Small_Studios Painted Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Small_Studios Figure Gallery

Before
IMG_0408.png

After
IMG_0410.png

Very well done.:banana This looks ten times better then the factory paint job. I hope we see more of your work on SideShow products!

Sometimes the paint is even MORE important than the sculpt in regards to likeness. :peace

That said, it's definitely not common for anyone (sculptors included) to get comp samples of Sideshow product that they've worked on these days. In fact I've been ordering my own copies for a couple years now.

Thanks for poping in Andy :peace I just went back and looked through some of your work on your website. I hope i can get my hands on more of your sculpts. :lol That unproduced Billy Sole is pure awsomeness.

Before
IMG_0408.png

After
IMG_0410.png

Very well done.:banana This looks ten times better then the factory paint job. I hope we see more of your work on SideShow products!

My goodness, that looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andy: that is soo wrong you guys have to buy your own stuff....!!!!!

Sometimes the paint is even MORE important than the sculpt in regards to likeness. :peace

That said, it's definitely not common for anyone (sculptors included) to get comp samples of Sideshow product that they've worked on these days. In fact I've been ordering my own copies for a couple years now.

Really? Dang that sucks! You guys should at least get 1 for your work!

And paint really does help, but even Josh can't turn a Habro figure into a Sideshow figure. You sculptors provide them with a wonderful pallette to work with. Don't sell yourself short! Heck, you are still my favorite sculptor out there! :rock

And by your avatar I'm guessing you did Beachhead too? I didn't see your name listed under the artists for him :confused:

Ok guys here is Sideshows Storm Trooper Luke. I actually really like this sculpt. I think it captures Hamills likeness pretty well. Trevor did a great job on him. Factory paint wasnt that bad on him suprisingly just needed a bit more detailing.

Before
IMG_0408.png

After
IMG_0410.png

IMG_0414.png

WOW Josh, is that my Stormy Luke head??? Looks 100 million times better!!! Can't wait to see how 'smirking' Han ends up too!

:rock :rock :rock

Thanks for poping in Andy :peace I just went back and looked through some of your work on your website. I hope i can get my hands on more of your sculpts. :lol That unproduced Billy Sole is pure awsomeness.

Your work rocks man! It would be a privelege to see more of my work get the Small Studios treatment.

Buttmunch- I'm not too sore about the sample situation... Sideshow produces SO much product, and there are many, many talented folks who contribute to each one... If they were to comp everyone who deserved it, they would lose money (especially considering many product editions are already so incredibly limited sometimes). But I do miss the days where it was standard practice. ;) Also, yes I did sculpt Beachhead. The artist credit system on Sideshow's website is not exactly a well oiled machine, sometimes names get overlooked and sometimes no credits are shown at all. I know they try to recognize everyone but it's hard to keep track with so many products always in the pipeline.

Sorry to hijack the thread... Back to the regularly scheduled paint worship! :clap

Ok the next sculpt always makes me laugh alittle inside each time i see it. It almost looks like Han got hit with a blaster up side his head. Its ashame a few of the sculpts ended up looking like this but here is a before and after of Storm Trooper Han.

Before
IMG_0409.png

After
IMG_0428.png

Ok the next sculpt always makes me laugh alittle inside each time i see it. It almost looks like Han got hit with a blaster up side his head. Its ashame a few of the sculpts ended up looking like this but here is a before and after of StormTrooper Han.

Before
IMG_0409.png

After
IMG_0428.png

WOW Josh! You turned ole drunken googly-eyed Han into a masterpiece! I can almost hear him saying "No reward is worth this..."

AMAZING!!! :rock :rock :rock

Dude, That Han is AMAZING!!!!!!! Thanks, Josh!!!!

Josh, question: given that these were produced in a skin tone hue (if you call pumpkin orange a hue), were these any more difficult to work on that the other SS heads? Just curious?

The first Han sculpt SS did (and repainted by Josh) is truly amazing, but this sculpt totally captures the smart ass character Solo was in the first one...and lord, that paint job truly brings out the awesome sculpt!! Gotta pinch myself!!!

Last edited:

Dude, That Han is AMAZING!!!!!!! Thanks, Josh!!!!

Josh, question: given that these were produced in a skin tone hue (if you call pumpkin orange a hue), were these any more difficult to work on that the other SS heads? Just curious?

The first Han sculpt SS did (and repainted by Josh) is truly amazing, but this sculpt totally captures the smart ass character Solo was in the first one...and lord, that paint job truly brings out the awesome sculpt!! Gotta pinch myself!!!

Thanks Matt. I love this sculpt as well. Very great Ford likeness. As for the paint it didnt pose any problems. I strip them of their original paint anyway each time. Funny thing even though he was cast in a flesh color they still sprayed him with a slightly different color flesh tone.:lol

LOL @ the before pics! had never seen this sculpt yet! Great likeness, but TERRIBLE paint app lol, you did a great job though Josh!

WHOA Josh. Glad I stumbled in here today! Your paintwork is masterful. I can't believe that Mark Hamill....you took the sculpt to a new level completely!

Your work on the Firefly set will undoubtedly make me weep openly....and motivate me to move my butt on a couple of the other characters!

Trev

My lord, cant wait to see those Firefly all painted up........

Josh: thanks on the paint question. Weird about the flesh tone paint...! SS factories can work in mysterious ways sometimes!!!!

WHOA Josh. Glad I stumbled in here today! Your paintwork is masterful. I can't believe that Mark Hamill....you took the sculpt to a new level completely!

Your work on the Firefly set will undoubtedly make me weep openly....and motivate me to move my butt on a couple of the other characters!

Trev

:bow:bow Thanks Trev and this coming from the master himself:monkey3 That Hamill might be one of my favorite Star Wars sculpts from SS. Very well done sir:peace

Wow, never saw the goggly-eyed Han before... that first image is hilarious. And the repaint is masterful as always; just again highlights how important the paintwork is.

Ok the next sculpt always makes me laugh alittle inside each time i see it. It almost looks like Han got hit with a blaster up side his head. Its ashame a few of the sculpts ended up looking like this but here is a before and after of Storm Trooper Han.

Before
IMG_0409.png

After
IMG_0428.png

Wow! That original was horrible! Totally wonky eyes! :google

Another fantastic fix :rock

Back