Signature banners are in danger of being deleted!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely understand about the poor souls still on dial up; for example, page #2 of this thread has .8 MB of unique signature photos and that isn't even counting avatars, smilies, and board widgets! That equates to 8 minutes to load the page completely at 28.8 speed. I never really used a signature banner before and mostly had text and a smilie or two, but recently I discovered UserBars and was very intrigued by them and have been playing around with some. I just checked my current one and was surprised to see it was 160KB or so! Now that is because is it animated and has 10 individual UserBars in it. If I reduce the number or remove the animation, it would be much lower. Several boards have gone to allowing UserBars only, as they are limited to 350x19 pixels. Doesn't sound like much, but I have seen some amazing things done in such a small space! I am not suggesting Dave only allow UserBars; just that they may be an alternative for some people. Anyway, I think if Dave will give us a guideline on a file size he would find acceptable, I for one will certainly abide by it, and hope others would as well. Just my two cents...

I have DSL and run a 1536 Kbps, so it has never bothered me. I personally love seeing different sigs and animated gifs. I think it adds a lot of "personality" to the user.

I guess for those running on dail up its a bummer, but you cant really limit them to much. Its not fair to the people who are not on dail up. As it is also not fair to dail up users to have 3 or 4 gif sigs.

I think the current limits Dave has set forth in his first post is pretty fair to all involved.

So, this has turned into a "let's bag the people who have broadband.." thread?? :lol :lol

How many people HONESTLY have something "useful" in their sig anyway?? I know of a couple, but, look, if you are complaining about sig size...turn them off.(Not you though, almighty Dave.:bow) ....What do you people on dial-up do on other web pages??? Tell amazon.com to stop using animated gifs etc.:monkey5

Oh...and my sig is 500 x 150..So, that's OK right Dave?

King Darkness said:
...I think the current limits Dave has set forth in his first post is pretty fair to all involved.

I agree as far as width/height, but as for file size, he just said keep them way, way down. What does he consider to be "way, way down"? Are we talking 20KB or less, under 100KB, or just so it doesn't hit 1MB? :rotfl Like I stated, I was surprised to see mine was 160KB which I think is starting to get on the large size; the "beheaded" .gif (and I am not picking on it, just that it is the largest in this thread) is 475KB. A couple of those loaded from different servers and you are pretty much at 1MB to download. I too am on broadband and never even noticed the signature sizes because the pages load pretty much instantly (except for big picture threads!), so I do agree there has to be some give and take between dial up and broadband.

The Evil Dark Lord said:
The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 488.3 KB

I think it should be relative to the file size of your avatar. So less than 488 Kb should be good. That really isnt that much. Is it?

488 KB is nearly 1/2 a MB. My first computer had a hard drive that could only hold 40 MB. That's 80 sigs.

But I was going to say 450KB should be the upper limit for the full sig, not just one of the 10 pictures in a sig. At that size I figure most pages will load pretty much instaneously on my connection.

Sounds good to me, especially as the "upper" limit. Most will not come close to that size, so a normal page shouldn't be too long at loading.

snakebeater said:
valid point dave... and the kurgays, dude we know you want a kurgay figure!! sideshow knows it... the gnaysayers know it... how many sigs do you need?

Do you need a signature for Medicom... we already know you like it! I mean jeez, dude we get it :lol

poop.jpg

Back