So....I've jumped the shark (in collectors terms)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love hoarding stuff.

Send it all to me and I'll keep it hidden in an attic for years, gathering dust, while I sit in an old rocking chair on the porch, rubbing my hands together, and going, Mwah Haaa Haaaaaaaaa!

shocktrooper au, what u have is actually a good problem, not a bad problem.

good problem = too many sw collectibles.

bad problem = too few sw collectibles.

:D

anyway, the best is to take heed of the great jedi master yoda's advice...

"learn to let go of all that you fear to lose."

the point is i think that if you consider it to be clutter you need to sell it. otherwise box it up, put it in the loft nice and safe and then in twenty years time when you and your daughter are rummaging around in the loft and find those now rare and expensive pieces you can sell them for her college fund! simples!

ahh, nice advice guys, believe me Darthgothikus if I lived near you I'd have my ute packed & ready to hand over to ya! I have some nice gear which I'm happy with and want to keep, there's just the stuff that we all out grow & it's all packed away mostly in cupboards & the garage, though there are a few loose bits & bobs which just kill me to look at now (lol the reason they are loose is because they where the pinnacle of my collection just a couple of years back)

OOOWWW it's a horrid feeling you are feeling (guilt)..... But at the end of the day your daughter will bring you more happiness than any dolly!

I to have far too much stuff, so I am thought I would sell it on e-bay! Then I realised that I know some many geeks and freaks that would love this stuff (mainly Darthgothikus) so I would rather give it away. Yes I could do with the money but I would rather give the stuff to friends than make a few pennies!

I love collecting stuff, but really try to think "Do I want this, need this or am I just collecting this?"

I think I just love making stuff and photographing it.

As for what to do with your stuff... do you need the money? If not then, for me, giving it away is by far the most satisfying thing, then comes selling it on the forum, then finally e-bay

My god! did I just make that first post in my sleep??? I have been feeling the exact same way!!! My problem is I have all my SS stuff upstairs along with a few Gentle Giant busts and my 1/72 finemolds Models. In my basement though, are all my small hasbro and small ships for them, a ton of comics and 2 of nearly every Hasbro 12" figure. Not to mention the big ass pile of boxes saved for all my high end stuff. Oh, and all my Kotobukiya models.

I already made room for my 4 week old Daughter, I sacrificed my MR Falcon to the basement(if THAT aint fatherly love, I don't know what is). I KNOW I have to sell some stuff. I want to convert to 'collection room' in the basement to display area, but I'm not sure how I should sell my figures.

What would sell better? Boxed or reboxed 12" Hasbro figures? I am quite aware that even breaking even on them is going to be tough. Except for about 4 Koto's, I'm getting rid of all of them, along with several other toys I probably shouldn't have bought in the first place.

Your thoughts?

I think everyone hits that point eventually. I did about a year ago and ebayed off a lot of stuff and gave away some. I am much more happy with the quality over quantity path.

I've hit that point several times in the last 20 years of collecting :D

Acquire, purge, acquire, purge. Seems to be an endless cycle with me.

My god! did I just make that first post in my sleep??? I have been feeling the exact same way!!! My problem is I have all my SS stuff upstairs along with a few Gentle Giant busts and my 1/72 finemolds Models. In my basement though, are all my small hasbro and small ships for them, a ton of comics and 2 of nearly every Hasbro 12" figure. Not to mention the big ass pile of boxes saved for all my high end stuff. Oh, and all my Kotobukiya models.

I already made room for my 4 week old Daughter, I sacrificed my MR Falcon to the basement(if THAT aint fatherly love, I don't know what is). I KNOW I have to sell some stuff. I want to convert to 'collection room' in the basement to display area, but I'm not sure how I should sell my figures.

What would sell better? Boxed or reboxed 12" Hasbro figures? I am quite aware that even breaking even on them is going to be tough. Except for about 4 Koto's, I'm getting rid of all of them, along with several other toys I probably shouldn't have bought in the first place.

Your thoughts?

I think I'm going to give away my small 12" hasbro's to my young nephew sort out the smaller hasbros (keep my vintage sell the rest),
I might put my Medi & kotos figs on the boards (maybe even for trades, nice just not my thing, kinda bought them because everyone was raving about them) everything else not on display willl have to ebayed or trashed. It's not a good feeling my wife & I spent a lot of time chasing these suckas years back. :banghead Of course I'll keep the nicer stuff,my limited 1:1 collection, weta helms & try to focus my collection a bit more.

I'm in the process of that transition myself. Definitely limiting my collection to more museum quality pieces that I really, really like. Most of my 1/6 stuff is heading out the door via ebay. My HT Iron Man figures will probably be the only 1/6 figures I keep. I'm migrating back to statues and quality PFs, etc. and even then will be highly selective about what gets added for display. It would be nice to be wealthy enough to own a home large enough to dedicate a singe room for displaying your action figures, but I'm not there yet. Perhaps someday...

Great idea to give your nephew the figures. Maybe box everything up for a while and see what you miss.

I just focus on ANH stuff and I love medicom stormies. I hope to get into sculpting and customising stuff. But I atm there really arn't any figures that I want.

When you've been collecting, it's very easy for things to pile up. I once had my entire attic and a spare bedroom filled with boxes. Now my philosophy is if you can't display it, get rid of it.

Selling off a ton of stuff is cathartic. You might question yourself for selling something you've had for a long time, but in the end it feels great.

Yup. The HT Tumbler is the only thing I have that is not on display.

And as always, buy what you want.

Everything in my collection is something I wanted 100%. If it's something that I kinda wanted or would be nice to have, it was passed on.

I know how you feel. I haven't downsized yet, but i'm getting to the stge where i'm going to have to pretty soon. I really need to get myself in order. I don't think that i could ever get rid of it, but i do need to find some kind of perminant long tern storage solution. (I'm looking into getting some of those plastic stacking crates.

I've found that It's the the big purchases that make you ealise just how much stuff you have. But it's the little purchases that are getting me into trouble. I went food shopping the other day and left with a Star Wars and Clone Wars annauls, a packet of Clone Wars sweets and 10 little Star Wars bubble gums. Crikey!! I don't even like bubble gum.

I did a similar thing. I gave up on collecting Prequels so all my figures, statues and PT stuff I sold, traded or donated to family and friends. I focused on OT Imperials (with some EU Imperials exceptions) and thus no more tons of boxes laying around and stuff that I don't enjoy anymore.

About 95% of my collection is on display now, the only problem is that it is separated in 2 parts: some are at the apartment where I live now and some at the new house. Next year I'll bring all of them to the new house and that will be my happy day.

Anyway if you decide to get rid anything in your collection, think twice about that, because not once I've seen people on forums being sad they sold off a certain item and then trying to get it back.

:D

1251a3d.gif

being a collector for years i know the feeling. christ if i had kept everything i had bought i would need two rooms to display!! i have now learnt to focus on specific stuff only which is why my collection is only going to contain hot toys, and alien predator stuff. everthing else is just going to have to be eye candy, although i do like the ss spiderman 3 stuff and the new wendigo and some of the new bowen stuff.......damn!

selling stuff for pennies on the dollar is tough. I prefer to keep my stuff and rotate it in and out. the only time i get rid of stuff is when i give it away. i'd rather see something I paid $50 or more in my nephews' hands or to a charity than feel like a fool for only getting $25 for it plus eating $10 in shipping costs.

I recommend thinking about toys for tots charity or something. If cleaning space is cathartic just imagine how it feels knowing a needy kid got an awesome gift.

Yeah my nephew will be happy ( his list was rather short so I may ad a lego AtAT to the list since he's more into lego then SW)

I would do the rotation thing except I really think whats on display is the cream of the collection in fact I'm now struggling to fill my last cabinet with what I'd call quality collectables (which is depressing in it self, since I have a garage & a cupboard of stuff to choose from)

Rotating just seems like so much work. I have a hard time getting myself motivated to dust and that's so much easier than rotating. Plus I'm so indecisive I'd never be able to choose what to put out first.

I've reached the same point. I'm enjoying the look of SW PF figures more so now, and have decided to DRASTICALLY scale back my 1/6 SW collection. I'm not totally phasing out 1/6, as SS and Hot Toys make some GREAT 1/6 figures...and they don't take up as much room as PF's...but I have to be more selective to have a 'broader' collection, rather than nearly every 1/6 Star Wars figure ever made.

That way I can have some Indy figs, Ghostbusters, HT Wolverine, HT ALIENS, HT Iron Man, HT Robocop, SS LOTR, SELECTED SS SW...and still hopefully have room to fit it all...rather than a curio full of 200 1/6 Star Wars figures! :rolleyes:

Back