So....I've jumped the shark (in collectors terms)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocktrooper_au

Super Freak
Reaction score
I guys last night I decided, to move some of display in order to give my baby girl the spare room for a bedroom. Now what I now realised is that I've jumped the shark in terms of collecting, not only do I have way to much to display, but I suddenly realised I have massively more then I could possibly want to display unless I wanted to go Stan Sansweet style (which I don't) . I was really quite depressed about how much I have and how much I don't really want. so this morning I rearranged some more inorder to make room for another new package :rolleyes: and decided it's time to cut the fat from my collection even repacking some of my 1:6 SSC figures , from now on it's quality over quantity..

So heres the question what have you guys done to clear unwanted collectables or what have you done to resolve the clutter issue, did you sell? ebay? garage sale? give them away or have a big fire in the back yard:google ..

Help me guys your my only help!

So heres the question what have you guys done to clear unwanted collectables or what have you done to resolve the clutter issue, did you sell? ebay? garage sale? give them away or have a big fire in the back yard:google ..

All of the above.

Clutter sucks. Quality over quantity, for sure.

And your baby girl needs her own room more than you need a bunch of SW junk, right?

I haven't sold any of my stuff...yet. I have cut back on my purchases however. I don't have clutter because what I do display is not. However, I do have a portion of my garage taken up by boxes. If that's clutter than I have clutter.:sick

I think everyone hits that point eventually. I did about a year ago and ebayed off a lot of stuff and gave away some. I am much more happy with the quality over quantity path.

I would at least try to sell. Depending on what you have it may not be worth the effort, but if you can get some money off it, why not. Maybe buy your little girl something for her new room with it. Or use it for a new collectible... :monkey3

I haven't reached that point yet either. I've got two items I don't want anymore (but I have no clue how to get rid of them). And there are four others that I may eventually part with to make room for other things. Honestly I've just been lucky that so much of what I've bought is all stuff I don't want to part with. I've also considered cutting down my Bond figures, but I really don't want to.

When you've been collecting, it's very easy for things to pile up. I once had my entire attic and a spare bedroom filled with boxes. Now my philosophy is if you can't display it, get rid of it.

Selling off a ton of stuff is cathartic. You might question yourself for selling something you've had for a long time, but in the end it feels great.

I usually sell on here, every once in a while I sell on ebay. It definitely feels great selling stuff. At first you are nervous but once you sell it and realize you didn't need it, it is a great feeling.

Im hammered with too much stuff but am not wanting to sell stuff at a loss, or worse stuff i still like.
Whats worse, clutter and boxes or getting rid of stuff you want (and might buy again) at a loss just to free up space?

Thanks guys, thats what I,m feeling, I've got guilt because I have so much stuff, I don't want to be a hoarder,yet I have the compulsion to keep the stuff that has been in my garage for years, it's ridiculous, I'm lucky I realised at this stage I guess.
My plan for next year is If I can't or don't want to display it it goes!

with christmas right around the corner ,toys for tots man. youll be clutter free and alot of kids will be filled with joy! i did that with a 12 yr collection. all my star wars figures, xmen, lotr. .. thousands! feels great :)

with christmas right around the corner ,toys for tots man. youll be clutter free and alot of kids will be filled with joy! i did that with a 12 yr collection. all my star wars figures, xmen, lotr. .. thousands! feels great :)

Even better idea.

Thanks guys, thats what I,m feeling, I've got guilt because I have so much stuff, I don't want to be a hoarder,yet I have the compulsion to keep the stuff that has been in my garage for years, it's ridiculous, I'm lucky I realised at this stage I guess.
My plan for next year is If I can't or don't want to display it it goes!

sell or give away your first item or two, and you'll realize it's not really that big of a deal. too many people in this hobby hold on to things that they really dont need.

Wow! That is nice of you. I don't think I could do that.

sell or give away your first item or two, and you'll realize it's not really THAT big of a deal. too many people in this hobby hold on to things that they really dont need.

:lecture

Once you start, you'll find it's easy to let go.

I've been enjoying and getting into 1:6 more and more over the last couple of years . I have every Sideshow SW 1:6 piece MIB as well as Indiana Jones thus far . This year I decided I was missing out buy not having some loose stuff to play with and display so I went back and bought almost half of the SS SW mostly Reg versions to open.

With that I found myself running out of space and then it hit me. I was getting very bored and disenfranchised with SW Hasbro stuff over the last year or so. I got tired of all the room its been taking up and just didn't enjoy it as I once did . Plus prices have almost doubled since the line has been reentroduced so I decide to sell close to 60% of my Hasbro collection. I sold almost all of my MIB ships to Brians Toys as well as a good amount of figures. I returned all of my comic packs and most of my doubles to Walmart for store credit and used that to buy groceries or a dvd here and there.

I have picked up a few Hasbro figures recently but I've been limiting myself to 1-2 figures per wave and stuff I really want. Sideshow stuff is also much easier to collect since only 10-12 pieces come out per year and you have anywhere from 4 months to over a year to get the money together.

Next weekend I'm building more shelves for my MIB and newly aquired loose SS figures . This will also allow me to have more space for future SS releases . I have two more coming in the next 2 weeks already.

When you've been collecting, it's very easy for things to pile up. I once had my entire attic and a spare bedroom filled with boxes. Now my philosophy is if you can't display it, get rid of it.

Selling off a ton of stuff is cathartic. You might question yourself for selling something you've had for a long time, but in the end it feels great.

:lecture:lecture:lecture This man speaks the truth. Main reason why I always force myself to sell some stuff before buying something else.

Need to make space

Back