Sideshow's Dinosauria Styracosaurus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scar you should do some youtube vids about these pieces when you get them. That way you could not only critic and give us your review of the piece itself but educate us in the process........ALL IN FAVOUR SAY "I"..

Chris

:lol Not a bad idea, actually. I may yet do youtube reviews. My problem is time. Hell, today was a Saturday, if I'm not mistaken, and I still ended up woking 7:30 am to 9:00 pm. So much for weekends, I guess... If I have the time when the Carnotaurus comes out, it's definitely something I'd consider doing. :duff

Videos reviews from scar would :rock

I always enjoy reading your thorough posts about these pieces and videos would be even better!

:lol Not a bad idea, actually. I may yet do youtube reviews. My problem is time. Hell, today was a Saturday, if I'm not mistaken, and I still ended up woking 7:30 am to 9:00 pm. So much for weekends, I guess... If I have the time when the Carnotaurus comes out, it's definitely something I'd consider doing. :duff

I know what you mean Scar. I was supposed to be off today and wound up working all day instead. :duh

YouTube reviews sound cool. I'd watch.

Yea, I checked yesterday around 6:30 or so and it said sold out. Doesn't surprise me that it sold out this quickly.

Another little bit of information gleaned from the site - the Carnotaurus maquette no longer says a release date of sometime in Q3. Now it's been mercifully narrowed down to July!!!!! :rock:chew:banana

July...why that's only a week away. So we should be getting notices soon. :rock

I know what you mean, I just got the Darth Vader notice in an e-mail, but that being said as much as I love Vader, I'm sooooo much more ludicrously excited to have the Carnotaurus. Any time is good for me, I have relatively little on order at the moment, but I can see how it could come as a surprise to many... a very pleasant surprise to me. :banana:D:banana

Hey guys, I was just noticing recently, and have been coming to the realization, of a few things that are really dumb and kind of annoying.......something I never really thought about until recently when looking for some good Dino reading material.

Now I myself as a kid LOVED Dinosaurs, and I read tons of books on them and was completely fascinated by them. However, this began to fade as I grew older and moved onto Junior High, High School, ect. But now as an adult I find myself really loving them as much as did when I was kid and even more so now because I can fully understand how amazing these creatures were and incredibly how intriguing there time on earth was. (which was an insanely long time by our standards)

So anyway, In light of all the new Dino pieces SSC has been announcing/releasing lately, I decided to look around on the web to try and find some interesting books on dinosaurs. As I began my search I quickly found that everywhere I searched I found a TON of kids books about Dinosaurs and hardly any (if any at all) for adults.

I started to realize that for some reason, the topic of Dinosaurs has always been related to children. I mean when you think about it, its only when you are a kid that you are inundated with a mass amount of Dino related products, from books to toys, to movies, ect. As I started to come to this realization I began getting a little frustrated because I, as an adult as well as many of you out there and here on the boards, know that Dinosaurs ARE FREAKIN AWESOME, and enjoy them as such. So my question is, why should society look at it like its some kind of "kid phase" that people grow out of and that if an adult takes interest in Dinosaurs its "cute" or "thats nice, you like dinosaurs"........is it just me or do you guys know what Im talking about?

Hey guys, I was just noticing recently, and have been coming to the realization, of a few things that are really dumb and kind of annoying.......something I never really thought about until recently when looking for some good Dino reading material.

Now I myself as a kid LOVED Dinosaurs, and I read tons of books on them and was completely fascinated by them. However, this began to fade as I grew older and moved onto Junior High, High School, ect. But now as an adult I find myself really loving them as much as did when I was kid and even more so now because I can fully understand how amazing these creatures were and incredibly how intriguing there time on earth was. (which was an insanely long time by our standards)

So anyway, In light of all the new Dino pieces SSC has been announcing/releasing lately, I decided to look around on the web to try and find some interesting books on dinosaurs. As I began my search I quickly found that everywhere I searched I found a TON of kids books about Dinosaurs and hardly any (if any at all) for adults.

I started to realize that for some reason, the topic of Dinosaurs has always been related to children. I mean when you think about it, its only when you are a kid that you are inundated with a mass amount of Dino related products, from books to toys, to movies, ect. As I started to come to this realization I began getting a little frustrated because I, as an adult as well as many of you out there and here on the boards, know that Dinosaurs ARE FREAKIN AWESOME, and enjoy them as such. So my question is, why should society look at it like its some kind of "kid phase" that people grow out of and that if an adult takes interest in Dinosaurs its "cute" or "thats nice, you like dinosaurs"........is it just me or do you guys know what Im talking about?

I know what you mean man...I think it has to do with how children are so full of wonder and fascination by so many more things than adults and Dinosaurs are one of those things that brings wonder, awe and excitement to a child, so that's prob the reason why they cater more to children than adults...

At the same time tho, we adults can easily find that sense of wonder and awe about these creatures as well, you just have to know where to look for info...Talk to my man Scar, he'll hook you up with some good reads...Ive read the novel "Raptor Red" and just finished a very informative book on Dinosauria " The Dinosaur Heresies"...So we can find dinosaurs interesting and fascinating again as adults man, you just have to know where to look and thanks to Scar he has really boosted my interest and awe about these wonderful creatures, so like I said talk to him, he can help you out with any info you need...Hope this helps :)

I think Jurassic Park actually did a great deal to dispel dinosaurs as the realm of either children or academics, and no one in between. A great deal of the movie had a wide number of graphic and frightening scenes, and if you've ever read the book, well... in terms of being graphic and frightening, I suppose by comparison the movie caters to children far more than the novel.

For example, in the movie Dennis Nedry is spat in the face by a Dilophosaurus and then devoured within his jeep; now compare that to the book with Nedry running through wet, dense foliage at night, confused and disoriented having recently had the saliva of a Dilophosaurus smack wetly upon his eyes and cheeks, blinding him within instants. Nedry tumbles through the undergrowth a bit more, hearing the occasional sounds of his pursuing assailant as it toys with him. Soon he feels a warm, slippery mass within his hands and realizes he holds his own entrails. Moments later he feels a vice-like grip tightening upon his head and he is lifted from the ground by his skull, blackness consuming him as the Dilophosaurus begins its meal. One can't say that this reading material is rated "G", and far from fun for the squeamish. Michael Crichton went a long way to make dinosaurs the parlance of an adult audience, and for that I shall forever be indebted to him.

The best authors of paleobiological literature accurately convey dinosaurs as animals, no different from extant organisms walking the earth today aside from their appearances. David Krentz is entirely correct in the SS Dinosauria Inside Look when he states that as children we often first experience death in learning about dinosaurs. I know that was my exposure to it. Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex were the first killers I ever knew... and admired! :naughty :lol

I know what you mean man...I think it has to do with how children are so full of wonder and fascination by so many more things than adults and Dinosaurs are one of those things that brings wonder, awe and excitement to a child, so that's prob the reason why they cater more to children than adults...

At the same time tho, we adults can easily find that sense of wonder and awe about these creatures as well, you just have to know where to look for info...Talk to my man Scar, he'll hook you up with some good reads...Ive read the novel "Raptor Red" and just finished a very informative book on Dinosauria " The Dinosaur Heresies"...So we can find dinosaurs interesting and fascinating again as adults man, you just have to know where to look and thanks to Scar he has really boosted my interest and awe about these wonderful creatures, so like I said talk to him, he can help you out with any info you need...Hope this helps :)

Always happy to oblige, James! :rock :rock :rock

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, the REAL dinosaur literature isn't for kids. In fact, it usually takes a fair bit of familiarity with biological and paleontological terminology to delve into the really interesting material. I can recommend a loooooot of books, most of which I'm certain you can find on Amazon.com, though they probably range from $40-90. If you're interested, let me know.

Last edited:
Back