going to add the Jabba scene, then trim down the dialogue in the Greedo scene before it (he only got all that garble because the Jabba scene was originally cut).

I wonder how JAWS would look if Steven went back and replaced all the barrel shots with a CGI shark gnawing and chewing eagerly?

ScoutingForToys nailed my own list of pros and grievances with the Special Editions/DVDs/BluRays.

The Ronto. Those silly 'rats'. The droid (carrying a useless thing) hitting a hover-bot. And the terrible cue of Williams music that they chose to use. All congeals in a strange "cut-scene" that never blends very well with anything from 1977.

The king of abominations is still ANH Jabba. And the completely repeated dialogue from the Greedo scenes only moments ago. I mean, if you're going to add the Jabba scene, then trim down the dialogue in the Greedo scene before it (he only got all that garble because the Jabba scene was originally cut).

Yeah, always found that jarring as hell and wondered how Lucas was OK with it. His definitive version of his own film has the same dialogue in 2 different scenes...and scenes so close together. Weird.

Yeah, always found that jarring as hell and wondered how Lucas was OK with it. His definitive version of his own film has the same dialogue in 2 different scenes...and scenes so close together. Weird.

I know, and he fixes the "who shot first" that no one wanted, but is OK with the double-dialogue? Would have been simple to trim the middle of Greedo's exposition. That just shows you where his head was then -- its all about the visuals, the toys, the merch at that point.

And another goofy thing about that scene is that when Jabba says "Han my boy" over and over we hear Jabba's voice say something to the effect of "Han me bookee" indicating that supposedly "bookee" means "boy." But in ROTJ Jabba calls Luke "boy" in the subtitles but doesn't say bookee so they couldn't even be bothered to keep the "Huttese" consistent. The least of that scene's problems I know but annoying nonetheless.

I wonder how JAWS would look if Steven went back and replaced all the barrel shots with a CGI shark gnawing and chewing eagerly?
"Smile you son of a *****!" (throws walkie-talkie at the tank)

Wish that was still the case for me. I can't look at anything Star Wars, even the OT, without seeing a rapid slideshow of all the horrors Disney has wrought upon us.
It's like Cenobite Kathleen Kennedy is telling me she has such sights to show me, whilst beaming choice clips from the ST, BoBF, Kenobi, Mando season 3 and Ahsoka into my brain.
I look at TESB Luke battling Vader and the image of old man Luke drinking frothy green milk directly from a sea monsters disgusting droopy tit pops up behind my eyes.
Boba is talking back to Vader "he's worth a lot to me" then suddenly, a flash of "like a Bantha".
Star Wars is just hell to me now.
Really sorry to hear that😕 Maybe some distance and time will change that.
I lived through the personally crushing disappointment of the prequels and had a bit of a break. Then getting to watch the OT with my kids rekindled the spark a lot, seeing it through their eyes. Then the sequels came to diminishing returns, then the Disney shows. I’ve cleared out almost every last bit of Mando merch so I’m back to just the OT in the collection.
It’s different for everyone, I guess.

You need to pick up Star Wars Despecialized or 4K77/4K83. Despecialized is the OT with all the SE film restoration plus removal of matte boxes and transparencies (but NO CGI or scene alterations) and 4K77 and 4K83 are SW and ROTJ scanned from restored 35mm prints and then transferred to blu-ray/4K. Last I checked 4K80 (ESB) wasn't quite finished yet but you can get the Despecialized version.

You can order them from etsy. Just search for those terms I mentioned above.
Yeah, I gotta get on those. Sounds like the next best thing. I like the idea of giving a passionate fan my cash over Disney now that I think about it.🤘

Just look at the rerelease of E.T. With the cg “enhancements”. I’m just glad Spielberg decided to throw that version out.
Also, any cg version of Jabba (and Hutts in general) have looked atrocious. That hulking, wobbling puppet still trumps the new versions to me.

Really sorry to hear that😕 Maybe some distance and time will change that.
I lived through the personally crushing disappointment of the prequels and had a bit of a break. Then getting to watch the OT with my kids rekindled the spark a lot, seeing it through their eyes. Then the sequels came to diminishing returns, then the Disney shows. I’ve cleared out almost every last bit of Mando merch so I’m back to just the OT in the collection.
It’s different for everyone, I guess.
I remember before Disney's desecration of Star Wars, it was a wonderful geek driven franchise for nerds, nerds who became fathers to pass to their sons.

It's gone...No one talks about Star Wars like they used to. This, the loyal nerds who passed it on, lasted for about 30 years and it was burned in a matter of 5 years. Not everyone is a Star Wars fan but the same people who liked Harry Potter, liked Twilight, liked the Hunger Games, like Disney's Star Wars and desecrated the franchise. They didn't really like Star wars, but the propaganda of how it was for everyone. They wanted to change it for/into the current thing.

When that propaganda wore off, they moved on to whatever ESG/Corporate/CIA/Communist talking point there was for the next thing...Marvel

With Marvel finished, there will be some other trend that will take over now...and they will pretend to be fans of it, and the corporations will mistreat the loyal long term fans in the guise of equality, equity and untapped sales...which are never there. Perhaps Videogame movies are next or the return of 80's-esque action movies with now lower budgets(compared to StarWars/Marvel) and full CGI to explain hosw a 100lb soaking wet feminist in mascara and high heels can overpower a 300 pound 6'6 grown man.

And another goofy thing about that scene is that when Jabba says "Han my boy" over and over we hear Jabba's voice say something to the effect of "Han me bookee" indicating that supposedly "bookee" means "boy." But in ROTJ Jabba calls Luke "boy" in the subtitles but doesn't say bookee so they couldn't even be bothered to keep the "Huttese" consistent. The least of that scene's problems I know but annoying nonetheless.

"Smile you son of a *****!" (throws walkie-talkie at the tank)
This is not usually brought up as a prime unwelcome change but I hate the dialogue alteration in ESB when R2-D2 is spit out by a Dagobah swamp monster Luke’s original line was, "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

The SE changed it to, "You were lucky to get out of there."

Ugh so bland and not as brilliantly witty.

That being said ESB SE is the least offensive as it all comes down to how one feels about the dialogue changes between Vader and the Emperor altering who knew what and when regarding Luke.

Fett’s voice also remains a non starter for some when it comes to accepting ESB SE as their version.

Vader’s “Alert my star destroyer” is not as bad as Fett’s alteration but a tone killing change nonetheless.

Ughh I need a drink now lol

This is not usually brought up as a prime unwelcome change but I hate the dialogue alteration in ESB when R2-D2 is spit out by a Dagobah swamp monster Luke’s original line was, "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

The SE changed it to, "You were lucky to get out of there."

Ugh so bland and not as brilliantly witty.

That being said ESB SE is the least offensive as it all comes down to how one feels about the dialogue changes between Vader and the Emperor altering who knew what and when regarding Luke.

Fett’s voice also remains a non starter for some when it comes to accepting ESB SE as their version.

Vader’s “Alert my star destroyer” is not as bad as Fett’s alteration but a tone killing change nonetheless.

Ughh I need a drink now lol
Those line alterations were maddening.
“Bring my shuttle” was said with such anger. Vader was pissed. Now he sounds like he’s collecting his shuttle from a valet 😕

Yeah, I gotta get on those. Sounds like the next best thing. I like the idea of giving a passionate fan my cash over Disney now that I think about it.🤘
You really should. The Despecialized Editions are already (It's still a work in progress) better looking than what was projected in cinemas back in the 70's and 80's. Which is more than I personally ever expected to get, even out of a future official Lucasfilm release. The DE's are guaranteed to make you feel 100% indifferent towards Disney's apparent lack of progress.

Back