Soldier Story - 1/6 Ghostbusters Collectible Figures (1984 & 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only TWO of the original GB are being made? Any release pics of the two from the new film or are those scrapped???

These are inferior to BW in just about every way.....

Phew...until this post I was actually beginning to think that I was losing my mind...or at least my eyesight...thank you for confirming that I am not the only person seeing what I am seeing when I look at the pictures of these figures :)

Phew...until this post I was actually beginning to think that I was losing my mind...or at least my eyesight...thank you for confirming that I am not the only person seeing what I am seeing when I look at the pictures of these figures :)

yup your eyes ain't the problem. SS definately 100% inferior to BW just by looking at the brand alone.

I dunno the SS egon looks better then the blitzway egon but then again id really need to see the production piece rather then the prototype to tell the real difference. I think the SS peter is a bit off and agree he does look a bit like tarantino. You could always get the 3 blitzway ghostbusters and get the ss egon though.

So fully licensed without a doubt?

Dave was adamant the license holder had told him SS didn't have the license and the figures shown were bootlegs.

Yeah, seemed like back a couple of months ago it was just you, me and a couple of others stating the obvious - "Hello?! These are can't possibly be bootlegs!":lol

SS has been a trusted brand for like a decade, so the idea of shutting down the thread due to bootlegs was just crazy. There was nothing at all about the whole SS GB presentation that suggested bootlegs. I hope Dave follows up with his Sony contact on that bit of wrong info.

Egon definitely looks more on point from Soldier Story than Blitzway, but Venkman looks meh. As much as I like the Slimmer in the four pack, I might hafta piece my ideal set together.

The SS Egon does seem to capture him better than the BW - and seeing how Durden came out (which seems to have burst the BW perfection bubble,) my guess is side-by-side, the production SS and BW figs will be close to the same quality. While SS did have an issue with slightly undersized heads, they've also had close-to-HT paint apps and sculpt detail for years.

The SS Venkman does have the Jason Clarke/Quentin T thing going, but even the BW Venkman has a fairly underwhelming likeness to me, which leads to...

Is anyone going to start a thread to petition JNix for a decent Bill Murray sculpt?

:exactly:

Yeah looking at the BW Venkman with fresh eyes many weeks later, there's just something a bit weird and off about it. It's beautifully detailed of course and captures him better than the SS, but when you actually put it up next to a pic of Bill Murray from the movie it doesn't work nearly as well. Much like with Egon the face seems a bit too wide and the details a bit too pronounced or something.

Both Snyderman's custom and Trevor Grove's HCG sculpt capture him a lot better, I think.

These are inferior to BW in just about every way.....

Eh not every way, but I'd say as an aggregate whole, the BW figures are better based on prototype pictures.

I wish the BW Egon sculpt had the SS expression, but I think the BW Egon sculpt bears a better likeness and is sharper in detail. Based on what I see in the pictures, I also prefer the packs of the SS figures.

Won't really know for sure though until final products are released.

If these are significantly less in price (which I don't imagine they would be), these would be a more than suitable alternative though for those who don't want to drop 400 plus for two BW figures, or 600-800 bucks for 3 or 4 figures. If they're relatively the same in price, I'd go with the BW ones.

Yeah looking at the BW Venkman with fresh eyes many weeks later, there's just something a bit weird and off about it. It's beautifully detailed of course and captures him better than the SS, but when you actually put it up next to a pic of Bill Murray from the movie it doesn't work nearly as well. Much like with Egon the face seems a bit too wide and the details a bit too pronounced or something.

Both Snyderman's custom and Trevor Grove's HCG sculpt capture him a lot better, I think.

That Trevor Grove sculpt is probably the only one that really screams Bill Murray to me. He is easy to get "roughly" right (shape of face, hairline etc.) but it's really tough to get that subtle Bill Murray likeness and attitude.

The BW one reminds me of so many HT sculpts - likeness a little weak but unbelievably realistic sculpt detail and paint making it seem amazing. It's really nice, I have it on PO (hoping for tweak), but it just doesn't nail Murray to me.

The issue is - what if the GB heads come out like Durden, which is still very nice, but the drop in sculpt detail and paint quality is noticeable?

Gear and packs look better in the SS offering.

And boots (maybe you include them in gear.)

Eh not every way, but I'd say as an aggregate whole, the BW figures are better based on prototype pictures.

I wish the BW Egon sculpt had the SS expression, but I think the BW Egon sculpt bears a better likeness and is sharper in detail. Based on what I see in the pictures, I also prefer the packs of the SS figures.

Won't really know for sure though until final products are released.

If these are significantly less in price (which I don't imagine they would be), these would be a more than suitable alternative though for those who don't want to drop 400 plus for two BW figures, or 600-800 bucks for 3 or 4 figures. If they're relatively the same in price, I'd go with the BW ones.

It will be interesting to see how the price plays out for the SS ones. If SS was smart, they'd price theirs in the $185 area to widen the gap with BW to closer to $40 - they're trying to make their break into high end licensed lines.

People don't seem to get just how good SS's human heads are in terms of detail and paint, and have been that way for years, and they've been doing stellar gear/outfits for longer than HT. SS's bodies from 5+ years ago are superior to Sideshow's best bodies from today.

Really interested to see how these come out.

The issue is - what if the GB heads come out like Durden, which is still very nice, but the drop in sculpt detail and paint quality is noticeable?

Moderate your expectations and prepare yourself for this now because it's normal and therefore likely to happen (notwithstanding any changes Blitzway makes in response to the Durden kerfuffle).

Moderate your expectations and prepare yourself for this now because it's normal and therefore likely to happen (notwithstanding any changes Blitzway makes in response to the Durden kerfuffle).

Well, Durden is still way better than a Sideshow fig of him would have come out, I think there was a mystique/prefection about BW that for me got a little burst.

I think we're really lucky to be able to choose.

:exactly:

After no quality GB in 1/6 it's like a feast now.

Whomever release first will win, I believe. Nobody wants sloppy seconds

Maybe. You also will get people -- and lots of 'em here -- that will be willing to wait-and-see knowing there's a back-up.

I don't expect either Soldier Story or Blitzway to knock these out of the park. There's going to be problems with both offerings.

Well, Durden is still way better than a Sideshow fig of him would have come out, I think there was a mystique/prefection about BW that for me got a little burst.

Yeah, Tyler is really close to being okay, in my book. But being in Europe, he's like 260 Euros, and he's not that good. I REALLY hope the GB will be better, otherwise I'll skip those as well. I don't know Soldier Story, but people here says they use great bodies and I'm sure that they'll try like crazy to perfect the sculpts. This could be their way in, to play in the big league. BW could have been a contender to HT but blew it with Tyler. SS will not battle HT, but they can make damn sure that collectors will remember their name if they deliver on these. Same if they fail :)

Back