SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an airbrush for the dreads. I went over it with a light gray, making it more solid gray at the ends, and then went back over it with a dark, almost black color to break it up a bit, and make the roots darker like they are in the movie.

ok, damn no airbrush, you think I can achieve something close to this w/ some drybrushing some layers?

That would be a slower way to go, but that could also work, and you might get more precise detail. My only concern going that route would be that the paint would go on thicker and maybe end up cracking as the dreads are bent into new poses. An airbrush applies paint so finely, that that isn't as much of a concern. Also, use paint with a good bonding agent. Acrylic paint will be most likely to crack and peel off, but you could add a bonding agent to it.

That would be a slower way to go, but that could also work, and you might get more precise detail. My only concern going that route would be that the paint would go on thicker and maybe end up cracking as the dreads are bent into new poses. An airbrush applies paint so finely, that that isn't as much of a concern. Also, use paint with a good bonding agent. Acrylic paint will be most likely to crack and peel off, but you could add a bonding agent to it.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of bonding agent ?

If it's real leather, get it wet and stretch it, but try to keep the tension on it while it dries. If it's a soft plastic, heat it with a hairdryer and stretch it. Let me know how that works.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of bonding agent ?

I use Aeorflash Colorless. It has a great bonding agent, but anything you add to paint will dilute the pigment and make it more and more translucent, so always test your applications on something you don't care about like a scrap piece of something made of similar materials. Aeroflash will also give it a bit of a sheen, so a clear flat primer like Army Painter is also handy, which can double as a sealer.

Just finished painting this custom diorama built by Anzik and lighted by DarthViper for the Mal for Nathan Fillion Project over in the Whedonville section spearheaded by Trevor Grove and myself. Anzik did an amazing job making this out of nothing but styrene.:clap

Diorama01.jpg

Deck01.jpg

Deck02.jpg

DoorDetail1.jpg

DoorDetail2.jpg

MalonDeck.jpg

MalonDeck1.jpg

Wow man... that diorama is amazing!!! Mal will be getting one hell of a 1/6 version of himself :rock :rock

Hopefully he doesn't turn around and sue everyone for copyright infringement :lol

I know... just being funny :lol I have a feeling his mind will be blown; especially after the horrid figures and busts that have already been released of him :lol

Irregardless, you are very, very talented. I love seeing some of the work you've posted on here. I was just looking at your 1/6 Jason Voorhees from part 3 you painted up. OUTSTANDING work, my friend! I mean, I have more artistic ability than your average person, but members like you are my envy. You guys kinda make me wish I would have pursued a career in some form of art for a living, but I whole-heartedly have zero regrets about the choices I have made in life.

Keep up the gorgeous work, my friend, because I know I enjoy seeing it!

Amazing work bud. Really breathes new life into an already awesome figure.

Back