Life Lessons: Delayed Gratification

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I feel as if collecting 1/6 scale has provided me life lessons in re-calibrating general expectations and life priorities long term. This year, I moved cross country, sold my old apartment and bought a new house as well as a car. The amount of coordination getting all those individual tasks done to arrive at a bigger accomplishment was staggering, but par for the course in these Covid times. Now, my wife has a brand-new job and I feel as if I have a new lease on life. I think this could have gone a very different way if I was not mindful of the practice of delayed gratification that is inevitable in 1/6 collecting.

Once I commit to purchasing a figure, even if I will not have it in hand for another 2 years, I continue to consider how I am going to display it, light it, or modify the figure. I guess you could call that the emotional build-up of delayed gratification. I started applying the planning characteristics,, consideration and mindfulness inherent within my approach to collecting 1/6 to aspects outside of my collecting life, and it has made it a much smoother ride.

Over the years in this hobby, I have heard many people complain about delayed gratification in assembling their collection. For me, once I stopped seeing the ways of dealing with delayed gratification as an inconvenience, It got me to enjoy the hobby even more. But don't get me started about FOMO, the evil stepbrother of delayed gratification. Over the years FOMO has made me make some really stupid purchases.

I feel as if collecting 1/6 scale has provided me life lessons in re-calibrating general expectations and life priorities long term. This year, I moved cross country, sold my old apartment and bought a new house as well as a car. The amount of coordination getting all those individual tasks done to arrive at a bigger accomplishment was staggering, but par for the course in these Covid times. Now, my wife has a brand-new job and I feel as if I have a new lease on life. I think this could have gone a very different way if I was not mindful of the practice of delayed gratification that is inevitable in 1/6 collecting.

Once I commit to purchasing a figure, even if I will not have it in hand for another 2 years, I continue to consider how I am going to display it, light it, or modify the figure. I guess you could call that the emotional build-up of delayed gratification. I started applying the planning characteristics,, consideration and mindfulness inherent within my approach to collecting 1/6 to aspects outside of my collecting life, and it has made it a much smoother ride.

Over the years in this hobby, I have heard many people complain about delayed gratification in assembling their collection. For me, once I stopped seeing the ways of dealing with delayed gratification as an inconvenience, It got me to enjoy the hobby even more. But don't get me started about FOMO, the evil stepbrother of delayed gratification. Over the years FOMO has made me make some really stupid purchases.
Interesting, you mention mindfulness and acceptance which is very important. Ultimately life should be about the enjoyment and well-being you feel, and it's great that you relinquish the control that certain things have on you. Some people just go from one purchase to another, barely thinking about enjoying it as they're off to the next acquisition. Taking your time and enjoying everything you can is a great way to be

Back