Solo: A Star Wars Story

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25th, 2018)

They should CGI in a young Harrison Ford for the entire movie just for China. He's more attractive than the new Han.

Lol why just for China? Should do it for the whole world

Also just saw this, first sneak peak reaction, though he sounds like a complete schill:

3B8B6779-ED57-4BBB-8ED0-E48BD9CA50AF.jpeg

Also just saw this, first sneak peak reaction, though he sounds like a complete schill:

View attachment 387979

Can that guy be any more of a DISNEY FANBOY!! Reads like someone who works internally for Disney would write... Actually if you google him he has an IMDB listing. He's a writer/director... :lol

Already trying to suck green milk from Kennedy's teets...

Just a joke based on those reports of China finding TLJ actors not attractive enough.

I would of course, as would most SW fans probably, love it if they had gone that route and remade a young Ford like they did with Russell in GOTG V2, but don't think the technology is there to have the lead in a movie done like that.

Nope... No one uttered that line at all in TLJ.. Why keep a 40 year old, 8 movie tradition going?? Rian wants everything his way, and Kennedy is on board with her boy & yes man. Oh, Disney, so sad....

The Wilhelm scream is something many directors have done as a homage to film as it's been used since it's 1st recording in 1951. It's a tradition. Many directors insert it to keep the tradition going. Rian Johnson doesn't follow tradition. He's above that and better than all the directors that have come before him. I guess your not really a film fan if you think it's stupid. My son once noticed it and asked me and I told him the story behind the sound. He now looks for it in every action movie we/he watches. It's a fun easter egg. Sorry you don't approve, especially since you actually think TLJ is a fun movie.

And yes, it is in RO.... "There is a 'Wilhelm Scream' found at the start of the Rebel Attack on Jedha. A grenade is thrown in front of the armored transport, followed by a number of Stormtroopers being shot (timestamp 00:31:20). During that initial gunfight you can hear the start of the classic 'Wilhelm Scream' but cut short by gunfire." Gareth Edwards actually cared enough to keep the tradition going.

Yes I'm well aware of not only the origin of the Wilhelm scream but also how ridiculously over-used it has become over the years. It used to be a fun little SW/Indy thing but now it's been done to death even to the point of TV cartoons aping it. It just isn't clever anymore and I'd love for it to be retired for good (thank God it's inaudible in RO and MIA completely in TLJ.)

You're free to demand that these movies recycle every last bit of minutiae from the previous films but some things that work when repeated multiple times within one film ("you've lost" in RO or "I've got a bad feeling about this" in the OT) do NOT necessarily work when spread out over 8-20 films (Arnold's "I'll be back" is another example.) It was very wise of Gareth and Rian to recognize that those two bits were played out a long time ago.

Just a joke based on those reports of China finding TLJ actors not attractive enough.

I would of course, as would most SW fans probably, love it if they had gone that route and remade a young Ford like they did with Russell in GOTG V2, but don't think the technology is there to have the lead in a movie done like that.

That would be cool, but Harrison Ford wouldn't have been on board anyway. He's the only original cast member completely happy... He's wanted Han dead since 1980!! He's smiling and laughing at us.. :lol He probably has no intention of ever seeing Solo, but I'm sure he'll release a comment that says how great and "beautifully done" it is..

Yes I'm well aware of not only the origin of the Wilhelm scream but also how ridiculously over-used it has become over the years. It used to be a fun little SW/Indy thing but now it's been done to death even to the point of TV cartoons aping it. It just isn't clever anymore and I'd love for it to be retired for good (thank God it's inaudible in RO and MIA completely in TLJ.)

You're free to demand that these movies recycle every last bit of minutiae from the previous films but some things that work when repeated multiple times within one film ("you've lost" in RO or "I've got a bad feeling about this" in the OT) do NOT necessarily work when spread out over 8-20 films (Arnold's "I'll be back" is another example.) It was very wise of Gareth and Rian to recognize that those two bits were played out a long time ago.

The majority of moviegoers have no to little idea of what the Wilhelm scream is. It's in over 150 films. Like I said, it's a fun little easter egg and inside joke for those in the know. SW movies/directors are a very small contributor. Even most directors enjoy the fun in including it. Guess your not into any family traditions either? :( It's just another warm and comfortable feeling.

I do agree on recycled lines though. Using "I have a bad feeling about this" once in every movie is a nice throwback. It doesn't need to be said multiple times, but at least once is enjoyable. What I'm tired of is the new "Hope" tag line. Anyone count how many times it's been used in Disney's 3 films?? :slap

The majority of moviegoers have no to little idea of what the Wilhelm scream is.

Gonna have to call BS on that one. Everyone might not know the name "Wilhelm" but there's no way the sound itself is unknown to most movie-goers at this point in time.

It's in over 150 films. Like I said, it's a fun little easter egg and inside joke for those in the know. SW movies/directors are a very small contributor. Even most directors enjoy the fun in including it. Guess your not into any family traditions either? :( It's just another warm and comfortable feeling.

Sheesh, nice straw man.

I do agree on recycled lines though. Using "I have a bad feeling about this" once in every movie is a nice throwback. It doesn't need to be said multiple times, but at least once is enjoyable. What I'm tired of is the new "Hope" tag line. Anyone count how many times it's been used in Disney's 3 films?? :slap

I'll give you that one with regard to "hope." I think it became a current "thing" in the superhero movies (maybe even kickstarted by MOS, ick) and is probably Hollywood's desperate attempt to come up with a non-divisive theme. So I get why they're doing it but it's becoming like the "555" phone prefix of movie themes. Kind of code for "insert whatever theme YOU believe in here."

This film is riskier than any other SW type of film.

Ford’s wit and charm is what made his character so iconic. This new guy will need to be one hell of an actor to match it.

Naw, it will have Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Stormtroopers, Young Boba Fett and the Falcon. Peps will eat it up.

It's like The Last Jedi, where at first it gives off the appearance of being a riskier gamble full of new ideas.

Then you realize it's actually just Disney playing it extra safe once again.

Wait so going against what 99% of TFA fans were expecting and waiting on for 2 years was safe?!

Rolling the dice risking a backlash is not playing it safe.

Now some tried to sell TLJ as being fresh and not copying from ESB as TFA did ANH but DiFabio already debunked that and proved that TLJ copied not just ESB but also ROTJ.

But to call what Disney did with TLJ as safe is just flat out wrong it was everything but safe.

Stupid, maybe but definately not safe.

Last edited:

Wait so going against what 99% of TFA fans were expecting and waiting on for 2 years was safe?!

Rolling the dice risking a backlash is not playing it safe.

Now some tried to sell TLJ as being fresh and not copying from ESB as TFA did ANH but DiFabio already debunked that and proved that TLJ copied not just ESB but also ROTJ.

But to call what Disney did with TLJ as safe is just flat out wrong it was everything but safe.

Stupid, maybe but definately not safe.
TLJ is safe in that it does some new interesting unsafe stuff, but then by the end of the movie completely undermines that and goes back to the same old we've seen.

It's like a bait and switch. They're putting some bold ideas out there (ones I don't like, but that's besides the point), and instead of committing fully they just pull those ideas back.

And yeah, it definitely takes a lot of elements from ESB and ROTJ, movies we know and are familiar with. Thus TLJ is safe and not really doing anything new.

I still stand by that it gives off the perception that it's unsafe and new and different, but looking more into it you realize it's not.

Odd's are Han Solo was a real ass hole in his past. He was a gambler, smuggler, and scoundrel. None of these are heroic qualities. He changed in ANH when he found people who trusted and valued him and found a family and something he believed in to fight for. Thing's he most likely never expected. He was a loner (except for Chewie initially due to a life debt that did grow into a true friendship). In no way can we expect Disney to portray Han in 'Solo" to his true personality and origins. They have to turn him into a charismatic likable character since it is a "family" film. I just want to see it for all the cool stuff that will be shoehorned in there since it takes part in the OT's history. After TLJ, I'm not expecting to walk out thinking it was a great movie, but hopefully I'll favor it more than the latter. I'm also in no rush to see it opening preview night, or perhaps even opening weekend. The 1st time I feel that way ever about a SW movie. I'll see it eventually. And maybe be able to add some cool OT era merchandise to my collection.

TLJ is safe in that it does some new interesting unsafe stuff, but then by the end of the movie completely undermines that and goes back to the same old we've seen.

It's like a bait and switch. They're putting some bold ideas out there (ones I don't like, but that's besides the point), and instead of committing fully they just pull those ideas back.

And yeah, it definitely takes a lot of elements from ESB and ROTJ, movies we know and are familiar with. Thus TLJ is safe and not really doing anything new.

I still stand by that it gives off the perception that it's unsafe and new and different, but looking more into it you realize it's not.

So it's safe by not being safe. Would you specify for me what parts were unsafe that were made safe? I am not following you.

So it's safe by not being safe. Would you specify for me what parts were unsafe that were made safe? I am not following you.
I mean they introduce interesting ideas that aren't safe, but then in the latter half of the film they go back on them and in the end just return to safe ideas.

For example, look at what they were doing with Rey and Kylo, and Luke to an extent. They were introducing a compelling idea in a grey area of light and dark. They toy with the idea of Rey and Kylo joining together to bring the light and dark into one. This is something we haven't seen before and is new.

However, they end up essentially going back on this and returning to light side vs dark side once again, with even Luke himself deciding to be good again. Kylo and Rey are once again in opposition and that grey aspect is ignored. Why introduce something like this when you aren't going to follow through with it?

What I've been saying is that Disney showed some new more risky storypathes, but got cold feet and returned to the dull plotline we have seen countless times.

Disney safe is "can this be shown on freeform?"..lol

Back